The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get a recap of the frequent problems new owners have experienced. Let me know if I've missed something:

1) Unstable idle. Nothing major but possibly caused by the ECU learning its environment.

2) Oil cooler problems.

3) Stone Guard problems. Usually bubbling or not fitting properly.

4) Minor electrical problems. Connectors coming unconnected.

5) A/C Problems. Possibly freezing caused reduced cooling capacity.

6) Flickering shift lights.

Is there anything else I missed or would someone like to elaborate more on the items I mentioned? I'm trying to get an idea of what the Elise's teething problems are. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
4) Minor electrical problems. Connectors coming unconnected.
That was probably just me. The top slid in the trunk and pulled a tail light/turn signal connector loose. Not really a problem that you can blame on Lotus - except for the lack of a hold down for storing the top in the boot...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The seal between the door and the window on the driver's side is not flush to the window in one area. It looks almost like the seal was creased at one point in time. You can see past the seal, so water will be able to get down there.

I have front end squeek probably related to swaybar bushings.

Add misaligned headlights to your list, too.

Should probably note that many of those problems are rare and not to be expected (like the loose electrical connectors).

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: Re: Most frequent mechanical problems with the Elise

TimMullen said:
That was probably just me. The top slid in the trunk and pulled a tail light/turn signal connector loose. Not really a problem that you can blame on Lotus - except for the lack of a hold down for storing the top in the boot...
TECH_KO had a disabling electrical problem.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I'm just trying to get a recap of the frequent problems new owners have experienced. Let me know if I've missed something:

3) Stone Guard problems. Usually bubbling or not fitting properly.

Is there anything else I missed or would someone like to elaborate more on the items I mentioned? I'm trying to get an idea of what the Elise's teething problems are. Thanks.

Can't really say this is a Lotus issue. I think your post implies "factory" issues of which this is not.

Crappy installers at port.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

huggy bear said:
Can't really say this is a Lotus issue. I think your post implies "factory" issues of which this is not.

Crappy installers at port.
Good point. I was actually looking for any type of problem, but I added "mechanical" to avoid the, "can't stop smiling" or "not enough time to drive" responses.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The only "problem" i've had so far is the headlights being misaligned. Nothing from 1-6, and no water leaks.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Problems

adriver said:
I seem to recall a post regarding an over-sensitive alarm/motion detector from an owner.
That was me. In a major rain storm, the alarm would sound. But, on reading the manual (maybe I should try that more often!), I see that it says to close the dash vents when you park, presumably to keep air from rushing in during the storm, and setting off the alarm. Haven't tried that yet. Frankly, who's gonna remember to close all the vents every time they park?

As for other problems:

- One of my parking lights was disconnected -- that was caught on PDI.

- I have a bit of squeaking, too. Not sure if it's from inside the car or out. Someone suggested the swaybar bushings, and I see MattG suggesting the same. (I mentioned this at the 1K service. They told me they didn't hear any squeaking. When I went to drive off, I didn't get 30 feet before I heard it, but it was too late to have it re-checked.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

TimMullen said:
The top slid in the trunk and pulled a tail light/turn signal connector loose. Not really a problem that you can blame on Lotus - except for the lack of a hold down for storing the top in the boot...
I was trying to design a bracket to hold it in place. But the bracket mounted to the carpet with Velcro, and frankly, using the Velcro repeatedly would end up damaging the carpet.

But I have another idea -- something so ingenious, so fiendishly clever, so brilliant, that you will all bow down unto me, and worship at my feet. (Well, maybe not. But you might like it.) I'll be trying it out in the next few days. Will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh sure, not only do we wait forever for our cars but now we must wait for the solution to the amazing traveling top. DOOMED!

Richard Fogg

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: Most frequent mechanical problems with the Elise

pinmagic said:
But I have another idea -- something so ingenious, so fiendishly clever, so brilliant, that you will all bow down unto me, and worship at my feet...I'll be trying it out in the next few days. Will let you know if it works.
Oh great, a cliffhanger. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
rattling doors anyone? when the driver's side power window is down it rattles. i'm thinking of opening up the door panel to see if there's something fixable there. i seem to remember others complaining of this.

also there's quite a bit of wind/ wind-noise coming in from the upper front corner of the driver's side window when it's all the way up with the canvas top. haven't had any rain yet to know if it will leak. if i push my finger up into the corner from the inside, i can definitely reduce the amount of wind coming in. i'm not sure this is really a window alignment problem, because the window seems to seat firmly against the rubber top seal of the roof.

maybe a case of TADTS.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The manual states to expect some degree of wind noise. They can adjust the tilt of the window to seat it tighter in the seals (remove door panel adjusters at the bottom). Another fix are the turn buckles on the wire cables on each side of the top, dealer can increase tension on these.

Might have a loose bolt as have encountered no rattling with the windows.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
yagobob said:

also there's quite a bit of wind/ wind-noise coming in from the upper front corner of the driver's side window when it's all the way up with the canvas top.
Maybe TADTS. Mine did this too, after 1000 miles, I found myself holding my hand over the seals in the corner trying to make it stop. Just the one corner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts