The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well that sucks. This design is too damn cool to die. Someone needs to resurrect it!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did Highline get back to you RE: your hatch? :wave:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
They just PM'd me. Hopefully they are willing/able to make a clone of this hatch...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I know it's early days but having tried to organize a group buy on carbon parts on this forum in the past, I know preliminary price points and volume will determine how much real interest there ends up being for this.

So for those who are interested, how much are you willing to pay for a hatch like this? Given that the original costs $5k USD (although the Yen has weakened recently), would people be willing to pay 1500? 2000? 2500?

For me, I would pay up to $2k max...and that largely depends on timing/quality of end product

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would gladly pay $2000 and not even blink if it ends up being a quality piece that matches what MT-Draco did.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I have tons of CF hatch, if you like.

To stay this project, please read thsi:
1. 3D scanner or original CAD file of the hatch, need this to make mold for the new hatch frame and the clear doom.
2. Or hand craft the Hatch frame by mod the OEM piece, or from aftermarket CF hatch (which I have).
3. Find a Vacc Form machine that can suck polycarbonate in 2-5mm thickness.
4. Find a big oven that can heat up slowly to 375F, for pre-dry and soften the polycarbonate.
5. Find a laser cutter for all the holes on the clear doom.

If I am correct, this will work, and then we can move on to clear hard top :) hahaha.

Any newer idea?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Nice. That hatch looks like a good starting point. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Found a large format vac factory.

So once the clear top is vac formed, water cut or laser cut will be the best of those holes? Water or Laser?

Need to found those factory again :(

41 - 60 of 226 Posts