The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am doing some research before I buy a lotus. The seller says, he has replaced the rear clam shell, and the title says the frame was bent. He claims that only the muffler hanger was bent............... Does this sound right? Is $26,000 too much for a fixed 2005 lotus with a salvage title. It has close to 60k miles on it? Car is in Maryland. Anyone know of a shop that could do a pre inspection of the car?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
What he's probably referring to are the tabs at the rear subframe. Some of them are a bolted-on piece, but most of it is directly part of the sub frame. Because it is technically a part of the frame, this can be the case. It is a little annoying since they don't straighten easily, but I've been living with it just fine for 8 years almost.

All that is assuming we are both thinking of the same thing. Pictures of the chassis are critical, as is an alignment at the very least. Even better than an alignment is to use the chassis straightness check holes, but most shops will just say the alignment is sufficient.

Given the car's history, the onus is on the seller to prove to you why it is okay. If they don't want to provide all the documentation supporting the claim the car is fine, then assume it isn't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts