The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been given the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream, to live in Europe, of mine through work and will be going for a year. I'm at odds though on what to do with my Exige. I can only have one car shipped and if we do send one it will be my wife's car since the entire family can actually fit in it let alone being able to transport guests/visitors.

What would you do? I can either prep it and put it in storage for year, leave it with my dad and ask him to care for it (including driving it every now and then) in which case I have to continue paying insurance and such on it, or I can sell it and use this as the opportunity to start saving for the next toy, which I would be in a year or two after I get back.

I get attached to vehicles and buying Bridget (my Exige) was a huge moment in my life as it was already so much more than I'd ever thought I'd be able to get at my age. It was the culmination of lots of hard work and saving...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,603 Posts
Store it man... Even if it goes down in value over next year(s) it is a special vehicle that could be hard to replace in a couple years. I stored a vehicle for 2 years when I lived in Hong Kong. I drove it for 8 years after I came back.

It will be a sweet present to your future self when you return !

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Do you love your car, or do you love having an amazing toy? Toys can be replaced and upgraded, but once your car is gone, you (probably) won't ever see it again.

It all depends on whether you are sentimental or not, I guess.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Store it. There are insurance options exactly for this situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
First - congratulation! It is a wonderful oportunity :)

Second - store the Exige!

Third - where are you going in Europe and what is your wife's car you plan to take? There are lots of places you may end up where you won't want a daily use type car (London and Paris spring to mind)... but you may want to take something interesting and cheap in the US which is of value in Europe and sell it there rather than bringing it back at the end of your stay.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Rich.. Having been there at the moment you bought the Exige (the look on your face as you pulled it into your garage was priceless)...and cashing your check the next day...I say...sell...save...and upgrade when you get home!

The only thing better than getting a Lotus is getting the next one (Bridget was #7 of my 10).

Linda told me I should buy it back from you.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Todd

·
Registered
347 Posts
Leave it to me I'll take care of it till you get back.:p

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would leave it with your dad. I did almost this same thing with my cars when I lived in England for 6 months. You can put your insurance in 'storage mode'. On mine it could still be driven like 100 miles every 6 months or something like that.

I would not ship a vehicle unless you want to do as suggested and bring a corvette or something with you to sell (you can make a pretty good profit this way). There are interesting vehicle options in Europe that are not available here, might as well take the opportunity to try one out.

On a side note, I found that insurance in England was unbelievably expensive and that the rules are much different than here, for example you cannot cancel the policy early without paying a (large) fee. I would recommend doing some research and/or finding a US insurance company that will allow you to maintain coverage overseas (some will).

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Here in the NorthEast, we essentially store our cars 5-6 months EVERY year?
If it were me, the question wouldn't have crossed my mind. I would store mine, or have my father babysit it for the year. Who knows, maybe your father will get hooked and get one himself after a year with yours. ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Leave it with someone in Arizona, where corrosion and other factors (such as rarely gets down to freezing) are minimized. (wink wink).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Leave it with someone in Arizona, where corrosion and other factors (such as rarely gets down to freezing) are minimized. (wink wink).
That's a novel idea Adder! I have extra space in my garage and will make sure it is properly maintained here in AZ :) I'll even send you updates of your cars shenanigans.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
HeHe.... Addertooth is already in Arizona.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I talked it over with my wife last night and, well, in another week or two (want to get it cleaned up and a couple of more drives in) it will be getting listed for sale. So if you or anyone else you know is intereseted in a Graphite Grey '06 Exige, keep an eye out!

Linda told me I should buy it back from you.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Todd
Thanks, Todd. For what its worth, I think she's right! :D

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
leave it to me for a year..... i will take good care the exige
i live in key largo 5 minutes to miami speedway.... i promise it will never see a track

·
Registered
613 Posts
Even though I now have a Spec Racer Atom for the track and an Evora for the street, I still kick myself every day for selling my Exige. I needed the money at the time, now I don't and I'm full of regret every time I think about it...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Personally, I am not one to grow attached to my cars... as much as I absolutely lover them. I absolutely love my Exige, but if I were put in your shoes, I would definitely sell it. Although I guess since I have a lien on my car, I just wouldn't want to be paying the monthly payments (AND INTEREST!) while I was away... I'd rather save up the money and put it towards an upgrade when I get back.

Now if I owned it outright... maybe keeping it wouldn't be a bad idea. Storage insurance on my Exige over the winter was like $35/mo. Save up, and get a big ol' BOE SC kit when you get back :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts