The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

No not me. My nephew and fellow Lotus nut is thinking of taking a job in Philly.

They are there right now scoping out the situation. Is anyone here familiar with the schools....suburbs....for a moderate income family with 2 kids.

They are moving from TN....and it seems to them like the cost of living is much higher than what they used to.

You can post here...but you can also email me .....tvacc at my website which is below.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...my nephew from Lookout Mtn....

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I'm in Philly. You can have him contact me.

As far as homes in the suburbs, there are a couple of options. It really depends on where he is looking to work and how much travel he's willing to do. Chester County has some great schools but can get pricey in areas that offer quick access to town. I like Abington, Jenkintown, Glenside, Rydal, etc. (just north of the city) because you can still get some nice homes and the school district (abington school district) is among the best in the country. It was voted one of the best suburbs in the united states.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Tony,

You know I coordinate Philadelphia Area Lotus Society, you may not know that I went to school in Philly. Your nephew can feel free to call me any time. I may not be able to answer his questions, but I can surely help to direct him to the right place.

If he does move to the area and wants to be active in the Lotus community have him contact me as well.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
killadelphia? you mean the surekill crawlway??rotfl
i lived there when the schuykill expressway was built.
there are so many roads built since, that i get lost when i go back.
there ARE some good things about phila area, as long as you don't live in phila proper, just like pittsburgh.
good luck,
sam

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
I used to fly Lookout Mountain all the time ! Don't forget soft pretzels in Philly !! ( oh, and the pizza is hard to beat also )... and South Street ( if it's still happenin )

·
Registered
93 Posts
I currently live in South Philly and grew up in the burbs about 30-40 mins. outside the city...Where exactly is the job located??? Is it in center city? suburbs? or one of the surrounding areas of the city that seem to crawl out and meet the burbs?

as mentioned previously 76 can be a pain and add HOURS to your day if you live outside the city and have to commute in...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Depending on what he really cares about (and how much money he has) he is better getting a cheap house in Haverford, Lower Merion or Radnor and having his kids go to a good school, than getting a nice hose and going to one of the schools in the city or certain other burbs.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Ron

·
Registered
410 Posts
Killadelphia? Any other opportunities for him?
Unless he's a gangbanger/drug dealer at war with other gangbangers/drug dealers, I'd tell him not to worry about "Killadelphia". It's safe for normal people.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
as mentioned previously 76 can be a pain and add HOURS to your day if you live outside the city and have to commute in...

+100

ive only been to philly a dozen or so times and have wanted to kill myself every time i set wheels on 76

also... tell him to stay away from genos... pats is where its at :up:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live in the Chester County suburbs that are southwest of Philadelphia. It would be a 1 hour plus commute in to the city from here. I have neighbors that make that commute but not me. The nearest public trans in to the city leaves Newark Delaware. This area is not a bad option depending on where your nephew is working. Home prices have dropped a little but haven't bottomed out like Florida. New construction in the area has all but shut down but I'd say it's still a good time to buy.
Bruce

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have leved my whole life in the Philly burbs and while I am sure it will be a shock as far as cost of living goes he will love the area. Lots of things to do. Active automotive communities, and access to a lot of road course and autoX events.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.