1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
if we could install in the nose like that i'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about having it inside the grill. not under the clam. The only thing I don't know how to get around is the middle tow hook thing.

Yes i know no front plate is the best thing to do, but just in case i have to go through a populated police area i'd like to be safer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had one of these and loved it but like several said it is to low under the car. Mine lasted about three months before I nicked it off the bottom of the car.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I'm thinking about having it inside the grill. not under the clam. The only thing I don't know how to get around is the middle tow hook thing.

Yes i know no front plate is the best thing to do, but just in case i have to go through a populated police area i'd like to be safer.
agreed - the po-po here in NH will enforce the plate law - if there is a way to do this internally - recessing it in the mouth of the car (ala celica video) - that would be awesome. The front plate destroys the looks of the car. I think the tow hook mount is connected to the crash structure... but not sure....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
agreed - the po-po here in NH will enforce the plate law - if there is a way to do this internally - recessing it in the mouth of the car (ala celica video) - that would be awesome. The front plate destroys the looks of the car. I think the tow hook mount is connected to the crash structure... but not sure....
it is, Do you guys have a picture of the system ? maybe we can find a way to go through the tow hook structure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had one of these and loved it but like several said it is to low under the car. Mine lasted about three months before I nicked it off the bottom of the car.
Can you post pictures of the retractable plate holder installed on your elise. Really wanted to see one installed on our cars. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
it is, Do you guys have a picture of the system ? maybe we can find a way to go through the tow hook structure.
I think the only way to put it inside the grill is to remove the front tow bar. But it might affect the crash structure of the car. I love to put one on my car and hope "Klint" can find a way to install it. :)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Is there room to one side of the vertical bar? The plate doesn't have to be centered, just visible from the front...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not on a Lotus, but I installed this on a customer's car. It's the Altec unit:

I would say if installed on the Lotus, it should go in the same area as where it was installed on the Celica in the link by the OP. I do have another new/unused retractable license plate holder in my office, I will test fit it to my car to see what kind of space we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Retractable Front License Plate Holder - YouTube

I would say if installed on the Lotus, it should go in the same area as where it was installed on the Celica in the link by the OP. I do have another new/unused retractable license plate holder in my office, I will test fit it to my car to see what kind of space we're talking about.
is there a way to install it upside down? that was it comes out from the clam and flips DOWN instead of up as shown in your video.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Retractable Front License Plate Holder - YouTube

Keep us updated! :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
375 Posts
That'd be pretty funny to get pulled over and the cop says it's because of no front plate and you give him a dumb stare. "What are you talking about officer? I have a front plate! Take a look!"
And then his confused look when he sees it on the front of the car moments later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts