The Lotus Cars Community banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
scottyb said:
Just heat up the Lexan with a Bunsen burner and then place bends. You could probably do the same with MDF.
In a roundabout sort of way, perhaps. I recommend people NOT try heating MDF with a bunsen burner... rotfl

·
Registered
110 Posts
Randy Chase said:
It is in production right now. It can be used for most any electronics.

It uses a standard camera tripod mount, so it can fit directly to the mount on the BWR harness bar, or to a separate bar mount, such as the EZ-Mount we sell on ChaseCam.

I have another version that is development (secure and hidden), but I have been using this simple one for a week and might prefer it.
Randy-

How is production coming along for your V1 mount? Any estimated time of arrival?

-Judson

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Right now I have my radar detector mounted against the rear window, right above the interior light.

It's facing 'forward', which makes it backwards from the usual windshield mount.

Any idea of what I might be giving up in performance this way? I assume it's not optimal, but boy was wiring easy. :)

It's nicely out of the way of view too, and I can see the display nicely in the Truck-Sized rearview mirror. :)
I asked Valentine about this and they said the sensitivity would not be affected at all.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm doing this right now and don't like it. I bought a universal mount from best buy, drilled two holes into it and the sun visor mount (after removing the clip part) and used a nut and bolt to hold em together. Doesn't rattle and shake as much as the velcor but the mount takes up the whole back window height wise.

The detection isn't as good as when it was in my accord. Might just be cause the elise is lower, but I don't like the amount of space its taking up.

I've already ordered a micromirror and am going that route.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is how I do it in all my vehicles.

Suction cup mount, hard wire/hide the cord as much as possible.

This allows the V1 to be mounted as high as possible (early warning) and stil be moved from vehicle to vehicle. (after it saved my @$$ the first time it was love forever!)

I also use the remote display . . .why? Other drivers WILL tailgate and follow if they can see the blinking lights. All they know is you have warning and they want to leach. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Randy Chase said:
Hey. I need some thoughts here.

I might have some longer term solutions, but I am wondering about short term.

Can you suction cup the V1 to the windshield and run the electrical cord to the outlet? Does it get in the way?

Any way to use the V1 remote on this car without any fabrication?

·
Registered
123 Posts
another mounting bracket

Wanted to put my V1 in the car ... messed around and then came and read the thread ... should have done that first!!

For a start I am going to use a suction cup mounting bracket but I hate (!) Radio Shack. I went to the store and a rather rude person told me that they don't carry it. I told her that I had seen it in the "catalog" meaning the online store and she told me that they don't have a catalog. Well that was enuff for me ... esp as anything I have bought from them has been junk.

Here is what I am going to try instead ... Found it on Froggle along with a couple of alternatives http://www.autobarn.net/raddetwinmou1.html

I am going to use this ...

Let you guys know how it goes ...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yeah, when I bought mine from Radio Shack a few weeks ago, it was the last one...seems that they have a new, improved one for sale now.

Anyway, I ended up taking off the suction cups and just cramming in the plate tightly in the area between the plastic and the rear windshield, right next to the interior light, where it stays surprisingly well. Not sure if I'm screwing up anything by doing that, but things seem to be staying in place and in one piece. The best part about this setup is that it keeps the detector low enough that it doesn't interfere at all with your rear line of sight, since (at least to me) it overlaps with the rear lip/spoiler visibility. While this low of a mount probably decreases the V1's effectiveness, things seem to be okay...it's picked up 2 laser-using cops since being installed.

I used Blondie's guide to installing it, it was absolutley terrific. The only things I'd add are 1. She doesn't stress nearly enough how Effing Hard it is to get the mirror on/off the windshield, and 2. (for me, anyway) I hardwired the unit into the stereo wiring, and I haven't experimented to a huge extent, but it seems that when I leave the remote audio adapter on when the car is off/locked, it sets off the alarm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love the stealth look of your install, but I have some follow up questions

So Scottyb, so are you saying that you didn't use the V1 mounting bracket from Dali Racing for the NSX and somehow mount it on the Elise? I'm going to get the box that hides the detector (like you have)
from these guys: http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html but they say you then need a mounting bracket to hold the box and detector in place. Rather than try to make one myself, I saw that Dali sells a bracket that fits with the box and a V1 which looks VERY clean, but I'm not sure how it could mount to our cars. http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/gotta_have/more_valentine1_ttop_installation.cfm
So again, is that the bracket you used or did you make your own bracket? If you made your own, what did you attach it too (or did you just wedge it between the interior trim and the back window? Here's how the Dali bracket attaches to some pre-existing holes in the NSX:

scottyb said:
You can easily create your own vertical V1 mount. I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of Lexan. I cut it down to size and placed some simple bends in it so it would match my fake break light. I then drilled to screw holes into the top of the black plastic rear trim above the light. I fastened the shelf with screws and then placed my fake break light box above it. I actually bought the box online. It was originally designed for an NSX. ....

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
coulthard fan said:
So Scottyb, so are you saying that you didn't use the V1 mounting bracket from Dali Racing for the NSX and somehow mount it on the Elise? I'm going to get the box that hides the detector (like you have)
from these guys: http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html but they say you then need a mounting bracket to hold the box and detector in place. Rather than try to make one myself, I saw that Dali sells a bracket that fits with the box and a V1 which looks VERY clean, but I'm not sure how it could mount to our cars. http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/gotta_have/more_valentine1_ttop_installation.cfm
So again, is that the bracket you used or did you make your own bracket? If you made your own, what did you attach it too (or did you just wedge it between the interior trim and the back window? Here's how the Dali bracket attaches to some pre-existing holes in the NSX:
I actually made my own mounting bracket out of Lucite. I figured out the size and shape I wanted and made a template out of cardboard. I then cut the Lucite and placed bends in it by heating it up with a Bunsen burner. My bracket is not only wedged between the back panel and the rear screen, but it is also bolted down into the black back panel. I did this by drilling 2 holes on top behind the interior light and then passed a screw and tightened the bolts while the light was removed. The box is attached to the frame with a bend that fits inside the box and by Velcro. I haven't had an issue with the mounting yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks Scottyb...

... for the mounting tips. I think I'm going to try almost the same approach you used. (stealth box + custom mount + remote) The guy at Dali racing told me last week that since the NSX mount was made for an older "stealth" box, I'd have to have to mod the top part of their mount to fit the new box. Since I'd have to mod it yet again on the lower half to attach to an Elise, I may as well just make a mount from scratch!

With regard to the mounting of the remote display, instead of using the slick mirror mount, I'm considering making my own bracket which: would position the display on the floor, between the driver's legs, facing up; and would be somehow able to slide underneath the driver's seat when not in use (or when pulled over).

I have no clue how I'm going to do this other than making a trip to ACE Hardware and looking around, but the advantages I see are:
1) probably will cost under $5 (plus 40 for the remote);
2) will be hidden from other drivers/cops when in use;
3) will be out of the view of cops or thieves when not in use (like the mirror mount, but unlike other mounting options);
4) should be incredibly simple to run the wires for it because they just go under the seat;
5) no risk of cracking my windshield while switching mirrors; and
6) can be easily removed/reinstalled for use in another car.

Some disadvantages:
1) will have to look away from the road to see it; and
2) wife may become concerned at increased frequency of looking at my crotch.

Advantage #3, and the use of the stealth box in the first place, is probably more of a concern to me than others because I understand that the law in our nation's capitol prohibits possession - not to mention use (as in Virginia) - of a radar detector.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I recommend mounting the remote as near to your normal line of sight as possible. You want to be able to see it quickly and you don't want to take your eyes off the road for very long.

My current (temporary?) mounting is on the face of the dash all the way to the LHS, where the door hides it from view of someone standing next the the car on the driver's side.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
coulthard fan said:
would be somehow able to slide underneath the driver's seat when not in use (or when pulled over).
One major concern for this is that the police tend to get a bit nervous if you start reaching under your seat when you get pulled over. At best, they may think you are hiding your stash. At worst, they many think you are going for your gun...-eek-

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Since I'm awaiting the arrival of my V1 and am really looking into the Ragnorak mirror, and since I just read through all 11 pages of posts, I'm going to give the thread a bump and see if anyone has any good updates for us. So far I'm really leaning towards rear window mount towards top of rollbar, close to driver seat. I really like the look of concealing it in a box. Does anyone have a top rollbar mount for sale yet? Or do I still have to tackle a construction project?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I made my ouw rollbar mount out of some sheet aluminum and a sheet metal brake I got from harbor freight. Came out OK, but I'm going w/ the Sector111 harness bar mount now. I ran all the wires to the cubby hole up by the headlights, and put a remote display and audio control in there. You want the audio control since if the V1 is in a box, you won't be able to adjust the volume at all. I'll post some pics soon. (or soonish...)

·
Registered
449 Posts
My update

SweetDaddyD said:
... I'm going to give the thread a bump and see if anyone has any good updates for us. So far I'm really leaning towards rear window mount towards top of rollbar, close to driver seat. I really like the look of concealing it in a box. Does anyone have a top rollbar mount for sale yet? Or do I still have to tackle a construction project?
So far, I have purchased the stealth box referred to above, got some sheet aluminum and hardware to make a mount for the V1 and the remote, and I will pick up a used V1 tonight from a friend. The stealth box is going to be a chore to work in the Elise since it has one flat end and one angled end. I plan to dremel off the angled end and make it flat by reattaching/gluing the reddish tinted translucent plastic after I cut it to fit. But I've been waiting to get the V1 to make sure I don't cut the box too small. My plan is to do this whole project for less than $300 all in.

Ps: EVL - I just bought a place a few blocks from you @ Harbor Court. Don't move up there until June though.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
TimMullen said:
One major concern for this is that the police tend to get a bit nervous if you start reaching under your seat when you get pulled over. At best, they may think you are hiding your stash. At worst, they many think you are going for your gun...-eek-
Tim, that's a very good point and is a mistake I once made years ago. I hadn't expected the officer to approach my car so quickly; when he had made it to the side of my car my hands were still under the seat and was probably the main reason why he asked me to step out of the car and walk to the back of the vehicle to talk!

·
Registered
653 Posts
SweetDaddyD said:
Since I'm awaiting the arrival of my V1 and am really looking into the Ragnorak mirror, and since I just read through all 11 pages of posts, I'm going to give the thread a bump and see if anyone has any good updates for us. So far I'm really leaning towards rear window mount towards top of rollbar, close to driver seat. I really like the look of concealing it in a box. Does anyone have a top rollbar mount for sale yet? Or do I still have to tackle a construction project?

The mount is pretty simple to make. I used the same box that the others have used and used a thin aluminum sheet to mount to the existing mount points. The flash from the camera makes the aluminum (which is crinkle coated flat black) seem more visible than it actually is. Mine is mounted closer to the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
reganfin said:
Mine is mounted closer to the passenger seat.
Does the mirror block the forward view when mounted there? I'd be a bit concerned about that...

201 - 220 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.