The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know some of you have had both. how do you compare size/ clearance inside room etc. i owned mr2 for 12 years but have yet to see an elise. with mine due anytime im curious about comparison.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Which MR2? The MKII?

Compared to the MKII-

Elise is lower. Harder to get in and out. Otherwise size seems close.

Elise has less ground clearance and requires more care when driving.

Trunk storage is about the same. Except the opening is smaller. A little less useful storage behind the seats in the Elise, specially with the passenger seat not moving. No glove box in the Elise. No frunk (front trunk) in the Elise. No spare in the Elise.

Room inside to me is about the same, though you feel more confined or closer to the passenger. Slightly easier to reach across and do the passenger window in the Elise compared to the MR2. I think I have more headroom in the Elise.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was refering to the older model i had a 91 mr2 turbo

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Elise has less ground clearance and requires more care when driving.
That may be true for a stock MR2, but my '91 had the AeroWare body kit and Eibach lowering springs, and that combination resulted in less ground clearance than the Elise. Well, more accurately, it's the approach angle that suffered, I'd scrape my MR2's front lip all the time, never have done so in the Elise (yet!).

Less space inside than the MR2 - you're rubbing elbows with your passenger. Controls are not as well placed as the MR2 (stereo, for example).

If you're used to driving an MKII MR2, you'll get in the Elise and feel right at home (except rear blind spots are worse). The driving feel is similar, just that all the sensations and responses are amplified, you're much more in touch with what's going on. There's virtually zero storage inside the passenger cabin - the shelf behind the seats is practically unreachable while seated. The trunk is a nice size, not as convenient as the MR2 but very useable.

I find the Elise much easier to drive fast, mainly because it's so confidence-inspiring compared to the MR2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
im glad to see there is other mr2 owners here, well maybe previous owners, i still have a 91 turbo, i cant afford an elise, but i would love nothing more to have one, you guys dont know how luck you are

·
Registered
66 Posts
it seems like everyone that owns or had an MR2 had a 91'.... Anyone else out there with a 95' turbo??? Just looking for the other 130 +- people out there with the last and best year for the MR2

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
agree with MattG

I'll have to agree with Matt on this one.

I had a 92 Turbo with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Tokico Illumina shocks with 17inch wheels shod with Bridgestone S-03's. I loved the handling with this combination (especially the tires), but the Elise is in a totally different class.

The Elise inspires so much more confidence. With the Elise I feel like I can put it in a pinpoint spot around corners (or anywhere on the road for that matter) while the MR2 handling was much less precise. I never felt like I could put the Two exactly where I wanted it to go and even if I did, I never completely trusted the limits of the suspension.

The Elise makes the MR2 feel like a Camry. Every sensation is somewhat deadened compared to Elise. Elise is like visiting your dentist and getting no painkiller before having a cavity filled. MR2 is like getting a full set of novocaine shots before the work...

I still loved the MR2T, but my Elise has made the separation easy...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Also remember that the MR2 is between 600-800 lbs heavier than the Elise... a considerable amount. When I switched from MKI to MKII MR2, I could not believe how heavy the thing felt (is "felt" a word?).

While I still have *yet* to drive the Elise (in the near 2 years I've been on the list), I would venture to say that its light weight translates to a much more nimble and purposeful feel... the lack of power steering on the Elise should give a *much* better feel, and, let's face it, comparing the MR2's suspension to the Elise's is like comparing... well, a Toyota to a Lotus. ;)

::just going back to read the original post - I haven't answered any of your questions::

The MR2 is much more accommodating than the Elise as far as driver room (at least for my 6'5" frame). I'm fairly comfortable in the MR2 and I'm fairly cramped in the Elise. Driver and passenger practically touch shoulders in the Elise. You obviously cannot rest your right arm on the transmission tunnel for shifting (because there isn't one). The steering wheel is smaller on the Elise and the trunk is not as easy to use (being that it does not go all the way to the rear of the car).

... and, for the record, I have a '91 as well. ;)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Brian, as much as we all liked to think of our MR2s as baby Lamborghinis, trust me, that's not a transmission tunnel your arm's resting on. :p

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
MattG said:
Brian, as much as we all liked to think of our MR2s as baby Lamborghinis, trust me, that's not a transmission tunnel your arm's resting on. :p
well, maybe not yours. ;)

hehehe yeah, ok. what do you call it then? I actually sat and thought about it for a second before I posted.. came up with nothing better than "center arm-rest thingy"

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,802 Posts
BrianK said:
(is "felt" a word?).
feel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl)
v. felt, (flt) feel·ing, feels
v. tr.

To perceive through the sense of touch: feel the velvety smoothness of a peach.
To perceive as a physical sensation: feel a sharp pain; feel the cold.

To touch.
To examine by touching. See Synonyms at touch.
To test or explore with caution: feel one's way in a new job.

To undergo the experience of: felt my interest rising; felt great joy.
To be aware of; sense: felt the anger of the crowd.
To be emotionally affected by: She still feels the loss of her dog.

To be persuaded of (something) on the basis of intuition, emotion, or other indefinite grounds: I feel that what the informant says may well be true.
To believe; think: She felt his answer to be evasive.

v. intr.
To experience sensations of touch.

To produce a particular sensation, especially through the sense of touch: The sheets felt smooth.
To produce a particular impression; appear to be; seem: It feels good to be home. See Usage Note at well2.
To be conscious of a specified kind or quality of physical, mental, or emotional state: felt warm and content; feels strongly about the election.
To seek or explore something by the sense of touch: felt for the light switch in the dark.
To have compassion or sympathy: I feel for him in his troubles.

n.
Perception by or as if by touch; sensation: a feel of autumn in the air.
The sense of touch: a surface that is rough to the feel.

An act or instance of touching or feeling.
Vulgar. An act or instance of sexual touching or fondling.
The nature or quality of something as perceived by or as if by the sense of touch: “power steering that seems overassisted, eliminating road feel” (Mark Ginsburg).
Overall impression or effect; atmosphere: “gives such disparate pictures... a crazily convincing documentary feel” (Stephen King).
Intuitive awareness or natural ability: has a feel for decorating.

Phrasal Verbs:
feel out
To try cautiously or indirectly to ascertain the viewpoint or nature of.
feel up Vulgar
To touch or fondle (someone) sexually.

Idioms:
feel in (one's) bones
To have an intuition of.
feel like Informal
To have an inclination or desire for: felt like going for a walk.
feel like (oneself)
To sense oneself as being in one's normal state of health or spirits: I just don't feel like myself today.
feel (one's) oats
To be energetic and playful.
To act in a self-important manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English felen, from Old English flan. See pl- in Indo-European Roots.]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Our hands rest (not when driving of course since both hands should be on the wheel) on a gas tank. I don't see how it's less noble than transmission tunnel ;-)

BrianK said:
well, maybe not yours. ;)

hehehe yeah, ok. what do you call it then? I actually sat and thought about it for a second before I posted.. came up with nothing better than "center arm-rest thingy"

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had three MR2s. 85, 87 which I gave to my dumb brother in law and it sits in his yard rotting away! And now I own a 2000 Spyder. Soon to also have my Laser Blue Elise!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts