The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried mounting the gps antenna on my dash and the signal is too weak to get a lock on position. (i.e. it sits in the "acquiring gps signal" mode for 20+ minutes) When it does get a signal, it drops it almost immediately when I start moving.

I have found that putting the antenna on the outside of the car (i.e. stuck to the window) eliminates this problem.

(Could it be that the gps antenna for my radio / sat. nav. system is interfering? That one worked flawlessly.)

Q) Where have you mounted your gps antenna on your Elise / Exige?

I was thinking about using double sided tape and mounting on the top center of the front windshield and then tucking the wire under the roof and then down the a-pillar (p-side).

Thoughts?

Comments?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mounted the antenna for my DL-1 data acq unit in various places - they all work to varying degrees, but found the best place was in the middle of the passenger side speaker grille on the dash - verified by checking the GPS Positional Accuracy from the data. My theory is that the grille is just large enough to give some ground plane effect for the antenna. If your antenna doesn't work in that spot I suspect something is causing a problem.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Carter,

I have mine mounted in the dash and it works fine. If you were playing around and it was extremely cloudy that may have contributed to the problem.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just talked to Traqmate and they do recommend the top of the car to avoid drop outs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

I guess I'll just have to sort it out this comming weekend at MSR Cresson. Video alone is nice but it's hard to really know what's going on without more. I'm hopeful that having the extra information will help me focus on one or two segments as opposed to the "butt-in-da-seat" meter which has limited memory. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I tested numerous locations. As Randy said for the absolute best signal you can't beat outside the car on the roof. But since I didn't want wires running outside the car and wanted a more or less permanent location I have the antenna mounted on the little shelf above the interior light. I have never had a signal problem or dropout with it mounted there. But my car is an Elise and that location in an Exige might differ.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I guess I'll just have to sort it out this comming weekend at MSR Cresson. Video alone is nice but it's hard to really know what's going on without more. I'm hopeful that having the extra information will help me focus on one or two segments as opposed to the "butt-in-da-seat" meter which has limited memory. :rolleyes:
The cool thing is we will be able to compare data since we both have the same setup.. :) Ill actually get to see how much faster I am.. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
stealth

Mounted mine top of wind screen, inside the screwed in head liner. Need to Dremel it a bit, but is completely concealed and is very accurate. Bit of work though!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cool thing is we will be able to compare data since we both have the same setup.. :) Ill actually get to see how much faster I am.. :D
:shrug:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mounted mine top of wind screen, inside the screwed in head liner. Need to Dremel it a bit, but is completely concealed and is very accurate. Bit of work though!
So the gps signal has no problem reaching through the fiberglass / composite in the roof? I might have to explore this a bit more.

Got any pictures / suggestions as to what needs to be done to install? Is it simply a matter of making a space in the resin / foam for the antenna to fit?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replace the Antenna!

For anyone who may be looking at this post and wondering how to fix this problem, here's the deal.

I corresponded with Traqmate support and they indicated they had a bad batch of gps antennas. They promptly replaced the antenna and all is working fine.

So if you are having problems with gaining a gps lock or the data is all crazy, replace the antenna.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts