The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just had the multivex mirrors put on my 240 and I have a question for those who have them too. I bought both LH and RH and what I notice is that the reflective quality of the RH side is not exactly the same as the LH side. Meaning the LH side is much clearer and more accurate. The RH side show a slightly more distorted view. The RH side works well but I was expecting a much crisper view, similar to my work trucks.
Anyhow, I'm no stranger to convex mirrors and I thought that it should have been crisper or does it sound like I got a bad RH mirror.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The RH mirror is more convex than the left...or vice versa. It is also more convex than the stock RH mirror, otherwise you'd only need to buy the LH.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so it's normal then. Man it really changes the dynamics for backing up. I guess it will take some getting used to.

Thanks.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
It'll take a week or two of steady driving to get used to them....but once you are...you won't know what you did without them.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
It is a convex shaped mirror, hence the inscription:"objects in mirror are closer than they appear".TADTS
There's no writing on the multivex mirrors. ( unless you were lucky enough to get a set of my lettering ! )

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
There's no writing on the multivex mirrors. ( unless you were lucky enough to get a set of my lettering ! )
There is writing...it just doesn't say anything about the objects...rotfl

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I have recieved a set in this week. I found the quality is terrible, the reflection is not smooth at all. More like a home made job by baking it in the hot oven and silver plate them.:mad:

The edge is so rough you can use it as a saw.:(

It's not worth it to return them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have recieved a set in this week. I found the quality is terrible, the reflection is not smooth at all. More like a home made job by baking it in the hot oven and silver plate them.:mad:

The edge is so rough you can use it as a saw.:(

It's not worth it to return them.
I sanded the edges and painted them black. I also took the 2 way tape off and used silicone to glue them on. They now sit deeper in the housing. Looks almost OE.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am in the process of installing mutlivex mirrrors. Or at least the right hand one, since my clumsyness caused my to DROP the LH one! Doh!

I didn't like the way the RH one stuck out with the sticky tape, so I am siliconing it in place. I'll find some black caulk to bead around it as well for a finished appearance.

I needed the right mirror wide view more than the left anyway, so no biggie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe the reason rh doesn't say objects are closer than they appear is because the rh is more convex to give broader range and does not magnify. Hence the ability to see into your blind spot. I put these on about 500 miles ago and they are weird! However when you get used to them they are awesome. Practice watching cars to your right and left passing you from behind to get a feel for the range. Then drop the hammer and enjoy!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I believe the reason rh doesn't say objects are closer than they appear is because the rh is more convex to give broader range and does not magnify. Hence the ability to see into your blind spot.
No mirror that says "Objects are closer than they appear" magnifies the image. It says that because it does the opposite. It fits more viewing angle into the same space by shrinking the image.

The reason Multivex mirrors don't have the text is because they're an inexpensive little aftermarket manufacturer.

It's a friggin fantastic product.

xtn

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am more than happy to give them away to anyone that want it, provided that they pay for the shipping.
how much shipped to 79707 Midland, TX USA?

I"m curious if it'd be cheaper than buying them new....never know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
XTN. You are certainly right. It was late and I got it backwards. :eek: Would you not agree that the rh mirror does not de-magnify? The images do not seem to be closer than they appear. In any case I agree as I said that they are awesome.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
XTN. You are certainly right. It was late and I got it backwards. :eek: Would you not agree that the rh mirror does not de-magnify? The images do not seem to be closer than they appear. In any case I agree as I said that they are awesome.
No I do not agree. My Multivex mirrors appear to have the same amount of image shrinkage left and right. If there is any difference it's small enough that I don't notice.

xtn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts