The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to deal with oil starvation issue. Interested in opinions about pros and cons of these products. I know there are other threads discussing each individually but I'm interested in opinions as to which would be the best solution and why (over one of the others).
Has anyone blown a motor (due to oil starvation) while using any of these products?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Planning to deal with oil starvation issue. Interested in opinions about pros and cons of these products. I know there are other threads discussing each individually but I'm interested in opinions as to which would be the best solution and why (over one of the others).
Has anyone blown a motor (due to oil starvation) while using any of these products?
1) The crank scraper - well it scrapes the crank.
2) I am thinking that the Moroso and Bimoni are oil pans.
3) I know that the Accusump is an accumulator.

Do you want a comparison of the items in #2?
Otherwise it is like comparing apples, oranges and asparagus.
They all all designed to do different things.

(The right answer is probably for you to get the accusump.)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
That means asparagus is better... I knew it!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The Cliff Notes (TM) version:
crank scraper - reduces HP lost to churning the oil, marginally increase the in-pan available oil, but won't guarantee pressure
Moroso oil pan- has baffles to minimize oil sloshing, which should help keep the oil pump pickup submerged
Accusump - if it is used correctly (it is possible to misuse), probably the best option of those you listed for preventing oil starvation. Depending on your application, may be overkill. Briefly keeps oil volume and pressure if there is a sudden loss in your system. Works in conjunction with a baffled oil pan if you have one.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Cliff Notes (TM) version:
crank scraper - reduces HP lost to churning the oil, marginally increase the in-pan available oil, but won't guarantee pressure
Moroso oil pan- has baffles to minimize oil sloshing, which should help keep the oil pump pickup submerged
Accusump - if it is used correctly (it is possible to misuse), probably the best option of those you listed for preventing oil starvation. Depending on your application, may be overkill. Briefly keeps oil volume and pressure if there is a sudden loss in your system. Works in conjunction with a baffled oil pan if you have one.
Thanks. I suppose one could do all three. Crank scraper to pick up a few horses by eliminating the parasitic drag of oil clinging to the crank (how many could we be talking about, 2 or 3?) and redepositing that oil in the pan. A baffled pan (would still like to hear from someone who can compare/ contrast the Moroso and Bimoni) to keep the oil from sloshing to the point of causing the oil pick up to suck air, and the Accusump to maintain oil pressure just in case that happens. Is this gilding the lily? (to do all three)

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Thanks. I suppose one could do all three. Crank scraper to pick up a few horses by eliminating the parasitic drag of oil clinging to the crank (how many could we be talking about, 2 or 3?) and to redepositing that oil in the pan. A baffled pan (would still like to hear from someone who can compare/ contrast the Moroso and Bimoni) to keep the oil from sloshing to the point of causing the oil pick up to suck air, and the Accusump to maintain oil pressure just in case that happens. Is this gilding the lily?
You are correct. If money were no object, that's what I would do.

And as long as money were no object, might as well improve the oil pump gears. There are failures out there, but perhaps from abuse (RPM or otherwise)? :shrug:

I can't speak to the Bimoni.

P.S. Accusump would protect you (for a short period) from other catastrophic failures, not just oil pump pickup starvation. You can even prepressurize your oil system before you start the engine.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct. If money were no object, that's what I would do.

And as long as money were no object, might as well improve the oil pump gears. There are failures out there, but perhaps from abuse (RPM or otherwise)? :shrug:
Yup, I'm putting in the Circuit Works oil pump gear. I blew my motor (lost all of the oil from a broken oil line). I have a new (well, slightly used) motor being shipped. Want to do all I can to bullit proof it. Upgraded valves, springs, pistons, oil pump gear, etc.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
didn't someone (Eddie maybe?) blow an engine due to oil starvation on the track even with the Moroso pan?

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's an interesting article in an old issue of DSPORT about crank scrapers, but I remember that the over all review of them was positive. that being said it's not the same as the accusump or a large capacity baffled oil pan. I also do not see why you couldn't use a crank scraper in conjunction with either the pan or the accusump. I'd get the scraper with accusump personally. since the oil starvation problem seem to mostly make it's self known during long duration high g turns, I don't really see how a baffle will work. during these turns the oil pushes the baffle closed, meaning that the volume of oil locked in becomes the only oil you can use....granted it's better than all the oil moving away from the sump, but even that volume will run out quickly. a large capacity accusump should be able to provide oil to the engine for a longer duration than the baffled area in the pan. well that's my two pennies

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
There's an interesting article in an old issue of DSPORT about crank scrapers, but I remember that the over all review of them was positive. that being said it's not the same as the accusump or a large capacity baffled oil pan. I also do not see why you couldn't use a crank scraper in conjunction with either the pan or the accusump. I'd get the scraper with accusump personally. since the oil starvation problem seem to mostly make it's self known during long duration high g turns, I don't really see how a baffle will work. during these turns the oil pushes the baffle closed, meaning that the volume of oil locked in becomes the only oil you can use....granted it's better than all the oil moving away from the sump, but even that volume will run out quickly. a large capacity accusump should be able to provide oil to the engine for a longer duration than the baffled area in the pan. well that's my two pennies
Doesn't the effectiveness of a baffled pan depend on where the "returned" oil goes? For example, when you're in a high G turn, the baffles that close are those that are to the "outside" of the turn... effectively changing the geometry of the reservoir so that the pickup becomes closer to the effective "outside" of the useful volume. If the oil cycled through the engine is returned to the center baffled area, the volume that is blocked by the baffles is starved, not the volume under the pickup...

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes that's true to an extent.. but since the oil literally falls out of the engine everywhere over the pan, you would then need a scraper, windage tray or something to guide the oil to that area...it's been a while since I looked at the moroso pan, but i do not recall it having quite that kind of design. I'm never seen the other pan. really what it comes down to for myself is that I feel more confident the acusump will do a better job of ensuring the oil pressure will not disappear.

Ultimately the best way to go on a high g car is a dry sump and proper upkeep.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
yes that's true to an extent.. but since the oil literally falls out of the engine everywhere over the pan, you would then need a scraper, windage tray or something to guide the oil to that area...it's been a while since I looked at the moroso pan, but i do not recall it having quite that kind of design. I'm never seen the other pan. really what it comes down to for myself is that I feel more confident the acusump will do a better job of ensuring the oil pressure will not disappear.

Ultimately the best way to go on a high g car is a dry sump and proper upkeep.
The Moroso pan does have a windage tray in addition to baffling...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up.
If you were to do all three, the most sensible would be to go with a dry sump.
You don't need the scraper and the baffled sump with a dry sump.
And the accusump is essentially built in as well.

But even a dry sump will not help you if an oil line breaks.

I doubt that the broken oil line was caused by sloshing, so you might just be b
better off with an audible alarm when the pressure gets low.

So yes - I think you are gilding the lily - you really just need an alarm.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although, clearly a dry sump is the safest way to go, I don't think it is a realistic choice for our cars. IE: I don't know of any car running it because I don't think the system is readily available and a custom made set up would require significant modifications. If anyone out there is running a dry sump, please post.
RE: The Moroso pan. I heard there is a new version for the Lotus. Anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Although, clearly a dry sump is the safest way to go, I don't think it is a realistic choice for our cars. IE: I don't know of any car running it because I don't think the system is readily available and a custom made set up would require significant modifications. If anyone out there is running a dry sump, please post.
RE: The Moroso pan. I heard there is a new version for the Lotus. Anyone know anything about that?
I am looking to pick up the Moroso pan so I would love to know if there is a newly design one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have run data on OE pan, OE pan w/Acusump and Morosso pan W/Acusump.

OE pan is very bad for track use. Preasure down to 18lb under WOT.

OE pan W/Accusump preasure fell to 24Lb

Morosso pan was by far the best. fell only to 32 lb under WOT. There were by far less spike drops per lap with the Morosso pan.

For track cars I would recomend a pan change before the Accusump.

My 2Cent anyway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts