The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject: MOUSE BALLS

I don't know how they wrote this with a straight face. This was a real memo sent out by a computer company (IBM) to its employees in all seriousness. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite genuine. The engineers rolled on the floor! Especially note the last couple of sentences.

Re: Replacement of Mouse Balls.

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units).

Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel. Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.

Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately. It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.

Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items. Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zOOmz said:
By the way, my mouse has no balls to begin with. :)
Why? Do you have a wimpy mouse? Tell it to stand up for its self! Is it a mouse or a man?

;)

By the way, I have a catalog of handy computer parts at home, and it actually includes replacement mouse balls...:eek:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The Mouse Balls joke predates the web itself by many years.

When I first saw it, I was using a Logitech 3-Button Serial mouse, shaped like a piece of cheese:

For Windows 3.1, of course.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Nice! You like it? Use it for everything, or just freehand/drawing stuff?

I wanted to get one, but once you get up to a useable size, them's not cheap...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Nice! You like it? Use it for everything, or just freehand/drawing stuff?

I wanted to get one, but once you get up to a useable size, them's not cheap...
I use mine for absolutely everything. I hate using a mouse these days. 6x8 is plenty big and can be found in the $300 range these days if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ground Loop said:
The Mouse Balls joke predates the web itself by many years.

When I first saw it, I was using a Logitech 3-Button Serial mouse, shaped like a piece of cheese:

For Windows 3.1, of course.
Yeah, I had one of those. I was stylin' with the clear version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts