The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
Aty and Evl helped me before on this. I still seem to have problems on what to do. Does anyone have a good weblink to record MP3 cds.

Here's what I want to do. I've got a lot of stereo cds. What program can I use to save these onto my computer. it seems when I put them in my cd drive on the computer I can't figure out how to save on my hard drive. Once I have these files stored than I can convert to mp3 format with realplayer, zy2000 MP3 cd maker, etc.

Than I just record these files in data format with 128kbs to keep decent sound quality and I can fit 10 or so music cds to one mp3 cd? Is this right.

Thanks again, sorry for being such a dunce on this I know absolutely nothing about stereo stuff except what music I like,
Chris

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI Aty,
thanks for quick response.!
Chris
no problem--freerip looks like a good (free) program to use.

Your question actually helped me, because I still need to convert all my CD's to mp3 too. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Chris, Mac or Windows?

Mac: iTunes for sure, it comes with MacOS and is a joy to use.
Win: CDnow is a good slim ripping software if you don't want to download iTunes, you should use something like Nero to create data/music/mp3 CD's it works well. Nero is perhaps the best bet of all, drag and drop your mp3's and burn either as a data CD with mp3 files or regular audio CD's.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Babak,
WIndows, thanks for the tips,that combined with the great link aty provided, I think by the time my car gets here I'll have it figured out.
Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I still might have an earlier version of Nero floating around somewhere (Use only Mac's now) I'll see if I can dig it up and mail it to you if you want since I'm not using it, PM me if you like.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Chris, a friend of mine suggested using CDex to rip and convert to MP3.

It can encode to MP3 while reading the track from the CD. Using constant bit rate encoding at 192kbps, high quality, it is very fast. I estimate it takes 1/10 the length of the CD to do the extraction and conversion.

CDex also will automatically look up the CD title and year, and the track titles, using the online CD database (CDDB). It includes that information in the MP3 information tags so that your MP3 player can use them, and it files the tracks in folders for each band and album.

It's pretty much a 2-step process for me. I run CDex, put in the CD, and hit go. When I've ripped all the CDs I want, I run my CD writer program (Roxio Easy CD Creator), drag the artist/album folders onto the new project and hit "record".

CDex will also do ABR and VBR type variable bitrate recordings, but they are slower. ABR is a lot slower. It uses the LAME encoder, which is open source and supposedly distributable without a license from the MPEG group.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm revisiting this thread because I need to burn the Elise MP3 CD.
A couple of questions: What software supports the creation of the text tags to go along with each song so that the stereo will display the band and song name?

Any suggestions for sites to dowload some free songs or is all of that histroy since the napster mess? I never dowloaded a song in my life but now it would be a good time to start.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Make sure you read the manual for the directory format for the MP3 CD's

On the piracy stuff. Sorry no help from me. Being a computer game programmer I don't support people stealing stuff. :no: :no: :no:

Edit, but there is free music out there from groups that want exposure.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Just a note that downloading/sharing MP3s is not automatically piracy. I buy all my CDs because I believe in supporting the musicians and I like having them. But some songs/musicians are available for download with the musician's blessing.

And I use a Peer-to-Peer sharing (or Bit Torrent) for downloading the same songs I own, because it's faster than ripping it from the CD.

Edit to note your edit. :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
What software supports the creation of the text tags to go along with each song so that the stereo will display the band and song name?
That information is embedded in the mp3 file itself. Most PC-based playback software will give you the option of editing that information.

Since you're looking for places to download music, I recommend downloading iTunes. It's free, and does a nice job of organizing your music or helping you burn it to a CD. You have access to the iTunes music store, but note that any songs you purchase from there are NOT in mp3 format and cannot be played by the Elise's stereo. Song-stealing software such as Limewire even integrate with iTunes, adding newly downloaded songs to your iTunes library automatically (on the Mac, at least).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Just a note that downloading/sharing MP3s is not automatically piracy. I buy all my CDs because I believe in supporting the musicians and I like having them. But some songs/musicians are available for download with the musician's blessing.

And I use a Peer-to-Peer sharing (or Bit Torrent) for downloading the same songs I own, because it's faster than ripping it from the CD.

Edit to note your edit. :)
Thanks for the responses, I actually was enquiring about free dowloads as I mentioned on my post. I also don't approve of piracy but didn't know if all the free donwloads on the net were gone since all of the mess and law suits related to Napster and subsequent headches in the industry.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
sorry for assuming that sites to dowload some free songs didn't mean free downloads.

Touchy subject for me :)

Sorry for being pedantic but, make sure you read up the MP3 cd directory structure.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Miguel said:
sorry for assuming that sites to dowload some free songs didn't mean free downloads.

Touchy subject for me :)

Sorry for being pedantic but, make sure you read up the MP3 cd directory structure.
Miguel, don't be sorry, I just cleared it up because I didn't want the thread to degenerate into a discussion about the merits of copyright laws, we do that enough with all the other threads.

I did read your comment about the directory structure, I got the manual here and I'm starting to copy my cds to the computer to start working on it. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the time to burn the CD.

Some bands I got in mind so far for my CD:

- Dire Dtraights
- U2
- Queen
- Led Zeppelin
- Pink Floyd
- Kansas
- Dave Matthews
- Bob Marley
- George Thorgood
- Super Tramp

there is more I just can't remember now, got get all my CDS out and start looking.

Any suggestions, I like all kinds of music but for the Liz I picture mostly Classic Rock

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I burned three or four CD-Rs for a road trip last year only to find out that the (Pioneer?) head unit does not support MP3 ID3 v2.0. ID3 is the tag format for the Artist/Album/Track information that is embedded into most .mp3 files, and I think there are three versions of it -- 1.0, 1.1, 2.0.

So, to be safe, I would rip only with ID3 v1.0 or v1.1 tags. Hopefully the manual says which it supports.

Most good CD-ripping software will look up the CD in either Gracenote's CDDB or the free FreeDB database to find out the contents. Then it will automatically name your files for you and populate the ID3 tag info.

If you don't have one already, you can check into EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It's the most reliable and versatile of the rippers I've used.

iTunes is very nice, but you have to fight with it to get your music into MP3 format. It prefers AAC, Apple's own (arguably superior) compression format.

Some common CD-burning software can also rip tracks to MP3.

Like Miguel said, match the directory structure the player expects -- which isn't hard since it's a pretty common layout anyway. Stick to ID3 v1.1 tags, nothing newer, and burn just one CD to test first. Make sure it all works before assembling a handful like I did.

In a car, especially a noisy one, encoding at higher than 128kbps or 160kbps is probably going to waste. Unless you're also going to use the same tracks with headphones or in a quiet room, you can pack more onto a CD by going 128kbps. Higher fidelity listening would be better with 192+kbps or AAC.

All in all, the MP3 option is awesome, and I'd much rather burn $0.15 CD-Rs of 700MB than expensive MMC cards of 128MB that I have to shuttle to the computer to rewrite.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
To be clear, you can't then just copy a bunch of MP3s into the CD's root directory and have it play on the Blaunpunkt?

·
Registered
643 Posts
There are legal mp3 downloads on Amazon. Go to Amazon's music store and select 'Free Downloads' from the secondary menu across the top.

Also, you can sign up for a trial account on emusic.com. They will give you a number of free downloads to try the service out, and all their music is provided as regular mp3s.

As far as software goes, I use iTunes on my Mac.

Jim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts