The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one knows if the Motec M4 ECU can be used as a stand alone and if no y not and are there going to be any problems if i use it as a parallel with the Lotus ECU?

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
This Lotus uses a Motec M400 engine management unit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kvyj0IkFlhg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kvyj0IkFlhg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Have fun with the wiring. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have talked with Motec (since my company has been working with them) and they offered to put an ECU on my car.. but I already had the EFI or I would have. I can't see why it would not work. If you need some contacts, let me know.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the concern i have with the Motec M4 is that it cant replace the factory ECU becoz it cant control VVTL-i system ( i think only the M800 and maybe the M600 can do that ) so the only way is to let the factory ecu control the VVTL-i and dash instruments and let the motec control everything else right? Now isnt that the same thing as the piggybank setups? Whats the difference betwin piggybanks and parallel systems? We already done the wiring the car starts and works fine ( no dyno runs yet ) but we have engine check light on all the time now ( i suppose thats becoz the stock ecu now cant find the wires that are now connected to the motec)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer Randy :bow: i will talk to the guy that works on my car today and ill send you a pm after i know exactly what’s going on. Btw the Exige on the video that works with the M400…do u know if it’s a parallel setup?

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are dead right the M4 cant drive the valve actuation system that is why the m400 is used. The car in that video was build in Sydney Australia. Here is a link to another built in Melbourne using what I believe will be the the Charlie x set up being talked about in another thread on this forum.....Not confirmed I could be wrong however...

It was developed in conjunction with TurboXS. It uses a m400 in parallel with the lotus ecu. Charlies input or flash I am led to believe will mean the m400 is not required if he flashes the ecu to accomodate the set up.....

Turning the Exige into an Exocet!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Also look at Autronic, built by one of the original designers of Motec with equal quality & usually more features with a better/cheaper price

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car on the link uses the M800 that can control pretty much everything. On the motec web page it says that the M400 can continuously control the camshaft variable but its an extra feature and u have to pay to unlock it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the thing is that i already got the M4 and if there is a way to make the system work with out having the problems that the piggybanks have and not blowing my engine then ill go with the M4. Only if there is no way to make it work then ill change it.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
ya-buts

Hate to sound like one of those guys stating the obvious.... but could you not sell the m400 to get a few bucks for it and go with EFI? There are several of us that would help you tune it and it's already tried and true. It has VVT control as well...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, The system we offer is based on the 1.2. With the splice in kit it is modified specifically to work with the lotus. I'm sure you'd have to make changes with the M400(internal components/software) to get it to work correctly.

EB Turbo
DRS Tech

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
The stock cluster can work, its up to you. The typical installation of the EFI for instance, will allow the stock cluster to work just fine... it will show a MIL, but I believe there's even a work around for that as well. So yes, the stock cluster works just fine with the standalone.

I went ahead and stripped the car of stock cluster and installed the the Race-technology Dash2 display. I've got several pics on my webpage and there's a couple threads on the forum about it... I don't know of anyone else that's done an installation of an aftermarket display into the dash and maintained a stock-ish look just yet. I know MaineLotus is working on it, or may even be done. It's not that hard, and is a huge improvement over the stock cluster. With EFI in particular, you can even purchase one of their plug and play displays and use it in lieu of switch brands. Even less programming work in that case...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe the FF 380R car has the EFI dash display inplace of the stock one. the EFI system is capable of running the stock dash. its just a matter of setting up the correct CAN protocol.

EB Turbo

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks all of u guys for the help but i finally decided on the ECU :D We started working on the car today. We going to use the Electromotive Tec3R ECU with the AIM MXL Strada Dash. This Exige is starting to cost me on engine mods alone more than the whole car cost me -eek-. Here are the links for the ECU and Dash
AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition
TEC³ - by Electromotive
The link shows the Older Tec3 ECU the photo shows the newer R version.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well thanks all of u guys for the help but i finally decided on the ECU :D We started working on the car today. We going to use the Electromotive Tec3R ECU with the AIM MXL Strada Dash. This Exige is starting to cost me on engine mods alone more than the whole car cost me -eek-. Here are the links for the ECU and Dash
AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition
TEC³ - by Electromotive
The link shows the Older Tec3 ECU the photo shows the newer R version.
Do you have to add an external crank trigger to use this? And how wbout the cam reference? It's been a loooong time since I have used thier stuff. Just curious.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeap an external crank trigger is needed...the machine shop is working on the crank pulley at the moment. Ill will let you know as soon as the car is on the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts