The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say I did search and did not find anything very specific about how peoples amps are mounted. The search is very picky though, so perhaps I am not using the right keywords. I am going to mount an Alpine PDX-5 in the boot of my Elise. My question is specifically how has everyone else done that? This car doesn't afford the normal options since it is all fiberglass, so I am not sure the best way to approach it. If anyone has details on how/where they mounted it I would appreciate it. I have heard some people used velcro. Does that actually work? I wouldn't want to risk that it would come loose and destroy the amp and my clam in one shot. Pictures, of course, are always appreciated as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...some people have fashioned mounting brackets which brace across the taillight bolts and seem to be very solid - do a bit more searching around for 'amp' and 'trunk' or 'boot'...do not use velcro back in the boot; if your amp comes loose during a high-G maneuver it can punch through your clam from the inside...

...i recommend putting the amp behind the seats if it's small enough to fit - that would not only help reduce the amount of weight you're adding over the rear wheels, it'd also help minimise the additional rotational intertia...the modest weight of an amplifier can torque quite a bit stronger as far out from the center of gravity as the boot...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
...some people have fashioned mounting brackets which brace across the taillight bolts and seem to be very solid - do a bit more searching around for 'amp' and 'trunk' or 'boot'...do not use velcro back in the boot; if your amp comes loose during a high-G maneuver it can punch through your clam from the inside...

Very good point! Im going to delete my post so noone does that.

Didnt think about it enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't think the velcro idea was a sound one (no pun intended), but I thought I would ask. Sometimes I am amazed what people on this board are able to come up with. I was planning on putting the amp in the boot because I have a sub enclosure that is going behind the seats. There will not be any room back there for the amp I don't think, but I will check the fit and see. It would make better sense there, but I am guessing that it is not going to fit.

The brace between tail lights seems to be the best idea so far if it will not fit behind the seats unless anyone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here's a different idea. What about in front of the passenger footrest. That will keep the weight lower and between the wheels.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Yep, I put some aluminum angle "iron" between the top bolts and then 1 between the bottom bolts on the rear taillights. I mounted the board and amp BEHIND this so as to take minimum trunk space. It works great!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not infront of a computer but do a search on "Huh... Huh..."
I did the bracket attached to tail lights and it works great. If you send a pm I can send you all the plans.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I mounted mine behind the driver seat. Mounted directly to the sheet metal with self tapping screws. 1/2" screws. 10" stealth box in the passenger footwell and modified the aluminum foot rest so people don't dent the grill. passengers lost 3" of leg room. But i hang out with hobbits anyway. THe amp could get wet in the boot.. my2cents.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
... I am going to mount an Alpine PDX-5 in the boot of my Elise. ...
Have you already bought the amp? I used an amp that was thin enough to mount behind the passenger seat. It has worked out very well. It powers all my speakers, including a JL Audio Stealth Box subwoofer.

·
Registered
907 Posts
here is mine mounted behind the seats. Got to take the seats out, but very clean install and out of the way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I put 3 Xtant 100W Class D Amps in the boot next to the battery. Each amp is about the size of a 3-4 CD cases so they fit great. I choose them for their size and the fact they don't get too hot, but they are pricey ($500 each). The shop built a custom enclosure for them and they fit nicely stacked on top of each other. They mounted crossovers next to them as well and made a divider/cover with matching carpet so you can't see the battery or the amps and crossover.
I will post pics when I get back home in a couple of days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts