The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Murphy's Law aarrgghh

995 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  oldmansan 
#1 ·
I ordered V2 steering arms and they should be here tomorrow after removing shims last week and finding the camber settings not where I hoped. So today I figured I would prep by getting one side off and ready to go when snap went the bolt. Trying to find a 10.9 replacement locally is like trying to buy the winning lottery ticket. Parts are on order but the always daunting task of frozen bolt removal I will leave to the morning when I'm not so damn pissed.

See less See more
#2 ·
If it makes you feel better, I would consider this a blessing in disguise! The bolt was most likely already compromised so changing it out is probably a good thing.

Also I would recommend changing out all 4 bolts (the two for each front corner) while you are there. This cost to change them all out before alignment is nothing compared to if you should have a failure to your bolts when driving.

just looking at is with a glass half full compared to half empty. ?

#3 ·
Nobuyasu you may be right on the blessing and yes I ordered all four corners when I found I couldn't obtain locally and will also order a backup set for my spares. Time will be tight on getting parts here before my alignment and corner balance appointment. Fun begins in am with the bolt. I had good luck last year on a Volvo Penta broken bolt so I'm hoping my luck holds out.

#6 ·
Weird that your bearing carriers look soo much better than mine did but even after 15 years mine extracted easily. But good to replace all. I am always amarrased a bit by the surface rust but when I say I am going to coat it I get lazy. Spray with PB blaster or similar to make removal of old one easier. I also spray brake cleaner on raw parts before new installation to clean any grease or solvent. Good luck with process. Easier than star shield removal by far:)
Tommy

Reactions: Robocop305
#8 ·
I just had old ones out last week that's the strange thing and didn't overdo the locktite. I feel like a dummy with Mcmaster I googled size and grade and they had nothing but once I went to the actual site I do see that they have in 12.9 grade. What considerations should I be concerned with going to a higher rating? Seems I read something about higher rating but prone to shock failure or some other consideration. I see that you have to order higher quantities but that's ok. I was worried and just shot off order to Don at Lotus to make sure I had in hand early in the week.

#11 ·
Reactions: SS Lotus Elise
#12 ·
Update getting the bolt remains out was a breeze since there were three threads left so after heating it came right out with vice grips. Chased all the holes and ran all bolts thru a die and just cleaned everything up well and then got stuck for hours on one damn ball joint. Five came right off with a borrowed fork and a five lb hammer but that last one kicked my ass. It's off and I'll replace the ball joint tomorrow. New OEM bolts will be here Monday. BTW I read that the potential problem with the 12.9 grade cap screws is brittleness and being on the suspension I feel better going OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.