The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2005 Elise which is mostly stock, no fancy upgrades. I have a decat pipe with a Lotus Stage 2 muffler (built by Janspeed). I really love the sound of it, but after a couple track days the muffler is completely blown out, and the drone is absolutely unbearable. Does anyone have any suggestions for a muffler that will hold up to track days, exits through the diffuser (I don't like the look of the rear panel exit ones) that does not drone so badly? I am going to try putting my catalytic converter back in since I understand it doesn't really gain me anything having it out. It sounds AWESOME but performance wise, it is sort of a wash. I put a coat of second skin damplifyer on the doors, firewall, floors, etc. It helped the road noise, injector clicking, clutch rattle, etc. But the drone is SO BAD it was basically a waste of time :( I don't even care how loud the exhaust is, I just can't handle the drone.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

·
Registered
405 Posts
I run the stock cat with no muffler at all, just straight piped out the opening in the diffuser. I love the sound, and it is less drone-y than a cheap (or blown out) muffler. Also works well with the "add lightness" philosophy.

·
2006 Exige
672 Posts
If you are going to be tracking your car, I think the repackable Silent Touch would be the best choice so you don't end up with another dead muffler.

Otherwise, the suggestion of the cat with no muffler would work as well if you don't care about the volume too much.

Either one of those options can be had/made with a through diffuser exit.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the dual Larini exhaust. No drone! I love it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you are going to be tracking your car, I think the repackable Silent Touch would be the best choice so you don't end up with another dead muffler....
Does anyone have any ideas where to source a rebuidable muffler? I've been casually looking every once in a while for one, but I haven't stumbled upon it yet.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm also thinking about another exhaust. Any opinions on the topspeed pro1? I've read some old threads, and everyone seemed to really like it, but I haven't heard much about it lately. Based on my searches, the build quality and sound is great, with no drone. And, the price is now very cheap ($225+25 shipping for me)... it used to be much more when it was first introduced. What do you guys think?

http://www.topspeedauto.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=741

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run the stock cat with no muffler at all, just straight piped out the opening in the diffuser. I love the sound, and it is less drone-y than a cheap (or blown out) muffler. Also works well with the "add lightness" philosophy.
I am looking to do this also. Did you fabricate a pipe to exit out of the diffuser or does one exist on the market?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Monkeyking - My car has the Topspeed and it sounds great, mean at higher rpms (on cam), pops and burbles when driven aggressively but fairly quiet when driving in stealth mode. It does have some drone at 75-80 on the highway however. I also have the HKS RSR intake so it's a little hard to evaluate just the exhaust sound in isolation. At that price I say go for it. I'm tempted to buy a spare one myself!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went with the the Larini Club Sport, with dual slashed tips to stay close to the OEM look.
I bought it from Sector111. The dual tips is not listed but it's an available option from Larini. Custom order.

it's a straight through design, ready to take the heat from a superchargered engine.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
If you track much with a SC'd engine, the muffler life is about 1 season... There's a reason many of us moved to rebuildable mufflers many years ago...

...just say'n... :)

-Phil

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh don't worry, I'll have you install a Rev300 and a QS exhaust before I burn the Larini :p

Probably a summer 2015 project, a drive from Montreal to Kansas :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts