The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the people over on newcelica.org have found that the LSD from the 04 MR-2 Spyder and the foreign MR-2s LSDs will fit inside a Celica GT-S transmission. This seems like it would be a good idea for Lotus to offer as an option. It is also cheaper htan buying the limited run of Quiafe helical LSDs (clutch types abound for this car, but dropping a transaxle to replace clutch packs isn't fun).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just to verify I have the c-60 in a spyder with the lsd it does work and provdes controllable throttle induced over steer to the spyder.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
LR, welcome. just couldn;t resist could ya? :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nope. Thanks for the welcome. If I wasn't so deep into the spyder with mods it would be for sale and I would be on the waiting list. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
LittleRocket said:
Nope. Thanks for the welcome. If I wasn't so deep into the spyder with mods it would be for sale and I would be on the waiting list. ;)
Ahhh you know there are enough peopl on the board to buy your spyder with all the mods. You know you want to. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hmm... I happen to know of a spare Spyder LSD sitting very close to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can't you just promise not to mess with this car so there won't being any problems with the oil lines on this one? :p You could also try the line "But everyone else is getting one, please?". :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yuk yuk yuk. Naaahhh. I have a 230 ish h/p 2100 lb car already. Me thinks the spyder is a keeper. Somone walks away from me at the gap and that will be a different story. But i am not holding my breath. ;)

Besides the wife has agreed to "let" me build a FFR coupe after the spyder is paid for. Nothing like putting 30 k into a 50k car beat the fool out of it for 5 years freshen the paint and turn a 20k profit. ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol

Welcome Hong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LSD???

Back to the original subject...

Any instructions/tips on the fitting of the limited slip differential (LSD) into the Elise/Celica?

I figure the Legal Dept. kept the LSD and the Passenger Airbag Disable features on the sidelines...:mad:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah make sure you have a

Torque wrench that reads accurately down to 8 in/lbs
Your standard 3/8" or 1/2" torque wrench
A decent 2 jaw puller.
I had to make a tool to remove the 5th driven gear but a special service tool is available from toyota.
Snap ring pliers
A brass or cowhide hammer
Lots o paitence
And some silicone

When you get round-to-it drop me a line and I will e-mail you a PDF of the celica manual with the build sequence and torque specs. :D It is not that difficult. Just time consuming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll bug you in a couple of years when my Elise arrives :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Toyota & Grassroots Motorsports

Regarding references to Toyota LSD in MR-2 Spyder and 'clutch packs':
I'm pretty certain I read that the LSD offered in current/new MR-2's is a Torsen, which doesn't use clutch packs (not being a clutch-type LSD).
After reading an excellent, but brief article in the May issue of Grassroots Motorsports on LSD's, it's understandable why Lotus is taking so much time to evaluate and make a decision on what to make available for our Elise's. There are several types of LSD, including clutch, ratchet, cone, viscous, etc. and each one has variable characteristics that are modified to meet the requirements of each car and its intended use. It's obvious that there is more to selecting an LSD for the Lotus than merely finding one that fits the housing. I would think the characteristics of the Celica GT, being front wheel drive, would imply a different setup of the LSD than would be suitable for the Elise. Probably some difference, although more subtle, when comparing the MR-2 to the Elise.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Toyota & Grassroots Motorsports

Less Moore said:
Regarding references to Toyota LSD in MR-2 Spyder and 'clutch packs':
I'm pretty certain I read that the LSD offered in current/new MR-2's is a Torsen, which doesn't use clutch packs (not being a clutch-type LSD).
After reading an excellent, but brief article in the May issue of Grassroots Motorsports on LSD's, it's understandable why Lotus is taking so much time to evaluate and make a decision on what to make available for our Elise's. There are several types of LSD, including clutch, ratchet, cone, viscous, etc. and each one has variable characteristics that are modified to meet the requirements of each car and its intended use. It's obvious that there is more to selecting an LSD for the Lotus than merely finding one that fits the housing. I would think the characteristics of the Celica GT, being front wheel drive, would imply a different setup of the LSD than would be suitable for the Elise. Probably some difference, although more subtle, when comparing the MR-2 to the Elise.
The Celica LSD is identical to the MR-S'.
I just hope Lotus finds a LSD suitable for the Elise that doesn't need rebuilding. Opening the transaxle is a pain!

·
Registered
648 Posts
wow the 2zz engine and trans sure got around. They can be found in many other cars, matrix, carolla, and celica. I did notice that the vibe has the same 6sp trans as an option. In my opinion it's a good move lotus got a motor that has many applications. It's means for the DIY people you can source parts without having some lotus dealer charge you an arm and a leg. So how about a cusco 1.5 way LSD, rps cluth and fly wheel:coolnana:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts