The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered V2 steering arms and they should be here tomorrow after removing shims last week and finding the camber settings not where I hoped. So today I figured I would prep by getting one side off and ready to go when snap went the bolt. Trying to find a 10.9 replacement locally is like trying to buy the winning lottery ticket. Parts are on order but the always daunting task of frozen bolt removal I will leave to the morning when I'm not so damn pissed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I would consider this a blessing in disguise! The bolt was most likely already compromised so changing it out is probably a good thing.

Also I would recommend changing out all 4 bolts (the two for each front corner) while you are there. This cost to change them all out before alignment is nothing compared to if you should have a failure to your bolts when driving.

just looking at is with a glass half full compared to half empty. ?

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobuyasu you may be right on the blessing and yes I ordered all four corners when I found I couldn't obtain locally and will also order a backup set for my spares. Time will be tight on getting parts here before my alignment and corner balance appointment. Fun begins in am with the bolt. I had good luck last year on a Volvo Penta broken bolt so I'm hoping my luck holds out.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Weird that your bearing carriers look soo much better than mine did but even after 15 years mine extracted easily. But good to replace all. I am always amarrased a bit by the surface rust but when I say I am going to coat it I get lazy. Spray with PB blaster or similar to make removal of old one easier. I also spray brake cleaner on raw parts before new installation to clean any grease or solvent. Good luck with process. Easier than star shield removal by far:)
Tommy

Reactions: Robocop305

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
i was thinking similar to others, would much rather find a failure while wrenching than while driving

Reactions: chester

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had old ones out last week that's the strange thing and didn't overdo the locktite. I feel like a dummy with Mcmaster I googled size and grade and they had nothing but once I went to the actual site I do see that they have in 12.9 grade. What considerations should I be concerned with going to a higher rating? Seems I read something about higher rating but prone to shock failure or some other consideration. I see that you have to order higher quantities but that's ok. I was worried and just shot off order to Don at Lotus to make sure I had in hand early in the week.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Does someone want to be nice and give the specifications for these bolts? I am going to be doing the v2 arm and want to take the advice of replacing the bolts at the same time.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: SS Lotus Elise

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update getting the bolt remains out was a breeze since there were three threads left so after heating it came right out with vice grips. Chased all the holes and ran all bolts thru a die and just cleaned everything up well and then got stuck for hours on one damn ball joint. Five came right off with a borrowed fork and a five lb hammer but that last one kicked my ass. It's off and I'll replace the ball joint tomorrow. New OEM bolts will be here Monday. BTW I read that the potential problem with the 12.9 grade cap screws is brittleness and being on the suspension I feel better going OEM.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Update getting the bolt remains out was a breeze since there were three threads left so after heating it came right out with vice grips. Chased all the holes and ran all bolts thru a die and just cleaned everything up well and then got stuck for hours on one damn ball joint. Five came right off with a borrowed fork and a five lb hammer but that last one kicked my ass. It's off and I'll replace the ball joint tomorrow. New OEM bolts will be here Monday. BTW I read that the potential problem with the 12.9 grade cap screws is brittleness and being on the suspension I feel better going OEM.
The difference in a 10.9 and 12.9 bolt isn't going to be an issue. Likely the OEM bolts were used to provide a very high quality part while saving a few bucks.

San

1 - 13 of 13 Posts