The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a competition oil... it's heavier because you will be running at prolonged hard use. The Lotus manual specifies heavier oil for track use.

Cade

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I thought racing oils are only good for a few hundred miles and not recommended for street use...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard that before. This is simply a very high grade oil with excellent wear characteristics. There's a lot of resources out there about Motul. You don't have to take my word for it. ;)

Cade

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
This is a competition oil... it's heavier because you will be running at prolonged hard use. The Lotus manual specifies heavier oil for track use.

Cade
Where? What manual? What section/page?

I thought racing oils are only good for a few hundred miles and not recommended for street use...
Local Motul distributor claimed 300V had detergents and was fine for street use - based on a conversation I had with him on phone.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I've never heard that before. This is simply a very high grade oil with excellent wear characteristics. There's a lot of resources out there about Motul. You don't have to take my word for it. ;)

Cade

"Red Line has a complete line of race oils strictly for
use in racing applications. They differ from the
Motor Oils in that they contain no detergents and
consequently have a slightly better ability to reduce
friction, but they are not suitable for long-term
street use which sees some low-temperature
operation. Red Line Motor Oils still provide lower
friction than other commercial lubricants"

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/motoroils.pdf

I know this is from Red Line, but i'm sure this applies to other "Race Only" motor oils... Just make sure what you have is suitable for street use.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I know this is from Red Line, but i'm sure this applies to other "Race Only" motor oils... Just make sure what you have is suitable for street use.
Yeah, but like you say, different manufacturer, different strokes.

It's not in the Owner's Manual. It only recommends the 'Severe Service' intervals for track use, not a different oil.
All I could find as well. That said, there is a 300V 5w40.
;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I've gotta go grab my manual now... :confused: I could have sworn it recommended a heavier weight for track use. Anyways... It's what I've been running, and I've been quite happy with it. We use it in our Exige and it was in the Spyder as well.

We can get other formulations. If we get enough interest in a different weight, I'll carry it in stock.

Cade

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is this something you wouldn't want to use for standard street use due to lack of deposit-preventing additives?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oil selection

With twin front mounted oil coolers and only 190 Hp to generate heat I don't think the oil reaches the temperature extremes that some turbo cars experience. Could be wrong. Who has logged oil temps on the track?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i've reached 110-115 max Celcius on my turbo'd car on the track.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me clarify... We only stock a little over a case of this stuff at a time. This is really focused on the track guys/cup car/211 crowd. I've used it everyday in my car for about 6000 miles now, and have been very happy with it.

I don't expect to be selling this to many people.

Cade

·
Registered
337 Posts
The heavier oil recommendation isn't in the Lotus Manual, however it is in a Lotus Service Bulletin (attached) and recommending:

"if a car is to be driven on track at maximum effort, or in conditions or a manner likely to result in very high oil temperatures being achieved, the engine oil should be changed for Castrol Formula RS 10W/60"

Seems the closest oil (may or may not be identical or may be a later formulation) to Castrol Formula RS 10W60 is the Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W60 carried by BMW dealers and also available online e.g. at Turner Motorsport

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
FYI, from a Lotus document (I don't remember where it comes from, but it has recommendations for several current/recent models of Lotus):

For the Elise 111R/Exige ‘Mk.2’/USA Elise:
These models have been tested in all climatic conditions likely to be encountered with Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W/40 oil which offers advantages in ease of cranking, smooth cold running and fuel economy at low temperatures, in combination with good wear protection at elevated temperatures and at high engine speeds. However, if a car is to be driven on track at maximum effort, or in conditions or a manner likely to result in very high oil temperatures being achieved, the engine oil should be changed for Castrol Formula RS 10W/60

Note that this is recommended for "on track at maximum effort" - that would indicate racing, not necessarily just track days.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The heavier oil recommendation isn't in the Lotus Manual, however it is in a Lotus Service Bulletin (attached) and recommending:
Thanks for posting the doc!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts