The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14-year-old son doesn't have a manipulative bone in his body, yet his argument was startlingly persuasive. Allow me to explain.

The house in Texas has sold, my year-long divorce is final (allowing all proceeds from the sale of the house to be distributed), and I'm living on 50% salary for the next 5 years. Without mentioning any of that to my son, I exclaimed I thought it best to buy our Elise in five years time.

"That's what I was afraid of," he replied.

He then explains (rather maturely for his age I thought) how much fun it would be to ride around town and go to events with his old man during his high school years instead of waiting until he was "more grown up" with the possibility of college or work - potentially out-of-state - where he wouldn't have the time he has now to enjoy this period of his life with me. He just thought it would be "more fun" to do this sooner rather than later given the time we spend together these days.

I will admit to being taken completely by surprise, and honestly can't think of any rebuttal to his reasoning.

I have only one more divorce-incurred debt I need to address, then it will be time.

I'm obviously looking for inexpensive over pristine, so it doesn't need to be perfect (or even pretty, really) it needs to be mechanically sound (we're going to learn to work on it ourselves together), and Kansas DMV allows registration of salvage title. So I'm pretty much open for the best deal I can find, and I wouldn't think of doing anything without you guys weighing in when we find it.

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
My dad towed home my first car when I was 14. He said if it looked good and drive well by the time I was 16, I'd have a car to drive! He bought me books and tools and offered help and support. It was a great bonding experience and the foundation for my career as an industrial mechanic. It would be the best bonding experience and bring you closer. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Locost 7; build it together over the next couple years.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I have many replies to this...........

Never catch yourself saying -- "I should have, I would have, or I could have", because when you do its too late!

I too was once divorced and missed most of my sons teenage years due to the divorce and multiple deployments that ultimately lead to the divorce.

I do not like the person he has become and blame myself for a lot of it. I watch the guys at the track and AutoX with their boys and envy them.

If it has a positive impact on whom your son will become and make them a successful person in this day and age. Do it. You wont regret it.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
OP-

wirewheel.com - Wire Wheel Classic Sports Cars

All those cars that are listed with a rebuilt or salvaged title are good cars... Good way to save some dollars on a blem title car that you know new paint won't be covering up a REAL problem...

-Fellow Kansan:)

PS- Cool kid!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recommend staying away from building a locost as the likelihood of finishing and enjoying it is really slim. The costs can run away quickly, and the potential for disaster after building it is high. Buying a repaired car from Hayes at wirewheel is a good route, or a mildly higher mileage clean title car like the silver one in Virginia with 72k miles for $26500 (probably could be bought for $25k). I bought from Hayes in 2006, he is honest. Good luck, and definitely go for it while your son is interested.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
I don't have kids (and won't), but I still remember bonding with my dad over cars. We'd go down to Hot August Nights show n' shines and he'd tell me all about the classic cars. I was younger than your boy by a couple years, but those few experiences, with my dad and cars, really shaped me then, and are still shaping me now. It's really...really...really important. Don't miss that opportunity, especially if your kiddo came right out and said it.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I recommend staying away from building a locost as the likelihood of finishing and enjoying it is really slim. The costs can run away quickly, and the potential for disaster after building it is high.
Not to mention that resale is REALLY hard. I had a tough time getting rid of a known-ish quantity like a SuperStalker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts