cars per mth beginning in Aug.. He also
states that ALL dealers will be getting
equal monthly allotments and that means
5 cars per dealer per month. Since Valenti
Mtrs. has orders totaling in the 'low' 30's,
they are projecting 12/04 for orders received now........with $1,000 over MSRP
being the price. It is quite possible that
other (larger) dealers are holding at the
'only' MSRP but I don't see someone being able to get a 12/04 delivery from them. The choice is yours but a 2.5% fee
for a car that you would receive much sooner than somewhere else doesn't
seem (to me) to be exorbitant behavior
on the part of the dealer.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not buying it. Lotus will be stupid to not have a bigger allocation to the big states with more drivers, like California and Florida, and to those dealers that sell most Esprits (probably also in California and Florida).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good going Ridge, based on your emails from yesterday, I called up the CT dealership today to place an order. I swear they said MSRP, but now it seems like it is MSRP +1000. I need to call them back to get my money.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Begining in August???Do you mean they will not get up to that production rate until August ? - from what we have heard from Lotus at the LA show, production is supposed to start in May:confused:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The day that Florida and Ca. gets a much larger allocation is 'way down the line' my
friend. Interviews with Lotus execs substantiate what Reudgen @ Valenti
states.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
The day that Florida and Ca. gets a much larger allocation is 'way down the line' my
friend. Interviews with Lotus execs substantiate what Reudgen @ Valenti
states.

Either that, or we are going to see a bunch of new dealers in California. Follow the money and I say more will be coming in from California than Connecticut.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ivan1 said:
Begining in August???Do you mean they will not get up to that production rate until August ? - from what we have heard from Lotus at the LA show, production is supposed to start in May:confused:
the 'late May/Early June' allocation will
amount to 9 cars + 1 car for dealer. in essence that is a two months supply.
Next would come the 'late July/early Aug.'
allocation of 10 cars...and so on and so on. It is posssible that lotus will squeeze in another allocation in between the two
labove listed time periods but that is
really the only 'added possibility' of more cars. -ridgemanron-

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
agent.5 said:
Not buying it. Lotus will be stupid to not have a bigger allocation to the big states with more drivers, like California and Florida, and to those dealers that sell most Esprits (probably also in California and Florida).
I'm with you. Unless Lotus finalized and announced their allocation scheme between yesterday and today, the dealer is just speculating along with the rest of us and telling you something that sounds logical and won't upset you, but has no basis in fact. It may turn out that each dealer receives an equal allocation, but from what I've been told that is extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't see any "light at end of tunnel".
Yes anyone that can hold out and not "bite the over msrp trap" is a true enthusiast, imo.
Human nature, jungle, being what it is, and the possible extended wait, give me little hope for civilized behavior however.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On Jan 9 Valenti sent in 9 specific car orders. Tell me any dealer...anywhere...
that was able to order more for the
'Late May/Early June' arrival? That, in itself, should tell you that all dealers are
being treated equal. Common sense, you
are only drawing from an annual total of
between 2,000 and 2,400 cars. Doing it
your way, Lotus might as well close up shop at the majority of their dealers.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember a Lotus exec saying that
" 3 cars per year" is what (supposedly)
top dealers had been selling with regard
to the Esprit. That would really impress
me about Ca. & Fla. being the super-sellers if I was on the Lotus board.
Real impressive figures, hah? The song,
'California Dreaming' says it best.

·
Registered
284 Posts
At the LA show Arnie told me that they might just allocate 30 to all dealers. This sounds like to be true if Lotus decide they will allocate 5 car per month begin in June till Dec 2004. So we might end up only getting 30 cars per dealer in year 2004.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
But 3 is still 300% of 1 and probably 600% of 0.5. So, why would a company not allocate more products and advertising resources to a regional market that is selling 6 times than the other market?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From 'August on' @ 5 cars per month, per dealer, that would sound close when you
figure in that in addition to that 25 car number, dealers will be receiving the 9 to 10 that are due in Late May/Early June.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
agent.5 said:
But 3 is still 300% of 1 and probably 600% of 0.5. So, why would a company not allocate more products and advertising resources to a regional market that is selling 6 times than the other market?
No company in their right mind would base anything off the figures you mention. They are looking to have cars
all around the country so that the media
in all those areas, as well as the general public, will see that they are selling nationally.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
California is Mercedes, BMW and Porches largest markets to name a few. I would guess that Lotus is aware of such a statistic. As such, I would also expect the Lotus dealers here in CA to get more of an allotment. Still, I say that it's too early to estimate and guess. The dealers, I'm sure, are in just as much darkness as we are.

If what you say is true about the 5 cars per month for each dealer, then I would be absolutely surprised. I would possibly hold out and switch to a new lotus dealer if I were so far down the list. At #51, I can't say that I'm happy about waiting until March '05 when I would expect to have it by December '04.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
No company in their right mind would base anything off the figures you mention. They are looking to have cars
all around the country so that the media
in all those areas, as well as the general public, will see that they are selling nationally.
Are you nut? "No company" will determine their sales strategy based upon the number of potential buyers within each area? Try to ship all your new Lotus to the snow belt during January and see how they will be selling compare to those area that is actually not snowing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
agent.5 said:
Are you nut? "No company" will determine their sales strategy based upon the number of potential buyers within each area? Try to ship all your new Lotus to the snow belt during January and see how they will be selling compare to those area that is actually not snowing.
I am not sure where you get your figures from. My dealership, probably one of the most successful in the country, has sold 9 new Esprits this year alone. How could you possibly think for one second that a dealer that produces next to nothing for Lotus would be allotted the same amount of cars? That is ludicrous at best. It seems like everyone has their own opinion of what is going to happen, what should or should not happen. On top of that, it seems that some dealers are getting better information than I am. I have heard nothing of the sort from anyone at Lotus as of yet. I think until Lotus starts sending cars, you need to remember that this is purely speculation. One more thing, how could someone say that another person is not a true "enthusiast" if they pay over sticker for a car? I would think that the person who paid over and kept the car would be just as much an enthusiast as another, if not more so as they show their individual fervor and angst by paying up to get one as quickly as possible to start the enjoyment as soon as possible. I am not saying it is right or that it is wrong, but please keep those comments down as the person who is paying up might just be as much an "enthusiast" as anyone else claims to be and you might be making them feel bad for satisfying their god given right to chase something they love.
Lets just leave it at this, everyone is entitled to their opinion; from the person posting on this forum, to the guy paying over sticker, to the dealer that is hoping and speculating that the market is majically going to be the same for everyone at every dealer. The last of which makes absolutely zero sense. Do you think that every Lamborghini Dealer gets the same allotment of Gallardo's? I will tell you this for a fact, they do not. I get less than Lamborghini of Dallas because they have a larger market share and because they have a better financial demographic. That is what car makers base things off of whether you like it or not. And unfortunately, allotment in smaller areas will probably be less than in bigger areas.

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lets hope that Lotus is not shipping the same # of cars to any dealer wherever they are located. If so, then we can assume that they don't have the first clue about business and will go under soon leaving everyone with no parts and no service!

Sorry to be so cynical, but I wonder how people come up with these notions of "fair business" and have lived in the US for most of their adult lives.

On a more serious note, I too talked to Arnie at the LA show last Friday and he said specifically that they did not yet know about the allocations, but that it would be some mix of overall market opportunity and how well the dealers have taken care of them over the years on the Esprit--this is precisely what they should be doing if they have any marketing sense whatsoever.

I suppose it is possible that they are doing the same for the first 10 cars or something like that, but certainly this strategy of equal cars for each dealer would make no sense over the longer term.

My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.