1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
group buy, anyone? anyone? lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wikipedia says they were never "widely popular". Clearly not written by a Detroiter. We all had them. Never heard them called a brodie knob though. Where did that come from?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Neckin' Knob!
:coolnana:

·
Registered
470 Posts
to be serious i used one a lot when i was farming with my day. having to turn a large tractor, this helped alot. especially when having to drive while looking back wards.

Dark,

do you use it when racing?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Too funny! rotfl

I was actually telling my son (Trevor, on here) about these from "back in the day", when with much heavier vehicles, these were nearly a must, pre (non) power assisted steering days. I had one on my '66 Plymouth Valiant Signet (the "fancy/cushy" version to the barracuda), up until getting an equipment violation ticket for it, back in 1977 Massachusetts. They were that year banned in cars, and for all vehicles except farm-use exception vehicles at the time.

Man... That picture just fired up a whole SH-load of nostalgia and "bad-A" teenage driving memories! ;) Nothing like it, what a suicide knob could do to "cure" a full 3.5 turn, lock-to-lock e-brake, high-speed U-eee (eeeeee!) pulled right in the middle of a(n) (unauthorized) 1/4-mile (abandonded) Industrial Park "drag"! :eek: rotfl :evil:

Ahhhhh, the days......

And Trevor, if you are reading this: :no: ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
ok seriously how much does it weigh? I need at least 3 of em. you know for when I wear out the first 2.rotfl

·
Registered
424 Posts
We all had them. Never heard them called a brodie knob though. Where did that come from?
I put one on my dad's car, didn't have power steering.

As far as "Brodie Knob" goes: There's a story that goes around that back in the day, in Bakersfield, CA a bunch of teenagers left a Buck Owen's tavern appearance where he introduced the song, "I've got a tiger by the tail." Outside they saw a man hollering and rolling in the dirt. Some say he was thrown out for trying to lick a waitress's arm while Buck was singing. Brodie, in his 40's, and a former minor league catcher, brushed himself off outside the tavern and dance hall. He began hollering and ranting.

Bob "Bronco" Brodie bragged about how he could drive full speed towards the railroad tracks, in his '51 Ford business coupe, spin his "suicide knob" while grabbing the hand brake and do a 180 across two tracks while narrowly missing the Union Pacific train that roared through town at 75mph, pulling 87 loaded box cars around midnight. Bronco said, "Now that's whatcha call a tiger by the tail." By then a crowd had gathered and the bets went down.

Two weeks later kids at school started selling "Brodie Knobs" tailored after the knob that they found in the driveway of a Taco Bell with a tooth imbeded in the clear plastic, 1 and a quarter miles from the collision. Parents wouldn't let the kids say, "suicide knob" not wanting Bob "Bronco" Brodie's three X wives any undue embarrassment.

After that the Knobs were called "Brodie Knobs" and the expression he got Brodie'd became popular and eventually spread up the hill and into the greater Los Angeles Basin.

Today a real Brodie Knob with a tooth embedded in clear plastic is worth the price of a Henry J.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Wikipedia says they were never "widely popular". Clearly not written by a Detroiter. We all had them. Never heard them called a brodie knob though. Where did that come from?
Spinning in a circle has long been a 'broadie' or 'brody' - same thing when doing a full circular burnout. Doing a 'brodie.' :coolnana:

·
Registered
531 Posts
My Dad had one on his Datsun, he loved it. :shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
haha that gave me my laugh for the morning :D

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've used them before... on fork-lifts. When you spend most of your time driving backwards with one hand, they are nice to have.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'd like to see some lotus-branded curb feelers...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I remember watching a city bus rounding the hairpin at the Canadian Grand Prix a bunch of years ago between support races. Poor driver was rowing the wheel around with one of those like a maniac. Must've been a blast to do though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts