The Lotus Cars Community banner

321 - 334 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why isn't this swap more popular? What is stopping people from doing it? Besides the price, what else is there? MWR doesn't have the best track record, but they're the only ones who will go through with the swap. This thread is five years old now but 90% of the posts are from 2011 and before. What did I miss? How did the thread just die?

The V6 is the ultimate solution in terms of N/A performance and reliability and drive-to-the-track-ability, right? You have equal horsepower as the built K20/24 guys (or more if you decide to upgrade cams/valves/springs etc.), but you have tons more torque which gives the "feeling" of going faster. The power delivery feels better. And wouldn't a built k20/24 installed be around the 20k mark as well? Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me what I am missing.

I posted the questions above (back on page 16) as an effort to get MWR to chime in and provide some answers. I've read through this entire thread as well as this one and I haven't found answers to any of my questions.

But above all, thanks guys. I really appreciate the community here and just want to learn what happened with this thread. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The lack of communication on this conversion actually speaks volumes about it. Go with a battle tested solution like BOE or learn the hard way why people stay away.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
One issue for autox folks is the need to modify the trunk. Takes you straight to XP. Otherwise this would be Interesting for ssm. Toyota engine is SSM legal... k 20 is not. Once at XP power to weight is a solved problem... no weight formula problems there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why isn't this swap more popular? What is stopping people from doing it? Besides the price, what else is there? MWR doesn't have the best track record, but they're the only ones who will go through with the swap. This thread is five years old now but 90% of the posts are from 2011 and before. What did I miss? How did the thread just die?

The V6 is the ultimate solution in terms of N/A performance and reliability and drive-to-the-track-ability, right? You have equal horsepower as the built K20/24 guys (or more if you decide to upgrade cams/valves/springs etc.), but you have tons more torque which gives the "feeling" of going faster. The power delivery feels better. And wouldn't a built k20/24 installed be around the 20k mark as well? Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me what I am missing. :)
I think it's not as popular because of the lack of aftermarket performance parts. the k swaps aren't any less $$$:shrug: The V6 swap and a few major upgrades for track use cost me less than 20K

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i would search on the conversion. there have been only a few done and IMHO they have not turned out well.

you can get just a much HP out of 2ZZ and it has less weight

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The 2gr conversion is fantastic and fairly bolt on. Lotus made this conversion years ago on some test mules before the exige V6 came out.

There is MUCH more power to be made in a 2gr as you can get the NA motors in Evora's up to about 350with headers and a tune. Not to mention is sounds so much better and yields about 200 lbs more torque when tuned correctly.
There are new header options, better tuning and a cam coming out soon for even more power.
With a supercharger and inter cooler the power goes up tremendously.

My friends shop is working with someone right now to possibly install a 2gr and IPS tranny in an exige that I am selling. That would be sick.

Monkey wrench has done a fantastic job of breaking ground and building kits.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
We build these cars in-house and people are always very pleased with the results. The 2GR is a really solid engine and getting better as we develop the aftermarket for it.

It's an expensive swap and requires trunk modification which puts some people off. We stock the parts for the Honda K20/K24 swap and that had proven to be very popular since it's a much easier bolt-in job and the bottom line is about half the cost of a 2GR swap even if you choose to do a mild build for more power.

We are working on possibly bringing the 2GR swap cost down a bit and improve power potential with new engine management options but since most builds involve a new LSD trans and all builds need custom headers/exhaust, axles, mounts, wiring etc it'll never be cheap. The Honda swap uses more used parts and the Honda engine and trans have a more developed aftermarket.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We build these cars in-house and people are always very pleased with the results. The 2GR is a really solid engine and getting better as we develop the aftermarket for it.

It's an expensive swap and requires trunk modification which puts some people off. We stock the parts for the Honda K20/K24 swap and that had proven to be very popular since it's a much easier bolt-in job and the bottom line is about half the cost of a 2GR swap even if you choose to do a mild build for more power.

We are working on possibly bringing the 2GR swap cost down a bit and improve power potential with new engine management options but since most builds involve a new LSD trans and all builds need custom headers/exhaust, axles, mounts, wiring etc it'll never be cheap. The Honda swap uses more used parts and the Honda engine and trans have a more developed aftermarket.
Thanks for this response. I was wondering about this also.:clap:

·
craigyirush
1,534 Posts
What is the weight difference between the 3.5 engine and the 2ZZ? The first post says the converted car weighs less than a stock Elise, which implies that the bigger Toyota engine is lighter...

Didn't read all the way through, so apologies if this has been answered.

Also, if this is the same 3.5 that's in the Evora, couldn't you get 300 plus HP out of a base Evora? Which are getting cheaper...

·
Registered
32 Posts
A little nudge on this thread... what about a straight 6 rather a V6? Would they fit? has anyone played on this yet?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,054 Posts
What is the weight difference between the 3.5 engine and the 2ZZ? The first post says the converted car weighs less than a stock Elise, which implies that the bigger Toyota engine is lighter...

Didn't read all the way through, so apologies if this has been answered.

Also, if this is the same 3.5 that's in the Evora, couldn't you get 300 plus HP out of a base Evora? Which are getting cheaper...
You can, if you can digest the extra 1000 pounds. Apples to (pick your fruit here) IMHO.

San

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,054 Posts
A little nudge on this thread... what about a straight 6 rather a V6? Would they fit? has anyone played on this yet?
I would think the dimensions of a straight 6 would be disadvantageous, given the relatively small space available.

San

321 - 334 of 334 Posts