The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the resonable limit for markup is. Would most people on this site pay $45K for when their Elise arrives? What about $50K?? I pulled out of my deposite from Smith Volvo in San Luis Obispo since they could not confirm my final pay. They told me that it would depend on the demand.... whatever that means.... The most I'd pay for an Elise is low 40k's.

Just wondering....

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MSRP (including options and Lotus' delivery charge). That's what my deposit says. That's all I'll pay. That's what the dealer is charging. NO markup.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This post is a little pointless if you already have MSRP in writing, as no one with MSRP in writing is going to expect to pay a markup. For people that don't have MSRP in writing this thread makes sense, as they will likely be asking themselves this very question.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
MSRP is what I was willing to pay, and that's what my dealer guaranteed. One reason that I didn't place a deposit with the dealer closest to me was that they weren't prepared to promise MSRP, although it now appears that they will honor that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about them ripping my off... They seem like really good people. They were asking $1K for the deposite and would only confirm my spot for recieving the Elise. He also mentioned he was waiting on "other" pricing coming from LUSA (whatever that meant).

Anyone go through Smith Volvo/Lotus for their Elise on this site??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Anyone go through Smith Volvo/Lotus for their Elise on this site??
They promised MRSP at the beginning. Then after they took about 20 deposits, they want market price, presumably about 2K markup according to the salesmen. But I won't trust them on anything.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
agent.5 said:
Then after they took about 20 deposits, they want market price, presumably about 2K markup according to the salesmen.
My friend told me they were looking at a $4K markup. I'm so glad I didn't put a deposite down. That would mean my Elise would cost close to $50k after "touring" and "sales tax"! I'll stick to my 2000 Esprit that cost less :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Per Tim Mullen: "MSRP (including options and Lotus' delivery charge). That's what my deposit says. That's all I'll pay. That's what the dealer is charging. NO markup."

I agree. That's me - no markup, have a solid written contract and a non-refundable deposit - not playing games - I'm a BUYER, not a DEPOSITOR.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Paying a markup here

It looks like I will pay the mandatory $2500 markup to Desert European motorcars. To me, it's just risk management.

This dealership was able to offer an earlier delivery -- July of this year instead of July of next year, and an actual List Position # instead of vague handwaving.

It is worth $2500 to me to have the car a year earlier. I understand this is not true for many folks here, but everyone has to make their own call.

There is also the risk that MSRP next year could be higher, because of demand or US Dollar devaluation. If I wait an extra 18 months for delivery, I may STILL end up paying more than $40k.

Other dealerships could swear MSRP, but with a triple-digit waiting list position, I'd have nothing but pictures to look at for over a year. From buying other cars, I know how "flexible" MSRP is when it comes time to take delivery -- flooring charges, dealer prep fees, who is going to argue and refuse the Elise keys sitting on the table?

If I was early on a list for MSRP with a reputable dealer, I'd be as happy as some of the smug folks here -- but that just isn't an option to latecomers who haven't been hounding Lotus dealers for the last two years. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
$39,985 + destination + tax + $200 "whatever" fee
Yep, that is exactly what I'm paying at Palm Beach Motor cars.

I wouldn't pay any more.

OT: What spot to do you have at Palm Beach? I'm #24, with Nov-Dec delivery. :(

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MSRP and no more, otherwise I'm off to find something else.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
babak said:
MSRP and no more, otherwise I'm off to find something else.
Babak your 890 post count would lead me to believe that you would not switch (away from the Elise) as easily as your post would indicate...:rolleyes:

Patrick
2005 Elise and locked in :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
$2,500 at Newport European. They've been good to me and the additional dealer markup isn't disuading me from buying the Elise from them. In the grand scheme of things, $2,500 is fairly inconsequential for me on this particular car. Considering I already put $1,500 down as a depsit, it's only adding another $1,000 to the MSRP when my car comes in.

Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just can't bring myself to pay a dealer anything over MSRP, so I'll have to patient with #102.

I went by Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City, CA. a few days ago. The salesman alleged that they stopped taking orders at 32, what they expected to get in the first year. He also said they got 10k over MSRP for each one (!!). Anyone here put in an order from Boardwalk that can confirm this?

That makes for a 50k plus elise, ouch.

:eek:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The below quote by the Lotus director of sales is from the other thread on the Wards trade article.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_longaw...tyear/index.htm

“ We’re not driving the bus on that one,” O’Shaughnessy says. “Dealers can charge what they want,” he adds, noting the bulging order book, number of apparently serious deposits and pent-up demand have created a climate ripe for dealers to charge higher-than-MSRP prices for the new Elise. ....

Yeaahh .. :D way to go, for if not explicitly condoning, at the very least giving the green light for dealer "market value adjustment"

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am surprised from talking to Ian I think Smith at the LA show that he his now asking for a 4K premium. He told me that he wanted to build a long term client base by not alienating buyers with premium charges etc. Guess that sentiment didn't last long.

·
Registered
419 Posts
TheProton said:
I just can't bring myself to pay a dealer anything over MSRP, so I'll have to patient with #102.

I went by Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City, CA. a few days ago. The salesman alleged that they stopped taking orders at 32, what they expected to get in the first year. He also said they got 10k over MSRP for each one (!!). Anyone here put in an order from Boardwalk that can confirm this?

That makes for a 50k plus elise, ouch.

:eek:
My salesman says he talked to a dealership owner during thier orientation at Barber (I think a dealership in Cali somewhere, but can't remember the name) and that the owner said they are charging 10k over MSRP for every car, and getting it too. He is pretty straighforward guy so I don't think he was bs-ing me.

Glad I got MSRP in writing. Besides if they screw me I have ALOT of friends on the police departments around there :D and thier plates are NEVER legally displayed when they go on test drives.

-Jeff

·
Registered
485 Posts
Andreas said:
Yep, that is exactly what I'm paying at Palm Beach Motor cars.

I wouldn't pay any more.

OT: What spot to do you have at Palm Beach? I'm #24, with Nov-Dec delivery. :(

did the dealership give you that estimated delivery date? reason i ask is cause i have a deposit there also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Espirit,

Happy to be in the low 40s.

I have my $1000 depo with the SLO dealership.
When I put the depo down they said I would not pay $3000 over MSRP. I did not think that was such a big deal at the time considering the hype to get on a wait list and the fact that there wont be too many around. Also, the folks at SLO have been courteous everytime I call.

I was considering getting a Nissan Z, before I was alerted about the Elise. I'm glad I changed my mind - I see at least 6 of them a day on my commute.

IMO, I though it was a good thing to have a cap over MSRP.

Also, I live in the south bay area and turned to the SLO dealership after finding out about Redwood City's cap on orders and Los Gatos extremely long wait list.

Get this - I called Los Gatos yesterday to find out when their demo was going to be in because I was considering getting on the wait list.
Joe answered that they will get one in May/June and asserted that I should get on the wait list (for 2006) now because the Elise will be more expensive now then in 2006. How ridiculous is his later comment.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts