The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got a speeding ticket (don't speed on Olympic near Century City 'cause they're hiding all over there). The cop also got me for not having plates on. I guess I have to mount at least the back plate now! :) Anyway, if I strap on the plate with zipties, will they accept that? I'm in Los Angeles, btw... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ziptie mine and went for inspection when I got my car and they gave me a inspection sticker. I am in Jersey.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
From what i heard, the plate has to be "mounted" or the cops won't sign off on it. Try using some double sided tape.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd try the zip ties. It is unlikely that a cop would pay that close attention, anyway.

·
Banned
874 Posts
prob the easiest and fastest way to put it up there. i live in VA it prob wouldn't b acceptable here since they r soo strict especailly in the Northern part (where I live)

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is my plan if I ever get *caught*. I'd say give it a try. Just be sure to do it early so you have time to work out another solution if they don't accept it! Let us know if it works..

By the way, if it doesn't work and you want to temporarily install using the blackwatch mounting bracket, I have one in my garage you can borrow. Haven't taken the time to see how invasive they are though.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Zip ties work in VA even when used to put the plate on in front of the cop. AND they are easily cut off upon arrival at your destination.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Zip ties work in VA even when used to put the plate on in front of the cop. AND they are easily cut off upon arrival at your destination.
Good point

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is my plan if I ever get *caught*. I'd say give it a try. Just be sure to do it early so you have time to work out another solution if they don't accept it! Let us know if it works..

By the way, if it doesn't work and you want to temporarily install using the blackwatch mounting bracket, I have one in my garage you can borrow. Haven't taken the time to see how invasive they are though.
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you guys know how it goes. BTW, do you scrape the plate on driveways when using the Blackwatch mount?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Front plate and water/oil temp.

The Lotus is obviously not designed for a "US" style front plate. My concern is the effects of mounting the front plate on heat transfer (oil coolers/radiator) due to interference with the designed air flow path. Anyone have data before and after mounting front plate?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I searched the other threads, I saw somewhere that there was no effect.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You got busted for no plates at all right? I know someone who gets his plates in the mail and never gets around to mounting them also...he ran with paper plates for almost a year before he finally put on his metal ones...LOL.

I don't think there is specifically any law which states HOW to mount them, only WHERE. I'd research the CVC before I went to get signed off on them, however.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I figured if I didn't have a back plate, they at least wouldn't pull me over for not having a front plate! :)

I didn't figure that I might get pulled over for something else! LOL

I guess I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
When they had front plates here, I solved the aero issue by ramming the bumper into an embankment and folding it under.
Cops looked at it funny, but no ticket.
Lotus bumper may not work for that.

I like to keep the plates under the front seat.

I can't see an issue with zipties.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ive heard that you can get away with zipties never had to deal with no front plates.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you guys know how it goes. BTW, do you scrape the plate on driveways when using the Blackwatch mount?

You will have to ask someone else. Mine is in the Garage as an emergency backup never installed (I have fears of Blackwatch being out of stock when I really need it)

·
Registered
804 Posts
At auto parts stores, you can usually buy blank plates in US plate sizes. Bend it using a bench vice, attach it with velcro mounted on the underside of the clam, and voila, you have a removable front plate bracket. It does a good job of moving cones too.:)

A lot of people here don't understand that some states/jurisdictions are very strict about front plate enforcement, and it is a necessary evil for some of us.

·
Registered
992 Posts
"free" state aint so free

A lot of people here don't understand that some states/jurisdictions are very strict about front plate enforcement, and it is a necessary evil for some of us. >> man is that true. just came back from Fla. where i dont even think they have drivers license regulations... MD is at the other end of the spectrum. And now that theyre all hooked on speed cameras, it's like crack for the city council.

I was surprised to read here that VA. has a front plate requirement; I know a lot of VA driver that dont adhere to that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In Los Angeles you usually get a front plate ticket by a parking cop, not a traffic cop.

Which is why I never park on the street :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts