The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

most competitive street class Lotus for SCCA 2017

16K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  RoHo 
#1 ·
I see that the new 2017 SCCA autocross rules now allow the Lotus Elise, Exige, Exige S, and Exige SC in the super street class!
So my question is, which specific model and year and options are going to be the most ideal for an autocross only car for the SS class?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Turns out that was a mistake per the March Fastrack and SC cars are still excluded.

I think there is still a good chance they will end up in SS in 2018, but I wouldn't go buying a particular car yet. If the class listing stays the same as in the book now an $260 would be ideal, $240 below that. Elise SC has the narrower front wheel than the NA Elise, so I would imagine that would be more handicap than the power difference. Certainly would be fun, but I don't know if I can justify the $$ the SC cars are now getting.

#21312 2017 Lotus Classing
Thank you for pointing out this error in the draft rule book on the SCCA website. The
proposal #20242 (see the November Fastrack) to move the forced induction Elise and
Exige into SS for 2018 is published for member comment. For 2017, these forced
induction models will remain on the exclusion list and the naturally aspirated Elise will
remain classed in SS.

#3 ·
For 2018... Exige S260 w/ LSD option

I'm not familiar with the spring options for the Exige. If the soft, progressive springs are an option, avoid them or swap them for the LSS spring rates. If stiffer springs are an option, go that route. Shocks swapped to better units, so they're not a deal breaker. The optional Ohlins dampers could work quite well.

#10 · (Edited)
Evora (non S) is in A Street without modifications. Given that the Evora isn't classed in most modified classes, I'd recommend registering your car in SSM... even though it's technically not allowed. Regionally it won't matter.

SCCA classing is sensitive to modifications. Here's a simplified (very simplified) version of what modifications are allowed in each category:

Street: (my car prior to 2017)
- Wheels +/- 1" diameter from stock
- 200+ TW tires, any width you can fit with stock width wheels
- Front _or_ rear anti-roll bar
- Cat-back exhaust that exits in stock location
- Dampers (2-way adjustable max) that are +/- 1" of OE length

Street Touring: (no Lotus in ST* classes)
- Wheel/tire width restrictions by class
- 200+ TW tires
- Exhaust open, cat must remain in stockish location
- Tunes allowed, no boost adjustment, OBD2 must remain
- Springs/dampers open
- Anti-roll bars open
- 25+ lb seats
- Radiator, oil coolers, oil pan, etc. can be mounted
- Brakes can be modified (rotors equal or larger in dimension to OE)
- Engine & trans mounts (equal or greater in weight to OE)
- Non metal suspension bushings
- Aftermarket LSD

Street Prepared: (many Lotus)
- All ST allowances
- No wheel/tire width limits
- DOT slicks allowed
- Spoilers and small splitters
- Tunes totally open (turbo boost changes ok, no supercharger pulley changes)
- Body work changes to fit larger tires/wheels
- Stronger drivetrain components (no gearing changes)
- No cat(s) required
- Update/backdate of engine & trans within a model
- Fully upholstered lightweight seats
- A/C removal

Street Modified: (Glagola's car, Evora excluded)
- All SP allowances
- Engine modifications
- Switch from NA to FI
- Wings, larger splitters (no diffuser changes)
- Further bodywork changes
- Further suspension changes
- Weight limits by displacement, FI, tire width & drivetrain type
- Ballast may be added

Beyond that... Prepared (Fzust's car, Evora not listed)

#9 · (Edited)
Both DO affect SCCA classing. I'm not familiar with the specifics for Evoras, but I seem to recall all Lotus being excluded from Street Touring classes where those two mods (wing and tune) typically land most common street vehicles (when wearing 200+ Treadwear rated rubber).

...and I just tried to figure this out. Good news is that I was wrong about Lotus being excluded from Street Touring classes. The Evora S is in Super Street R, but I didn't see the NA version. Perhaps yours would fall into one of their "catch all" assignments based on engine displacement + RWD + #seats + coupe.

Presumably others more knowledgeable than I will offer a better answer.

#12 ·
Just register for the event and someone there, probably in tech inspection, will help you class your car. In the Atlanta region, we have a novice group and it really does not matter what you bring. That way, you get to experience AX while you figure out where your car should be classed when you are ready to compete. Just do it!

#14 ·
Cal Club have a couple of "local" classes:

CALIFORNIA STREET TOURING (CST):
Vehicles eligible for CST must comply with the rules of CSM, with the exception that all of the
tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 140 or higher molded by the
manufacturer on the sidewall.

CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM):
Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California, shall be
run on DOT approved tires and must meet all SCCA Solo Safety requirements.

Cheers.

#17 ·
From the November Fastrack !

Recommended Items for 2018
The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all
comments, both for and against, to the Solo Events Board. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at www.soloeventsboard.com

#20242 Lotus Elise Classing
Move to SS from the exclusion list:
Lotus
Elise SC (2008-2011)
Exige S (exc S260, club racer)(2006-2011)
Also move from SS to AS:
Lotus
Elise (non supercharged) (2005-2011)
Exige (non supercharged) (2006-2011

#21 ·
So on paper the choice between the early 07 S and the S240 is kinda hard. The early car is lighter and comes with 6.5" front wheels vs the S240 that comes with 6" front wheels.

Ugh, why did Lotus shrink the front wheels? So, which is worth more time on course: .5" of front wheel or 20hp.

#24 ·
Last August I requested that the wording be changed to exclude only the "S260 Sport" (SCCA letter #22258). It was not approved in the September Fastrack.
So I get to run SSP with a stock S260 for another year. That makes an noncompetitive car with and noncompetitive driver. Not a good combination.

#28 ·
Time to enjoy it on a road course!

#27 ·
I saw the rules listSCCA has and its the primary reason I have always stayed awy. They regulate just about everything except tire pressure. Can't just arrive and have some fun as an amateur.

#29 ·
You can totally just arrive as a novice and have plenty of fun. Our region has a novice class with instructors and all. The rules are there because when people choose to become competitive (and many decide not to ever), they will push the rules to the last degree. People are very creative.

I think you have a misunderstanding of auto-x.

#33 ·
LSS is Lotustalk speak for Sport Pack. It came standard on the Exige.

The 08 model year change to the half inch narrower wheel was in the front only. The wheels otherwise look identical.
Interesting. So I am glad when I picked up a spare LSS wheel set, I was lucky to get the 6.5" inch version for my NA. I would have never guessed there are 6" wide versions that look identical.

#36 ·
SCCA announced January 2020 at the convention that they are adding two classes to the Autocross list that Elige owners would be interested in. The class name is Xtreme Street (XS) with XSA for heavier cars and XSB for lighter cars. The minimum weight limit for RWD is 2150 pounds without a driver. Since my Exige is listed at 2050 in stock form it might require additional weight; I will have to weigh the car with fuel. It is a supplemental class for 2020 meaning not eligable for Nationals in September.

From the announcement:
The purpose of the Xtreme Street (XS) Category is to attract automobile enthusiasts interested in autocross events with street vehicles using minimal rules that allow for creative modifications with limited restrictions. This category is intended to appeal to regional/local competitors who would like to compete with a modified car on street tires but would otherwise be classed in high-prep race tire categories.

Boiled down this very similar to the CAM (Classic American Muscle) classes that were added a few years back. Not many restrictions, targeted at the moderate to hefty mods often seen on track cars and enthusiast cars but still street legal. The CAM classes became very popular since they are not that many restrictions. Unlike Prepared and Modified classes where any lightly modified Elige would be placed previously, these new classes allow the usual 200 TW rated tires used in the ST (Street Touring) classes.

This means you can drive to the event on your street tires, no race tires, trailers, etc. If you were wanting to autocross a modified Lotus without the cost and trouble of race tires this is it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.