The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone want to either go mountain biking or snow boarding on New Year's Eve during the day? Say around noon so that we can get a long rest (well maybe earlier since I would have to wait 6 hours to ride).

Let me know who wants to go. For mountain biking I'm thinking about just a ride at Whiting Ranch, or El Moro, maybe Alicia Woods.

Snowboarding? I'm open for any of the local mountains. I can't get my season pass to Mtn high for another week or two (It's FREE and you can't beat FREE!)

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris,

I'd be down for some biking. I haven't mountain biked in over 2 years. Ever since I got my road bike, I've neglected my MTB and my downhill skills have gone, well, downhill.

Who else is up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think I can make it on the 31st. There is also a Holiday Ride on the morning of the first from the Kettle restaurant in Manhattan Beach that goes to the top of Mandeville Canyon, starts at 8:00 a.m. if anyone is game.

I ski, but have never done snowboarding, but am interested. Maybe a little later in the season we could do a local day.

Cary

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah a local ski/snowboard day would be good.

I would love to go for the road ride, but I'm not in good enough shape to hang with a bunch of roadies while on my 27 pound mountain bike (let alone my 45 pound gut).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm up for a MTB ride on the 31st. If it's a quicky at Whiting, maybe we can get my wife out on her X-mas gift too (shhh.. it's a secret).

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would love to go, but the Bastard Work Man is making me come in for the whole day!!!!!!!

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay then do you guys want to head over to Whiting Ranch and then for the weary they can take the fast and easy (but fun) way out) and whoever is remaining can head over to the logue (pronounced Lue-ge I'm sure it's spelled wrong) for another, 5 mile ride and a quick 2 mile downhill (if it's that long).

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking 10 or 11? Whiting Ranch is in orange county, around Mission Viejo.

You get off the 5 freeway at Bake, and go left towards the mountains. You'll want to go 7-10 miles (I think) until you run into a major street called Portola. You'll want to turn left on Portola, and you should see shopping centers on both the left and right sides of the road. Pull into the parking lot on the right and you should see a bike shop on the right hand side of the complex, about the 4th to last shop from the right. That area is probably the best place to park. If we actually park in front of the entrance to the park we have to pay for parking. Go ahead and park closer to the street (portola).

When I get back to Cal (I'm in Texas right now) I'll lookup the name of the bike shop, and post a link for mapquest to the area. If yo guys have any problems you can call me at (949) 861-0388

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's free and easier to park at the Outback Steakhouse across the street (left side of Portola) from the trail.

Map

In the map, where the green jetties out towards the red star is where the trail starts.

BTW, If you use yahoo/mapquest's driving directions it'll almost always tell you to take toll roads. Take Chris' directions above instead.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sweet! I'm actually buying an entry-level mountain bike tomorrow! I'd love go along. Lemme make sure I have no reason to go into the office that day (although I really haven't come in all this week!).

Kimberly

·
Registered
26 Posts
i finally bought my mountain bike...a Trek 820. i've never done this before; and to make matters worse, i haven't worked out in a long while (i am outta shape). just wondering, how easy is the trail?

Kimberly

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, Whiting's not really for total beginners...it starts out gently enough. Before long you get to a rocky/sandy section, a lot of people have trouble there. It's not bad but it looks intimidating. Then a nice ride through a foresty area which winds up at a clearing. Next is "dread hill". Yes, you go all the way up it, 850 feet. I've never been able to do it but I bet Jayson can. Feel free to get off and walk...

After you get to the top of the hill, there are a number of ways down. The easiest is a little steep, but it's basically straight and not too dangerous. The other is a lot more fun but it can be a little scary for a lot of people.

My suggestion for a total newbie would be to go to Aliso Canyon and ride up the main trail and back. It's about 2 or 3 miles of pretty trails, not too much climbing or bad terrain. A lot more fun and not very intimidating. Whiting's a good next step after that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm so excited
And I just can't hide it

I'm about to lose my mind
And I think I like it....

I can't wait to do this ride......

I have everything in a duffle bag ready to go. Are we meeting at Outback or at the bike shop that morning?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Okay, lets go in the middle and say 10:30am.

Lets meet at the outback, there's much more parking. We can ride by the bike shop to see if anyone's there (I didn't think the shop was still there).

Kimberly. This is a fine ride for beginners. You can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. Like Larry said, don't be afraid to hop off and walk. Choosing the main road, nothing is too rough for anyone.

Again like Larry said, the begining is a little rough, and there's no way around that one, but most of it is ridable for a newbie. Then up Mustard Hill, which starts out fine, but gets steeper and steeper and steeper until the top. Larry, I used to make this with no problem, but I don't know about these days.

From here we can go our seperate ways and difficulty levels.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The main hill it's really that difficult from that mtn biking standpoint. It's mostly difficult from an endurance standpoint. There isn't anything technical about the climb, but it will wear you down. Hopefully I can finish it without stopping, but we'll see. My endurance is shot.

There are a couple of side routes we could take up the hill that are more difficult for anyone that is willing ;) At one time I used to be able to climb Rocket without stopping (at Aliso Woods).

So 10:30 sounds good to me. That'll give me time to work on my bike a bit, and to put my bike rack back on my car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, work calls after all, so I don't have to worry about catching my breath in just the first 500 yards of riding. Have a great time and a great New Year's Eve! I hope this is something you guys start up on a semi-regular basis--I'd love to join y'all in a future ride!!!

Kimberly

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay on the time....

A friend of mine said he can get there between 11:30 and 12. I'm also worried about the condition of my bike so I might need a good bit of time to work on it (assuming I wake up at 8 I should be okay though).

I told him that I'd meet him at the trail head for the second lap, but if it's not a problem I wouldn't mind moving the time back a bit. If it is, that's cool. I can just meet up with him after our first loop.

So who is going so far?

Jayson
Joe
Larry??
anyone else? or do you guys know anyone else that wants to go?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts