The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is anyone in southern California willing to give me a test ride and show me what the Elise is truely capable of??
I have taken one out myself for a demo drive, however going around the block a few times in a town never gave me a chance to really experience the car's potential.
I am not asking to drive the car, just sit in the passenger seat and let the driver show me what the car is capable of, similar to the ride I got in the Radical SR3 around the track.
Maybe go for a spin on some of the famous winding roads in California. I will even chip in for the gas. It will either change my mind or solidify my choice for the car.
Cheers
Secondly, I have deposits at 2 Lotus dealers, one in N.Y. and the other in P.A.. I am moving down to California in Oct. or Nov. and was wondering if I can purchase the car in either N.Y. or P.A. and have it delivered in California or would I have to pick it up in the east??? I really don't want to start over again and put my name on a list at a California Lotus dealership and have to wait 2 more years.
Cheers again.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I'm sure Randy will gladly drive your car back to Cali for ya. Give him a day or two.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Typically, you'd have to pick it up at the dealer where you're on the list. They could arrange for cross country transport of the vehicle, but this would be at an additional cost.

Hate to break it to you, but you'll have to pay CA sales tax on your Elise (currently around 8%, depending on where in the state you live).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Maverick

I purchased my elise out of Chicago and had it shipped directly to CA. All the paperwork and payment was handled over the phone or via FedEx. It was all very easy, although a bit unnerving since I had never seen the car I was buying. The car would have been delivered directly to my doorstep, however I couldn't wait so I picked it up directly off the truck at a GM depot about 10 miles away.

You will have to pay sales tax, get a smog check and take it to DMV for a physical inspection (so they can classify it correctly).
as delivered was.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Shipping Cost?

biobaggie said:
Maverick

I purchased my elise out of Chicago and had it shipped directly to CA. All the paperwork and payment was handled over the phone or via FedEx. It was all very easy, although a bit unnerving since I had never seen the car I was buying. The car would have been delivered directly to my doorstep, however I couldn't wait so I picked it up directly off the truck at a GM depot about 10 miles away.

You will have to pay sales tax, get a smog check and take it to DMV for a physical inspection (so they can classify it correctly).
as delivered was.
Do you remember how much shipping cost from Chicago? The only price I've heard was over a dollar a mile.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I was quoted on shipping from Georgia and it was $1000-1500 for covered transport.

Maverick, I would be happy to give you a ride depending on the amount of time I have and how long it would take. :)

I highly recommend picking your cup and driving it back. A fun experience!

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer Randy..

I will pm you when I get into Southern California. I will probably drive the car back from the East as you suggested, and make an adventure out of it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I was quoted on shipping from Georgia and it was $1000-1500 for covered transport.

Maverick, I would be happy to give you a ride depending on the amount of time I have and how long it would take. :)

I highly recommend picking your cup and driving it back. A fun experience!
Unfortunately, in this great police state of California...driving it back is not an option.......that is, California will not issue a temporary registration. Probably the only state in the Union who won't. So this means either you ship it, or you register it in the state where you purchase it and reregister it again in California. Personally, I would suggest shipping it. Double registration and taxation is a bitch!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I did not travel with a temp registration. I just had the bill of sale.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Unfortunately, in this great police state of California...driving it back is not an option.......that is, California will not issue a temporary registration. Probably the only state in the Union who won't. So this means either you ship it, or you register it in the state where you purchase it and reregister it again in California. Personally, I would suggest shipping it. Double registration and taxation is a bitch!
I don't know that temporary registration is the correct term, but you can get a permit from the DMV to drive an unregistered car. It is issued for a specified period of time and between specified end points. I see them affixed to cars at car shows where people drive unregistered cars there to show.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ChrisB said:
I don't know that temporary registration is the correct term, but you can get a permit from the DMV to drive an unregistered car. It is issued for a specified period of time and between specified end points. I see them affixed to cars at car shows where people drive unregistered cars there to show.
Perhaps I was given incorrect information. When working with an East Coast large volume 'vette dealer, I was told that if having museum delivery, CA DMV is the only state agency that refuses to issue a temporary registration/permit(not sure of the correct term) to drive the car to CA.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe I would have to pay tax twice.

If I have a N.Y. drivers licence and register the vehicle in N.Y. first then drive it down, I don't think I will have to pay California sales tax.
The only thing that really pisses me off is how California charges for licence plates. A friend told me that you have to pay a % of the vehicles value to get the car registered. In most states you just pay a low fee say $75-$100 for your licence plates. I think my friend said it was 2% of the vehicles value. Does anyone in Cali know if this is true??
Cheers

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: I don't believe I would have to pay tax twice.

Maverick1 said:
If I have a N.Y. drivers licence and register the vehicle in N.Y. first then drive it down, I don't think I will have to pay California sales tax.
The only thing that really pisses me off is how California charges for licence plates. A friend told me that you have to pay a % of the vehicles value to get the car registered. In most states you just pay a low fee say $75-$100 for your licence plates. I think my friend said it was 2% of the vehicles value. Does anyone in Cali know if this is true??
Cheers
If the NY sales tax is greater than the CA tax, you will not have to pay any additional tax to register the car. If the NY tax is less than the CA tax, then you will have to pay the difference. They call is a "usage fee" not sales tax, since it really isn't a sale...but it amounts to the same thing.

The annual license plate fee contains a form of property tax. I don't recall the exact percentage. It used to be very high, then we got a tax break, then Gray Davis rescinded the break (which was a big reason behind his being recalled), the Governator reinstated the lower rate, which I'm guessing is in the 1-2% range. Since it is a property tax, it is deductible on your federal tax return.

Every state extracts money from you, they just get it in different ways. CA just includes all of them. :D

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In California, your vehicle registration includes a Property Tax portion called the Vehicle License Fee (VLF). This is currently 2% of the vehicles "estimated value", calculated as the purchase price, minus 10% each year its owned (for depreciation). There are other static registration fees in addition to the VLF (around $60?), but for newer cars, VLF makes up almost all your annual registration costs.

Because it's a Property Tax, it's deductable from your income tax. (unlike sales tax, which for some reason can be double-taxed)

When my Lotus dealership adds a $2500 profit markup, I will be paying 2% of that too every year as part of my registration, for the life of the car, starting at about $50/year -- it's the gift that keeps on giving!

It's not quite accurate to say that California charges this for "license plates". They DO charge for plates, as part of the "Title & Registration" fee when you purchase your car. Vanity plates, of course, cost extra and also add to the yearly registration.

When you pay your annual registration, you get a sticker indicating the year to place on your rear plate.

Starting with the fifth year of ownership, the car must also be smog-checked every two years. You pay this out-of-pocket, provide proof to the DMV, and they will allow you to register the car. We don't have "inspection" stickers seperate from the registration.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from personal experience

all I know is that in N.Y. all you have to pay to register a car is I think $75-$85 dollars flat fee. If you buy a $100,000 dollar car in N.Y. it would still only cost $75.00, but let me get this straight, in California it would cost 2% of $100,000 or $2000.00 just to register the vehicle and get licence plates for it.
That is just crazy. I don't know how the California residents put up with that kind of a government scam. I am surprised that the public has not risen up and revolted and publically protested that tax grab.
I don't believe any other state charges so much to drive in their state. Wow. Now I know why there are so many older cars on the road in California, people cannot afford to register expensive cars.
I think I will keep my N.Y. plates on the car for a while even after moving down there. You know "just visiting" for a long time, if you get my drift.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Re: from personal experience

Maverick1 said:
I think I will keep my N.Y. plates on the car for a while even after moving down there. You know "just visiting" for a long time, if you get my drift.
The CHP and local police are on the look out for out of state cars that they see on a regualar regular . If you had AZ or NV plates you might get away with it for a bit but NY will not be easy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The dealer in Chicago issued a temporary registration (7 days) for me which enabled me to drive the car for a couple of days before I could get to DMV here in So. Cal.

Ask your dealer if they can complete a Sales Tax Transaction Return. In Illinois this is form ST-556 issued by the Illinois Department of Revenue. This form allows the dealer to make the sale exempt from Sales Tax on the basis that it is an out of state buyer and the car will not be registered permanently in IL. I'm not sure if NY has something equivalent but it's worth a try. I just paid CA sales tax when I registered the vehicle with CA DMV.

BTW - I shopped around for shipping prices from IL to CA and I was quoted anywhere between $1300 - $1600 for covered transport and approx. half that for open transport. I imagine NY to CA will be more expensive. In the end I managed to get a deal through my dealer for $1000. If your dealer ships quite a few vehicles, then chances are they will have a discounted rate, so check with them. Even though my car was shipped under cover, it still arrived quite dusty. I hate to think what it would have been like under open transport - it was worth the extra expense to go covered.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ground Loop said:
In California, your vehicle registration includes a Property Tax portion called the Vehicle License Fee (VLF). This is currently 2% of the vehicles "estimated value", calculated as the purchase price, minus 10% each year its owned (for depreciation). There are other static registration fees in addition to the VLF (around $60?), but for newer cars, VLF makes up almost all your annual registration costs.

Because it's a Property Tax, it's deductable from your income tax.
Is it really this much? My DMV registration was $339 with the purchase price at $43,715.

It's not quite accurate to say that California charges this for "license plates".

When you pay your annual registration, you get a sticker indicating the year to place on your rear plate.
Yup. Hundreds of dollars for a numbered 1"x2" sticker. Most expensive stickers I've ever bought, and I have the privilege of having to buy 2 of them (for 2 cars) every year! The 2005 sticker will match Saffron Yellow cars, though. :p

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Dan said:
Is it really this much? My DMV registration was $339 with the purchase price at $43,715.
Interesting question. I believe the VLF is still technically 2%, but there is a "VLF Offset" that subtracts much of that out at the same time. It's all shennanigans, but I think tinkering/killing this Offset was what got Davis recalled. Ayone here know for sure?

I do know there was one year I paid an enormous registration on the Camry, and it was never refunded. Those within some window got a partial refund. It was pretty random stuff.

I'll see if I can find a reliable reference for how this is all computed.

Edit:

On October 1, 2003, the VLF was fully reinstated.
On Nov 17, 2003, the "reinstatement was rescinded"

There is now a VLF offset of 67.5%, which (I think) means the VLF is effectively 0.65% instead of 2%. That would agree with your DMV fees.

I really believe they make this stuff complicated for a specific reason -- so we can't figure it out.

EDIT #2:
Excellent info from RWL in this thread:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11302038~mode=flat

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: from personal experience

Maverick1 said:
I don't know how the California residents put up with that kind of a government scam. I am surprised that the public has not risen up and revolted and publically protested that tax grab.
We did. That is why the Governator is finishing out Gray Davis's term.:clap: The VLF is back down to .65%, as Ground Loop noted.

Some states get you with high income tax rates, some with property tax, some with real estate tax. It doesn't matter much how/where they get it...they all get it. CA is only average in government gouging. After the cost of housing, the taxes (other than real estate taxes) are just average.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts