The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove one a while back for fun and was dissapointed to say the least. I love the looks of the car, but it appeared to lack any sort of power. Is this the consensus for this vehicle? Is there different types/models with larger more powerful engines? It just would be a lot nicer if it was quick!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
And which one did you drive? The naturally aspirated 2.2l 1990-1905 car? The turbo? The supercharged? The Spyder?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was a 2000 MR2 Spyder. Do they come factory turbo or supercharged. I did a little search on the internet and didn't find much. What's all out there for this car?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ahh... I have autocrossed/raced every version of MR2 sold in the US.

The Spyder uses a pretty anemic engine by many standards, it's low weight and nimbleness are it's strengths. The 0-60mph is 6.9 seconds. Not shabby, but nothing to write home about.

The Spyder is not designed for good acceleration, it was designed for handling. There are no factory superchargers or turbos for it, though there is aftermarket support and also people have been swapping in the same engine as the Elise, the 2ZZ.

You can now find a 2000 model pretty cheap. The 2004 added LSD as an option. Supposedly the engines may be less troublesome on 2003+ models.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
DavidV said:
The MKII MR2 is a terrific tuner platform. Lots of potential there.
You're one to talk, too! Seriously. I've seen pics of what your car has become, and it's very, very nice!

Yes, when it comes to MR2s, if you want to heavily modify one, get the MKII Turbo ('91-95).

For more info on MR2s, check out ClubMR2 or the MR2 message board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts