The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got back from an hour of tooling around in my Elise after installing my Multivex mirrors (arrived today).

The installation could not be easier. Just peel the backing off the adhesive strips and stick'em on! They are labeled so you can't screw up by putting them on backwards / upside down.

Driving in some traffic helped me to "test them out." They are definitely different than your typical convex mirror. The curvature is progressive. I did not have any trouble adjusting, though. (Bear in mind, as a dentist, I work using a mirror all day, every day.)

What I like about them is the confidence they inspire. With the stock mirrors, I was a "hinge-head." I couldn't help turning my head to look over my shoulders when changing lanes. I just didn't trust what I was seeing in the stock mirrors. With the Multivex mirrors, I know there is nobody there when I change lanes.

They are front-surface mirrors, so there's no ghosting. The image is crystal-clear.

The instructions advise you NOT to stare at the mirror, but rather just glance. This is especially true on the driver's side mirror. If you do, you'll get confusing double-vision. The progressive convexity does strange things when you stare into it. And, of course, you're better off focusing on the road ahead! :)

This is a neat and inexpensive mod that has a great return on investment. It definitely enhances the driving experience. And, they don't weigh much! :nanner:

That's it! I'm very happy I got these mirrors.

Mike

edit to add this contact info-(randyc)
Once again, our site is www.safetymirrorsonline.com (per the suggestion below) and be sure that your loyalty and business is greatly appreciated. If anyone has any questions or needs help of any kind, please feel free to e-mail me at anytime at [email protected] in case I am on the road again soon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's awesome! Mine should arrive on Monday, I was in the first batch as well. I thought you had to use silicone because the adhesive backing was too thick? Do they stick out of the housing? I'll post some pics before and after when I get mine.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
cranium said:
I thought you had to use silicone because the adhesive backing was too thick? Do they stick out of the housing?
I just did a test fit on mine, and with the foam backing, the mirrors do indeed protrude beyond the housing - by about the thickness of the housing. I'm getting some black silicone to mount mine after I peel off the foam tape. Hopefully I'll get to this tomorrow and take some pictures...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
TimMullen said:
I just did a test fit on mine, and with the foam backing, the mirrors do indeed protrude beyond the housing - by about the thickness of the housing. I'm getting some black silicone to mount mine after I peel off the foam tape. Hopefully I'll get to this tomorrow and take some pictures...
Please take your pictures from multiple angles so we can see how it protrudes from top and side, as well as how the image looks when looking in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes... they do protrude. But, it doesn't bother me. I think they'll protrude either way. I think the enhanced vision is worth the trade off.

I'll run out and take some pics. Back later!

Mike

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww... geez! OK... be right back! :)

Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks! You know could take 10,000 photos of something and someone will ask for more, its just the way it is :sheep:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK... here ya go... from inside the car.

Notice the close-up of the driver's side mirror. The reflection is the inside of my garage door. The grid of the metal framework perfectly demonstrates the progressive convexity of the mirror.

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
TimMullen said:
I'm getting some black silicone to mount mine after I peel off the foam tape. Hopefully I'll get to this tomorrow and take some pictures...

Tim: A suggestion from Bob Mccord is to not silicone the bottom of the mirror...just the top and sides....to let moisture out !!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pinmagic said:
Great! Now remove it, and take a pic of the original, so we can compare. :D
For that, you can go look at your own car! :sheep:

Mike

·
Registered
496 Posts
fastwrx said:
OK... here ya go... from inside the car.

Notice the close-up of the driver's side mirror. The reflection is the inside of my garage door. The grid of the metal framework perfectly demonstrates the progressive convexity of the mirror.
You have nicer furniture in your garage than I have in my living room.

BTW great pics. I like the mirrors.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Here's the back of the mirrors. I removed the foam tape...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I applied some black silicone:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The regular mirror and the new one held above it (sorry my hands in the way). I was sitting in the driver's seat taking the picture. Our white Accord was parked to the side and to the rear of the Elise. The mirror could obviously be positioned outward to start the view at the same place on the right, and show even more on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Passenger side OEM mirror:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
New mirror on the right side ((a bit out of focus - camera focused on the mirror housing instead of the mirror). Again, the mirror could be positioned outward more to show more on the right side and still showing the same on the left side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 303 Posts