The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! This is exciting. I'm born and raised in South Florida and am finally ready for a change. I just got offered a job in Huntington Beach Cali! I can't wait to bring my 2005 elise out there.

I know having to deal with emissions will be a back change between Florid and Cali. And the price of gas of course is much different. Are there other car-related costs I need to consider? I'm being told my car insurance should go down! since there is so much fraud and so many accidents here in Florida. Anything else to consider?!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to Southern California! You'll absolutely love it here. Higher taxes, higher gas prices, but this state does offer a lot in return. Great car culture and some of the most scenic drives. You'll be only 15-20 mins away from Cars and Coffee in Irvine, which is just about the most amazing weekly car get together I have seen anywhere.

Oh, and you won't need that hard/soft top as much here :). I bought my car last year and only had the hard top on for a day.

Expect to pay more for maintenance. Lotus shops charge anywhere from $100 to $120 an hour for labor.

Hope you are getting paid considerably more here to take care of all the added expenses.

When are you moving?

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
Higher income taxes, property taxes, gas prices due to higher gas taxes, sales taxes, etc. Everything is taxed to death here. As for registering your out of state car, it's not too bad since it's your own car and you are moving, but you have a limited amount of time to do it like within ten days of arriving in state or something like that.

www.dmv.ca.gov is your source for how to get your car sorted here.

Orange County is pretty cool for car events and you have a lot of Lotus owners who are very active around you so you can have them show you around. Wish L.A. Lotus owners were more active but that's the L.A. lifestyle, busy busy busy.

We don't have stand your ground, we don't have civilian CCW for the most part, we don't have a very pro-self defense culture here with our politicians who are too busy pandering to the downtrodden and blaming everyone else for the criminal's behavior. That is a huge difference from FL. Don't think about having a gun in the car because the cops here don't play around when it comes to finding guns in a car unless it is locked and unloaded in the trunk.

I'm actually thinking about moving to FL to get away from CA... but work ties me here for a while. So anyway, enjoy our dry weather, no storms, but we got earthquakes, and our roads are awesome to drive, but keep it cool because we also have a lot of cops who write tickets in them there hills.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'll be swapping places with you in a few months! But I've done the FL rodeo before.

The Lotus scene is probably strongest in this neck of the woods as far as members and support. It's a good time, and you will QUICKLY become jaded after spending some time at the events. Look forward to seeing you out here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I just put in my two weeks notice at work. Like JUST. So I'll be packing for the next 2 weeks and then heading out that way.

I'm thinking about getting a Uhaul + one of those flat bed style car trailers they have. Packing all my stuff in the uhaul, loading my car on the flatbed and then driving over. You guys have any better ideas?!

I would love to wrap my car in an OEM lotus car cover. Does anyone have one I can pay to have shipped here asap and then hand return when I get out there?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Higher income taxes, property taxes, gas prices due to higher gas taxes, sales taxes, etc. Everything is taxed to death here. As for registering your out of state car, it's not too bad since it's your own car and you are moving, but you have a limited amount of time to do it like within ten days of arriving in state or something like that.

www.dmv.ca.gov is your source for how to get your car sorted here.

Orange County is pretty cool for car events and you have a lot of Lotus owners who are very active around you so you can have them show you around. Wish L.A. Lotus owners were more active but that's the L.A. lifestyle, busy busy busy.

We don't have stand your ground, we don't have civilian CCW for the most part, we don't have a very pro-self defense culture here with our politicians who are too busy pandering to the downtrodden and blaming everyone else for the criminal's behavior. That is a huge difference from FL. Don't think about having a gun in the car because the cops here don't play around when it comes to finding guns in a car unless it is locked and unloaded in the trunk.

I'm actually thinking about moving to FL to get away from CA... but work ties me here for a while. So anyway, enjoy our dry weather, no storms, but we got earthquakes, and our roads are awesome to drive, but keep it cool because we also have a lot of cops who write tickets in them there hills.
I spent 4 months in S Cali, I will never go back of my own accord...

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
I mean to the caliber/quantity of cars
Very true. Pretty soon you will be saying... "What was that? Oh, just a Gallardo/430/R8."

You don't get excited about seeing supercars anymore because they are fairly common depending on the neighborhood. I lived in West L.A. and see nice cars all day long so I got jaded very fast. Now I dig on classic restored muscle cars.

I spent 4 months in S Cali, I will never go back of my own accord...
I don't blame ya. Hankerin' to get out of here soon enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts