The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a test formed to see which track-strong cars could perform as well in the real world on mountain roads. The road used was California's Glendora Mountain Road.

The results are very surprising indeed. It is a good read.

2009 Nissan GT-R vs. the World 2008 Ultimate Performance Car Test

Can't help but think the Elise SC would have benefited greatly from the A048s instead of AD07s. That's the type of stuff you need to win these magazine tests.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
im not sure the results are so shocking to those of us who have also driven other sportscars.
sorry, im not so "shocked" by the results, but im sure there will be many here who are...:)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure the results are so shocking to those of us who have also driven other sportscars.
sorry, im not so "shocked" by the results, but im sure there will be many here who are...:)

I wasn't shocked about the Elise. I was surprised that the STI came in dead last and the Evo came in 3rd.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
In front of us there are 22 miles and 402 turns of the best driving road in the world, Southern California's Glendora Mountain Road. We've covered this ground thousands of times, but today it's different. Today there are two California Highway Patrol cruisers stationed at either end of this twisting strip of sun-drenched blacktop. It is our personal playground for the afternoon.

Take that "Tail of the Dragon". This road is on my way to work and sometimes I take it if I have time. For those 22 miles there is one intersection, no houses, no stop signs, no nothing, except amazing scenery, for a three mile stretch you are driving right along the crest of the mountain 4,000 ft up. During the week I rarely see another vehicle. Several of us are heading up there this week. I will plan a ride up there. If any of you in S. CA have not done this you are missing out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The new GT-R is a monster.

I think it is a good test and falls in line with what I expected. I always found other cars I owned easier to drive at the limit as they were more forgiving, not even ones as fast as the ones in this article.

The Elise has shown my flaws as a driver and I have had to work harder to become better. I have found it incredibly involving and it feels pretty good to get it right.

When I change into another car I think it now shows. Even pedestrian ones.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I take these comparos with a grain of salt- You really gotta be familiar with our (low horsepower) cars to get the absolute most out of them- I think more so than the cars with gobs of power-

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Take that tail of dragon? Pretty funny. Hear so much about that road in other forums too. One day i'll make it out to the east coast to see how they roll!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I really dont understand why they took the elise to make this test instead of the Exige S 240 to match better with the GTR, the R8 and the 911 ???? WTF ???

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really dont understand why they took the elise to make this test instead of the Exige S 240 to match better with the GTR, the R8 and the 911 ???? WTF ???

That's what I thought, but maybe Lotus wouldn't give them an Exige S 240. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I realize Lotus is going to pump up the data, but this article is stating a 0-60 speed, that's exactly the same as Lotus quotes on the Elise w/o SC. 4.9 0-60

Here arethe figures on the SC Elise

Lotus claims the Elise SC will accelerate to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and then reach 100 mph in 10.7 seconds on the way to a top speed of 150 mph.

So their model did 103 in 13.3. Something is very wrong here. I wonder if they didn't have an SC model. One Half a second is a "huge" difference 0-60.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I realize Lotus is going to pump up the data, but this article is stating a 0-60 speed, that's exactly the same as Lotus quotes on the Elise w/o SC. 4.9 0-60

Here arethe figures on the SC Elise

Lotus claims the Elise SC will accelerate to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and then reach 100 mph in 10.7 seconds on the way to a top speed of 150 mph.

So their model did 103 in 13.3. Something is very wrong here. I wonder if they didn't have an SC model. One Half a second is a "huge" difference 0-60.
I agree that something seems wrong here. I remember alot of magazines got 0-60 times between 4.4 to 4.9 seconds for 2005 N/A Elises. I guess the extra 20 HP doesn't make much difference or the conditions were bad:shrug:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In front of us there are 22 miles and 402 turns of the best driving road in the world, Southern California's Glendora Mountain Road. We've covered this ground thousands of times, but today it's different. Today there are two California Highway Patrol cruisers stationed at either end of this twisting strip of sun-drenched blacktop. It is our personal playground for the afternoon.

Take that "Tail of the Dragon". This road is on my way to work and sometimes I take it if I have time. For those 22 miles there is one intersection, no houses, no stop signs, no nothing, except amazing scenery, for a three mile stretch you are driving right along the crest of the mountain 4,000 ft up. During the week I rarely see another vehicle. Several of us are heading up there this week. I will plan a ride up there. If any of you in S. CA have not done this you are missing out.
I live in LA (san Fernando Valley). Where is this fabled road exactly?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Edmunds did that 0-60 and 1/4 mile test in an independent test of the Elise SC, seen here. It appears to be the same Elise used in this test as well.

I thought the numbers were way too high. Car and Driver got a 4.4 second 0-60 in an NA Elise and 13.2 in the 1/4 mile. Granted C&D's driving tactics may be different, but how different could they be?

With a good launch, the Elise SC should be in the high 12s and trapping 105 at least.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It may be that these track tests and acceleration tests were done at different times and they are re-using the same statistics. It doesn't seem feasible to do ALL that in one day with six different cars.

Because the 911's acceleration times are spot on and so is the GTR's and R8's.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I agree that something seems wrong here. I remember alot of magazines got 0-60 times between 4.4 to 4.9 seconds for 2005 N/A Elises. I guess the extra 20 HP doesn't make much difference or the conditions were bad:shrug:
Ive done a few searches for this type of info on our cars.

0-60
1/4 mile type stuff.

I have found numbers to be ALL over the place.

I personally have taken my 07 Exige down the track one time. Bogged it down on the launch, and i ran a [email protected]

Ive dragged raced a couple elises and NA exige on the street. And leave them in the dust pretty good.

Ive seen some people claim elise to run as loq as 11 second 1/4 mile. And then as high as 14 sec. 1/4 miles.

I can only guess the 0-60 info be the same.

Ive never seen a car that nobody really knows how fast they are and the rumor mill has just gone crazy with it.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts