The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Ride as if no one can see you because, more often than not, they don't."

I have heard this countless times before and have been loosely been toying with the idea of getting a sport bike and was just curious to read other's thoughts on the topic. I grew up riding all sorts of dirt bikes but having to share the roads with other vehicles will be a whole new experience.

Also, what are your insurance rates like?

Thanks in advance,

Noble

·
Registered
744 Posts
I stopped riding a few years ago due to the morons around me. Out of town would be OK for a ride in the country side but in town in San Antonio? Forget it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be happy to share my experiences...besides...motorcycles are a lifestyle for me!

I've been riding for 18 years now...can't get enough of it.

That being said, Lotus introduced me to something too good to pass up. Still...not ready to cross over completely from bikes to cars yet but I think it's a natural progression for some.

Until you've dragged your knee on the track...you just don't know what your missing (well...that's just one thing...there are many).

Cheers.:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
See my signature for bikes owned. Insurance through Harley Davidson (Progressive underwriting) is $1150 for full coverage on both bikes, $1000 deductible.

Clean driving record, 30, married, Houston, TX.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of the main reasons I stopped riding was sh#$ty construction roads
with pot holes mimicking the grand canyon, thanks TXDOT.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My motto on the bike is more like: "Ride as if everyone is trying to kill you."

Insurance rates are cheap. ~$250 per year for me. I am 43 and have a good record. But the real reason motorcycle rates are cheap is that bikes aren't that expensive (compared to cars) and your liability is low, meaning that in an accident, you are unlikely to seriously injure or kill someone in a car (although you might die). And a bike hitting a car doesn't do nearly as much damage to the car as a car-on-car accident.

Gas mileage is good, though. I've gotten anywhere from 43 to 55 MPG on my 600cc sportbike. I tell people I get all of the gas mileage of a Prius without looking like a dork! And even though it's "only" a 600cc, it's still crazy-fast.

PS: start out with a 600cc bike. It's more than enough.

I've been riding about 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
........PS: start out with a 600cc bike. It's more than enough.
Thanks, note taken.

The bike I looked at today was about twice that displacement, I might have some sort of death wish or something TADTS

Noble

·
Registered
81 Posts
I rarely ride on the street as it is no fun at all. There are dogs, cats, deer, gravel, cars, drop offs, trees, etc...

The track is the only place for me! I ride supermoto on kart tracks, and "race bikes" on the big tracks. 10-15 superbike days a year and another 10 supermoto get me all the fix I need.

Insurance costs nothing as well :nanner:

I ride dirt all winter which is a hoot as well.

I know a lot of people who think they can ride as fast on the street as they can the track, but that simply isn't the case - and regardless, you can't do it in a remotely safe fashion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Motorcycles can be safe with one of these !

I have never even come close ( touch wood) to anything because everyone seems so very respectful. Indeed they seem to slow down or stay behind me most of the time...I can't figure it out, but biking is safe with one of these...he he.:crazyeyes

Attachments

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Sounds like you already have the proper defensive attitude. I think you're ready to ride.

I ride very defensively and have had a few experiences where people didn't see me and made a boneheaded move. Because I was anticipating the possibility in each case, none of the incidents were even close to being an accident.

I live in a rural/residential area, so I don't have to ride in the city often. And I rarely ride at night. The threat of deer is too great.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Easy answer -> Depends on the road and the time.

There are places I wouldn't take my motorcycle or (at the time) Elise. That's what Volvos are for. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Moto44, is that a new CBR RR in your avatar? 600 or 1000?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I feel less safe than in my car but I wouldn't trade the experience for a car (okay maybe an Atom would come close :p). If I lived in a warmer climate the Lotus would be useless and sold.

I too agree with the "I ride as though everyone is trying to kill me" approach.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ride, like you want to live!

I am daunted to say that I've been riding for 30 years, and still ride almost every day. I commute to work on a bike, and ride for fun as well. I used to road race as a hobby, and also ride dirt bikes with my family. So, I think that you can ride safely, but the issue on the street is experience. Like most things, the devil is in the details. Seeing clues, anticipating, noticing patterns...all of these things give you that little edge that might help you avoid an accident. If you want details, pm me and we can go through the myriad of things that I look for when I ride that help me stay safe - and mind you, each of them has come as the result of a close call!

To ride a bike safely, you must be completely present in riding, and you must look out for yourself at every moment (and then you add experience and your chances go up, but not all the way to "safe").

tim

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You develop a sense for what other drivers are about to do - it'll amaze your friends. "This guy is going to get over two lanes without signaling, in 3... 2... 1..." Seriously.

Until then, rider like everyone around you is a hopped up adrenaline junkie in a white Dodge Challenger - hell, ride that way even after you figure it out.

18+ years here.
:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I commute daily in LA... pretty happy with being a lifestyle biker. My car hasn't had a battery in it for three weeks. The miata has become the weekend toy and the bike is my daily driver.

....but yes, people try to kill me every day. You have stay alert. Just keep in mind that every accident is your fault; counting on anyone else to do the right thing will get you killed.

...but I still really want a lotus, though the new family hauler is going to push it back a few years.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
If I lived in a warmer climate the Lotus would be useless and sold.
Ironically, that's one reason I sold my Elise a year ago. My commute to work is on nice residential canyon roads and the Elise was just a paper weight. That was also my justification for getting the Ducati.

I sold the Ducati because I still used the MV more and most of all, I was starting to have fear of being in an accident since I was riding more often and because I have a nine month old son -mostly because of my son. Which goes back to my original post on this thread. Now, I pick when and where I choose to ride -canyon rides to work = low risk vs. high risk trips to L.A. area.

Ironically, selling the Ducati brings me back to wanting an Exige S - but the thing is, I felt less save in the Elise than I do on a motorcycle. Mostly because in an evasive situation, I don't have as many escape routes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts