The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently stocking up items to complete a major overhaul of the stock Elise sound system....once it returns from the dealer where it's been for two months.

Regarding subwoofer installation options...in my research I've only seen two:

chuck risen behind the seat beauty (aka. 'the deafener')
---or---
the jl audio footwell eye sore.

I'm omitting behind the seat subs, since my seat is always in the rear-most position.

The obvious omission here would be the most traditional: in the trunk. Seems like someone would have fabricated a sub to go on the the side opposite the battery. Any thoughts???

I'm wondering essentially why this hasn't been suggested/tried. Sound transfer issues? Space requirements?

I'm considering exploring this route to round out the bottom end.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
945 Posts
The trunk is completely separated from the cabin by a window and firewall, not to mention the engine. It'd be like putting a subwoofer in the bed of a pickup truck, or hanging off the back of your car. I don't think the sound would transfer very well if at all.

I strongly suspect you could build a behind-the-seat sub that doesn't affect your ability to slide back if you use a 10" and shift the box design over towards the passenger's side a little bit. A 12" shallow mount might work too if you mounted it all the way towards the passenger's seat and compromised on the box shape/depth a bit.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm currently stocking up items to complete a major overhaul of the stock Elise sound system....once it returns from the dealer where it's been for two months.

Regarding subwoofer installation options...in my research I've only seen two:

chuck risen behind the seat beauty (aka. 'the deafener')
---or---
the jl audio footwell eye sore.

I'm omitting behind the seat subs, since my seat is always in the rear-most position.

The obvious omission here would be the most traditional: in the trunk. Seems like someone would have fabricated a sub to go on the the side opposite the battery. Any thoughts???

I'm wondering essentially why this hasn't been suggested/tried. Sound transfer issues? Space requirements?

I'm considering exploring this route to round out the bottom end.

Let me know what you guys think!

Sound transfer issues. You've got an engine, then firewall, and if touring a bunch of sound deadening in between. If the goal is to wake the neighbor's you'd be fine, if you want quality audio, not so much.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The trunk is completely separated from the cabin by a window and firewall, not to mention the engine. It'd be like putting a subwoofer in the bed of a pickup truck, or hanging off the back of your car. I don't think the sound would transfer very well if at all.

I strongly suspect you could build a behind-the-seat sub that doesn't affect your ability to slide back if you use a 10" and shift the box design over towards the passenger's side a little bit. A 12" shallow mount might work too if you mounted it all the way towards the passenger's seat and compromised on the box shape/depth a bit.
Beat me to it :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Let me add a 3rd option - powered sub behind seat.

I had a Stealthbox in my prior Elise and the obligatory Alpine PDX5 powering it (behind the seats). Great sounding set up, but I didnt want to sacrifice the footwell (wife's purse, etc).

I would up installed a powered sub behind the driver seat. Mine is all the way back and still fits great. Some guys do the Kenwood. I went with the Crutchfield house brand 'Sound Ordnance' B8P something or other. Installed it myself (easy). Sounds great and just the right amount of bottom. Honestly, not as present as the Stealthbox, but does the job very nicely for our cars.

Did the install myself and all the same time added - 6.5" JL rears, 5.25" JL fronts (with Clayton rings) and the sub. For $150 for the sub, can't go wrong.

Oh, and I also added the Alpine KTP amp booster behind my head unit. Does wonders!

Lastly, I added a new head unit. Alpine BT something or other (was like $125) and offers bluetooth phone and more importantly, bluetooth audio streaming. GREAT head unit and cheap. I'm addicted to bluetooth audio streaming.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To the OP, go with footwell. I had one there, and it was loud as a cannon. Just amazing bass from a little 8" Kenwood competition sub. I used the stock Alpine speakers and it sounded like a million bucks. The secret to going from terrible stock radio to pretty good (but not OMG amazing) is bass. The speakers will handle the mids and highs, let the sub handle the rest.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you decide that sacrificing about 1.5" of driver's side seat slideback is OK I have a 12" Pioneer Premier shallow-mount in a surprisingly well done box which mounts to the bulkhead/firewall panel. Got it with my car, sounds awesome and really cool but decided audio in the Lotus really isn't my thing.

Attached a picture of the car with the sub box in it. When I got my car it was just mounted sort of willy-nilly to the bulkhead panel but could be installed more elegantly.

If you're dead set on not losing any seat slideback (honestly the right choice IMO) you could probably use this idea for inspiration and put a 10" shallow-mount in a more central position without as much trim, and size the box accordingly. Amps were kept in the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a chuck risen behind the seat box, it looks beautiful but the sub is really weak (jl8w1) and after awhile the plastic now rattles. His work is beautiful, but note. I liked my music loud so in return now I have to go tighten up all of my screws/BolTS again.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Why not try this?

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I just don't see much point in going for great sound in that cabin. I hope it works out ok for you. I mean I put better speakers and head unit in our Elise at first and liked it pretty well at times, but you have acoustics similar to a small railroad box car with a lot of air noise next to a loud motor. Eventually it was all removed and louder stuff put everywhere :/

An Evora offers a decent sound environment as well as many other such civilized features.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
JL makes 6.5" inch subs i believe that will fit in the stock rear speaker holes. It's what i have,and works pretty well imo, but i have a recording studio if i really need fidelity. The best music in the Elise is the supercharger playing a tune thru the exhaust. I mean to me, music in the Miata was hard to justify, in the Elise...harder to justify. I have a "good sounding" stereo in my truck though..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts