The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of us know Lou Gigliotti tests at MSR and I'd heard rumors about this but didn't get a link to the video until this morning. Here's the closed cockpit record.

He makes it look easy.
:shift:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6eP1_sNz3E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6eP1_sNz3E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Sure makes my 1:32 look slow.. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
meh, i heard that a factory test driver piloted a nissan gt-r around that course in 1:07 flat.

;)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Jesus Christ. Thanks for posting it Cody.

I'm going to try his totally inside line around the first right-hander of rattlesnake next time.

xtn

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Nice.

That thing has AMAZING power. Anyone know the stats on the car?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The straights seem alot shorter in that video. Also, its interesting the degree of throttle modulation he uses. Fast and solid with no drama, I guess thats why he does it for real.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice.

That thing has AMAZING power. Anyone know the stats on the car?
450-500hp with a weight minimum of 2480 pounds in ALMS GT2.
A new Z06 is what? 505hp? Kind of puts it in perspective.

The GT2 cars are Riley built to distinguish them from the "factory" GT1 Pratt & Miller built cars.

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
smooth:bow:
thats what i was going to say also.
look at him on the steering wheel. he is not sawing at it. all the inputs are smooth, and smooth is fast.
he is hauling ass, no other way to describe it

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Jesus Christ. Thanks for posting it Cody.

I'm going to try his totally inside line around the first right-hander of rattlesnake next time.

xtn
Looks like he is taking a weird line through little bend as well. Looks like he is early apexing quite a bit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
He makes MSR look like a kart track -eek-

I guess the tires they were testing were ok....:clap:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Looks like he is taking a weird line through little bend as well. Looks like he is early apexing quite a bit.
Not really apexing at all. Treating it more like a small carousel and riding the inner curb all the way around. I think I'm going to experiment with that.

Brake 50' sooner sinse I won't be diving across to the outside,
Brake over to the right so I'm near the curb for turn-in,
then try to power-steer around the curb in second gear.

Just going try it out and see how it feels.

xtn

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hot lap tire test

Pretty amazing lap times.

My guess is the car is running on super soft tires that won't last for more than 10-20 hot laps. Indy, and F-1 teams put on special hot lap tires that are super grippy, but won't last very long. They do this when qualifying for pole position and when changing tires every 20 laps or so is no big deal. Basically 5 laps to warm everything up and then balls to the wall driving for 5-7 laps and the tires are dead. IMHO, that's what makes the qualifying sessions and time trials so much fun to watch. You get to see a car / driver combination that is running flat out.

I'd love to have the budget to do that, but....:shrug:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Pretty amazing lap times.

My guess is the car is running on super soft tires that won't last for more than 10-20 hot laps. Indy, and F-1 teams put on special hot lap tires that are super grippy, but won't last very long. They do this when qualifying for pole position and when changing tires every 20 laps or so is no big deal. Basically 5 laps to warm everything up and then balls to the wall driving for 5-7 laps and the tires are dead. IMHO, that's what makes the qualifying sessions and time trials so much fun to watch. You get to see a car / driver combination that is running flat out.

I'd love to have the budget to do that, but....:shrug:
Also remember this is the track we will be running on May 3rd, 4th.. :) It wont be that configuration, but you will get to drive most of what you see in the video plus another 1.3 miles. :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If LG has less than 600 hp I would be surprised - that car sounds like it wraps to nearly 9000 rpm and I bet he removed any restrictor since he was just going for it.
I've run 1:12s in an open wheel car, but that kind of closed wheel pace is insane. My best is 1:15.5 in a GT3 Cup car, which is around 2800 lbs and 400 hp, so more power, excellent driving, better aero and ? still makes 1:11.5 seem amazing, as half a second is a big improvement.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
On May 25th, Lou Gigliotti will be at Scion of Dallas for a ricekiller.com car show. 5pm to 10pm signing autographs and stuff. His vette is supposed to be there.

xtn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts