The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents,

I'll be shipping my lotus to Oahu...unfortunately, when shipping by boat, I need 6 inches of clearance. It seems like a stock elise should be around 140mm which is about 5.5 inches. With my clam guard, I am at 4.25 inches in the front. What is the tallest wheel we can fit on our cars?

Also I'll have to remove the mud guards :(

How screwed am I and any ideas?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hello ladies and gents,

I'll be shipping my lotus to Oahu...unfortunately, when shipping by boat, I need 6 inches of clearance. It seems like a stock elise should be around 140mm which is about 5.5 inches. With my clam guard, I am at 4.25 inches in the front. What is the tallest wheel we can fit on our cars?

Sure about that? I was stationed at Hickam and helped others ship cars to/from there and didn't have those stipulations. Matson?

San

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to jack up your lotus. My mechanic told me we should try seeing how high Penskes will take the car.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Time to jack up your lotus. My mechanic told me we should try seeing how high Penskes will take the car.
I have the Penske DAs, and the Reverie front splitter, so I'll need all the clearance I can get, if I ship the Lotus. Might leave it here. @fzust Any input on this?

San

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unfortunately, I will need to drive it back from the port. That is an interesting idea though.
A jack and two 17mm wrenches are all you need to swap them out. You could also use a rollback. I also have no idea how much droop the suspension has. The stock coilovers I swapped out last weekend are 14.75 eye to eye. It dropped at least an inch when I removed them.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
94 Posts
I think Penskes will get you close enough to 6".Also you could take off the front spoiler.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
956 Posts
Maybe this would work? Coil spring extenders This is just the first thing that popped on Google when I entered "coil spring extenders" Cheap enough too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Find a different shipping company. I just shipped mine by boat and didn't have any issues and my clearance at the front is 4.5 inches.

·
Vendor
3,269 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem. Tighten up the perches about 15 turns. That said, can you use a couple of boards to get it over the humps? Since you have the stiffer springs on your car should be fairly simple or get you close enough. Take a few pieces of 2x6 about 4' long will get you over any problematic transitions. Taking the splitter off it feasible is always a good idea as it will help approach angle as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Find a different shipping company. I just shipped mine by boat and didn't have any issues and my clearance at the front is 4.5 inches.
Woah woah woah, which shipping company did you use? I've only found three main ones including matson. The others I found simply used matson. I looked into pasha. Ugh, I forgot why I eliminated them. Possibly the duration time. I'll give them a call back.

If you could find out who you used I'd greatly appreciate it as I plan to hike up the car very soon.

To all the others, many thanks. I'll look into it. Unfortunately, I'm all thumbs so if anything requires wrenching on my part, I might as well drive the car off the pier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem. Tighten up the perches about 15 turns. That said, can you use a couple of boards to get it over the humps? Since you have the stiffer springs on your car should be fairly simple or get you close enough. Take a few pieces of 2x6 about 4' long will get you over any problematic transitions. Taking the splitter off it feasible is always a good idea as it will help approach angle as well.
They won't do any special instructions during loading unfortunately.

·
Registered
2002 2ZZ Turbo MRS
10 Posts
"Spring helpers" an old redneck trick for adding height to coil springs. Super cheap rubber blocks that insert into the coil and add a lot of height. Lotus even used them for shipping to the USA. Removal was part of PDI. Some owners reported issues in 2005 when the step to remove them was skipped.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Spring helpers" an old redneck trick for adding height to coil springs. Super cheap rubber blocks that insert into the coil and add a lot of height. Lotus even used them for shipping to the USA. Removal was part of PDI. Some owners reported issues in 2005 when the step to remove them was skipped.
Hmmm that looks simple as hell and it looks like it won't scratch anything either. So you can drive with these on for a bit?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
In my Crossle FF, I use "spring helpers" plastic spacers between the springs and the perches at full droop and then set the car down over an inch taller to load it in the trailer. Works great.

·
Registered
2002 2ZZ Turbo MRS
10 Posts
I mean technically, yes. Your ride would be bouncy as a civic on coilover bump stops but you could do it without damaging anything. Apparently in 2005 quite a few owers inadvertently did lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello ladies and gents,

is the Lotus dealer in Hawaii still in existence?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts