The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wanted to show off one of my latest little projects. I was thinking about building a complete exhaust system and header, but I decided the stock header was nice enough, and as this is still a street car some of the time I didn't want to get rid of the cat. So I decided the muffler was the real weight/space issue, and I welded up a simple stainless replacement pipe. Exits the same place as stock, weighs about a pound, looks way better than a nasty rear panel eliminator, and sounds great. Total cost was about $40.

It is a little loud at low RPM, but not bad enough to bother me, and it is totally amazing above the cam switch over point. Took it to the track a couple of weeks ago and had a whole bunch of people tell me it sounded awesome too. Not sure if there is a power gain, probably 2 or 3 hp but not enough to matter much. Still IMO the car now sounds like it looks instead of disappointing Toyota sound when you start it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys I don't have a video camera. Next time I go for a drive I will try with my phone, not sure if it takes good video or not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok, here is a crappy video:

Also, I used a sound meter app on my phone, which recorded the following:

-At idle, standing right behind the car, it was 85db.
-At 70mph in 6th, it was 87db (soft top on, windows up)
-At 35mph in 5th, 82db (going thru town) (soft top on, windows down)
-at 80mph in 6th, going up a fairly steady grade on the interstate, it got up to 94db. (windows up)
-at 30mph in 4th, going up a steep hill (~30* incline), which is the loudest place on my way to work, it was about 90db. (windows down)

I didnt measure how loud it was at WOT, but you can get an idea from the video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts