The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mazda forums are abuzz with the news Eaton intends to discontinue the venerable MP62 supercharger. Some Mazda forum posters feel it will make better marketing opportunities for the TVS line of superchargers. Of note, the new 1.8 litre Elise S model is using a 900 TVS supercharger, instead of the MP62. Perhaps Lotus caught wind of this in time to switch products. This leads to question what will happen long term with replacement parts, should the MP62 drop out of production, and how it could impact the cost of replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
There are not many parts that go! And the bearings can all be outsourced. No need to fret! It is an outdated design though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yup why wouldn't they discontinue it. The R900 does everything the MP62 does.... just better.

I wouldn't worry about replacement parts for a 62 at this point though. Bearings are basically always available along with other rebuild parts (seals, clips, etc). Other items likely will stop being reproduced (casings, rotor packs, etc). However typically those parts don't go bad and if they do there are enough used MP62s out there to provide backup parts for a while.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
There are aproximatly 29 Gazillion MP62 in existance, so you should always be able to source one if needed and several reputable companies out there that specialize in rebuilding them (if on the off chance you need to rebuild on).

The TVS series is incredibly popular right now. I believe every car currently that is sold in America that is supecharged is using a TVS series supercharger. And with the push by OEM's for better fuel effeciency, the low boost capabilities (6-10 PSI) of the MP series just isn't enough anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Westrock,
I challenge your numbers, upon critical review there are only 28.93 Gazillion MP62's. ;)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
The mazda forums are abuzz with the news Eaton intends to discontinue the venerable MP62 supercharger. Some Mazda forum posters feel it will make better marketing opportunities for the TVS line of superchargers. Of note, the new 1.8 litre Elise S model is using a 900 TVS supercharger, instead of the MP62. Perhaps Lotus caught wind of this in time to switch products. This leads to question what will happen long term with replacement parts, should the MP62 drop out of production, and how it could impact the cost of replacement parts.
so are the boe rev300 &400 superchargers tvs900 class?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somebody help me out, arent the REV superchargers actually the 1320?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Yep, 1320s on the REV kits... The 900 is not ideal for making over 300bhp. No doubt it's better than the 62. It's slated to be a direct replacement and even share the same bolt pattern by their respective makers (Harrop, Mag, etc). Just like the 62, the 900 is still best suited for sub 300bhp output. Does NOT mean that it's impossible to go above that output. Above that point, a larger blower would make more sense, ie the 1320. We're now pushing the 1320 well into the mid to upper 400s bhp and we're getting to the point where the 1320 will run out of huff as well... I've actually had the 1900 in my hands. It's way too big to fit from a real estate perspective. The 1650 might fit, but I'm not sure that a casting and rotor group exist for the 1650 yet. Not sure that I care that much either, LOL. After all the thousands of track and street miles on the 1320, I think it's safe to say that it's a pretty good fit. No point in changing a good thing :) :up:

PV

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why doesn't BOE replace the mp62 rev250 kit with a TVS900?

I want supercharging that will allow me to spank my car hard with the stock clutch and tranny... and I worry that 300bhp will eventually destroy things.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
We just might at somepoint... Honestly, The TVS 300 and 400 kits are far more popular than the M62 kits so most of our time and energy goes to those two platforms. THe stock hardware, motor and tranny, have worked extremely well with the 300 and 400 kits. The only reason to look at the the 250 kit is budget constraints for the kit itself, not reliability... The 300 kit is just as simple, just as reliable, better output, more potential, etc... albet, more expensive...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a sub-note to this (prophetic) posting. A couple months later my MP62 supercharger failed. Zero stock was available; it took a bit over 2 months for another production run to occur at Eaton. This supercharger is now being produced in fits and spurts, with zero inventory happening in between. I expect long delays on custom Lotus parts such as clams, however, it was not expected for American produced parts. Factor this in for decisions on future supercharger purchases. Yes, they can be rebuilt in most cases, but not in all cases. This can be problematic should you require a warranty replacement.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
jeez...that sucks... my condolences. Hope you get that puppy back up & spinning! Maybe time for a REV?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Komiko,
It is up and running, the car was dropped of for repair in august of 2012. I picked it up a couple months later. My comments were meant as a cautionary tale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts