The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an observation. I have noticed that most people interested in purchasing the Elise are already used to driving very small cars. When looking at the lists of other cars owned, many already have tiny cars like the MR2, Mini, TR6, Elan and Miata, so going with the extremely small Elise is not that big a stretch for them.
I think that if you are not used to small cars, going with the Elise is going to be a big shock. Those are the ones I think are dropping off the waiting lists.
Personally I also prefer small cars, and I guess that's why I have kept my 1988 Honda Civic hatchback for over 16 years as my beater/utility car. Another plus with the Honda is that it has no power steering, which is probably why I really love the steering in the Elise.
I test drove a Krypton green Elise LSS last week and sure getting in and out will take time to master, though it was not that bad even without practice. I even got out without putting the seat all the way back which I have been told is the way to go. I found the cockpit so very cool with the exposed aluminum and just so small and intimate, just love that. When race car drivers talk about the driver becoming one with the car, I definitely experienced that feeling more than any other street car I have driven. The Krypton green looked really great in the showroom however when it was taken out, it just lost some of its appeal (cloudy day). The ride was not rough or choppy at all even with the LSS setup; I was expecting it to be quite harsh. I found the windshield to be a little low, and I am only 5'9" tall so I can't imagine how taller drivers find it. Any others find this?
I must say that this car is sneaky quick. I was driving on a city street and looked down and noticed I was going over 80mph. didn’t feel that fast. The sport tires had plenty of grip even though the outside temp was around 40.
Looking forward to getting my own.
Cheers

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot.....!!!!!

Just passed 461,000 kms(286,500miles). I definitely got my moneys worth with this car. Only cost me $9,200 Canadian. It has been everywhere. Almost all states and provinces. All states except 5, Hawaii, Alaska and the few smaller states in the northeast, RI, VT, ME. I just love to drive and see new places.
Anyone been to the Big Texan in Amarillo Texas, and tried to eat the 72oz steak in one hour???
Cheers

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think it has more to do with their waistlines than anything else ;)

BTW - My previous car was a Corvette Z06 which I consider to be the "Anti Elise"; or "anti small". Amazing how two cars accomplish basiscally the same levels of performance and yet are so different.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Maverick, I'd venture to say that those who purchased an Elise and actually KEEP it for say, 3yrs minimum(assuming its not a lemon, or forced to sell by other significant event) are those that are into small cars. I think it will be a minority, even with the limited number of cars to be had.
I think a majority of Elise buyers view it as a piece of flash status jewelry... Like the yuppie BMW culture in the early to mid 80's last century.
Some of the Goldchainers will become hooked of course.
This would exclude the "Flippers", who merely saw an opportunity to make money with the Elise seen as a commodity to them.
We've seen this microculture to some extent with the Nubug and NuMINI.
m

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tend to agree with thegit that there is a certain percentage of people that will buy the Elise and then sell it within 3 years. They'll find out that it's the same infatuation that Dudley Moore had with Bo Derrick in the movie 10.

For the rest of the owners, familiarity with small and even quirky cars makes Elise ownership worthwhile.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I also added up that the over 20 cars i have had, more than 1/2 did NOT have power steering - what attracts me to the Elise is its "old school" content. of course... no touring pack for me! it just feels like a modern old alfa/porsche/tvr etc...

·
Registered
322 Posts
"small cars"

Agreed.

All of the cars I have owned, save a 1963 Dodge Hemi, have all come in under 3,000 lbs. In my current set of cars two of them are in the 2,100-2,200 pound range and the third comes in between 2,700 and 2,800 lbs. None of these have power brakes or power steering. The heavy one (2,750) has 225/50 Yokohama AVS intermediates on it and is nearly impossible to parallel park. I bumped a curb with it one day and dislocated my thumb.

Unfortunately they are a bit lacking in HP (130 to 240) but they make that up in handling. I have owned one for 18 years, another for 9 and the last for 7. Their real ages are 38, 37 and 18. Two will go to make room, both real and virtual, for the Elise. The keeper will probably find itself on the vintage circuit some day, I hope.

SY promised by 02/05

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maverick1 said:
This is just an observation. I have noticed that most people interested in purchasing the Elise are already used to driving very small cars....I think that if you are not used to small cars, going with the Elise is going to be a big shock. Those are the ones I think are dropping off the waiting lists.
Well, I had a Jag XJ8 over the summer, traded it in for a 2004 GTO and traded that in for the Elise when it arrived many months before I expected to receive it. The GTO is large and the XJ8 obviously is too. I did mull over trading in the GTO & losing the muscle & space it offered, but have no regrets about downsizing...it's the driving experience that matters.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maverick1 said:
This is just an observation. I have noticed that most people interested in purchasing the Elise are already used to driving very small cars.
So i'm the exception my other car is a 98 Durango. Its huge compared to the Elise.

it took a few days of driving the Elise to get used to being in such a smaller car.

Vince

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Re: Re: Most Elise owners and potential owners already into small cars...

demarco said:
So i'm the exception my other car is a 98 Durango. Its huge compared to the Elise.

it took a few days of driving the Elise to get used to being in such a smaller car.

Vince
I have to be careful when switching between front drive and rear drive machines.
m

1 - 11 of 11 Posts