The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
The title of this thread had me worried... figured it was a Mustang fan swatting the hive... I was relieved to find that I was wrong.

Thomas

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Wishful thinking unfortunately. The US Elise will not have the power/weight ratio of the Elise in the article. Note: The Sun Power Elise is 192 "rwhp" at 1629 lbs. I don't know how much drive-chain losses their will be with the new Lotus Elise/Toyota setup, but considering the usual, I would say the 190hp US Elise will be roughly 160 "rwhp" at 1850lbs. I doubt it will be able to even break into the high 12's in the 1/4 mile. This will be a low, to mid, 13 second car. Thats almost a full second slower in the 1/4 mile, which by the way is a substantial difference. Boy, mid 12's! That would have been awesome!! :mad:

RWHP Power/Weight Ratio
Sun Elise 8.48
US Elise 11.56

My Turbo Miata 8.88 (High 12's)

Looks Like I just bought a Lotus to go slower, lol (well at least in a straight line ;)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
In addition to the fact that the Sun Elise has a higher power to wieght ratio than the federal Elise, that particular engine was modified by Spoon - it has some head work and a more aggresive cam if I remeber correctly. Those details were "overlooked" in the artcile.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
With some engine mods and a moderate weight-loss diet, that kind of performance should be attainable out of the federal S2.
1850lb is in the ballpark, as is 190 rwHP. Nothing a couple of thousand bucks shouldn't be able to fix! :rolleyes:

Thomas

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the 190 hp engine will only put 160 to the rear wheels, How many hp are going to the rear wheels with the 156 rover engine?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're happy with the $15-$20K cost, there are a couple of compaines out there who will fit the 2.0L K20A engine from the new acura integra to the elise (currently this is only the S1 elise but I kno there's development of the S2 version) - with a few mods the engines are supposed to put out over 250bhp - the car only weighs about 30Kg more after fitment versus the rover engine.

It povides the car with the ability to do 0-100mph in about 8.5 seconds. Power to weight is in the 300bhp/tonne region.

Hmmmm... Time to phone the bank manager!

Craigy

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
A mid-engined car will have a lot less drivetrain loss than a front-engined (rear wheel drive) car. I would estimate about half.

This is part of why the MR2 Spyder's dyno numbers are closer to the manufacturer's specs than the Miata's, even though the specs are almost identical.

I would guess that the Elise would put closer to 170-175HP to the wheels if it has 190HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I thought the same thing and was proven wrong after dyno-testing my car. The shop where I did it does a lot of work on turbo MR2's so they have good idea where stock numbers should be. Mine topped at 167RWHP (STD correction) - 17% loss from 200HP at the engine.

John Stimson said:
A mid-engined car will have a lot less drivetrain loss than a front-engined (rear wheel drive) car. I would estimate about half.
I would guess that the Elise would put closer to 170-175HP to the wheels if it has 190HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
That type of loss is typical for the MkII MR2. So mid-engine in of itself doesn't mean low loss. Alex, welcome to the lighter side, I'm turbo2 on the MR2 board.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Keep in mind, troops, that wasn't a SVT Mustang, it was a Cobra R, which was an ultra-rare track car that just happened to be street legal. The new, supercharged, iron-block cobras are faster in a straightline, but are even more nose heavy, understeering pigs.

I'd pay twice as much for an Elise rather than buy a Mustang of any flavor. :eek:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah. Also it depends much on the gear (mine was in 3d).
Thanks Larry. Are you in Bay Area as well?

LarryB said:
That type of loss is typical for the MkII MR2. So mid-engine in of itself doesn't mean low loss. Alex, welcome to the lighter side, I'm turbo2 on the MR2 board.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Alex, yeah, typically the '2 is dyno in 4th gear. Am in Sunnyvale, been waiting on the Elise since Feb, #11or so at Silicon Valley Bently (Los Gatos). Are you still in the info gather stage?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I wonder if we met at MR2 events before.
I did put a deposit past Saturday (#50 or so)
at the same place. The sales (Joe) said thed'd
get 75 cars per year.

LarryB said:
Alex, yeah, typically the '2 is dyno in 4th gear. Am in Sunnyvale, been waiting on the Elise since Feb, #11or so at Silicon Valley Bently (Los Gatos). Are you still in the info gather stage?

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a former owner of a '98 Cobra Convertible, I couldn't resist this post.

Very nice article - American muscle meets British finesse. It highlighted the differences in the cars very nicely, and has given me a better idea of what to expect. The only thing not mentioned in the comparison was gas mileage. The Cobra gets 19-20, and it looks like the Elise should get 30+. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts