The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 140 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why would you even think this? If you're spending $20k to make loads of power, who cares about the $1k you'll waste or save in fuel? Your tire budget will far exceed your fuel budget.
Just curious, OP had mentioned that this motor is more fuel efficient than the 1.8 and that he would have some numbers once the car had been driven a bit.

It would also be nice to brag to prius and other hybrid owners that these cars get great mileage too.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Why would you even think this? If you're spending $20k to make loads of power, who cares about the $1k you'll waste or save in fuel? Your tire budget will far exceed your fuel budget.
So because I am spending $20k on a motor, I necessarily don't care about wasting any more gas than necessary to achieve my aims? :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No doubt, its a flipping, get some car, who cares how much gas it uses.

I paid attention when I got mine. I had it at 7mpg, but now that I am more comfortable, Im at 5mpg. havent checked since the supercharger.

But your right about tires, I went thru 3 sets in 3 months last summer and and am on my second set this summer. Never been on a track yet (FYI, I have to race against my buddies GTR, it is a beast, and gets bad gas mileage too)

I am seriously considering this mod, but not til my next deployment this fall

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey, it's a good excuse to use for the wife. Getting better gas mileage is good for the environment and all that ;)
Ignore the fact that my other vehicle gets 8mpg

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
No doubt, its a flipping, get some car, who cares how much gas it uses.

I paid attention when I got mine. I had it at 7mpg, but now that I am more comfortable, Im at 5mpg. havent checked since the supercharger.

But your right about tires, I went thru 3 sets in 3 months last summer and and am on my second set this summer. Never been on a track yet (FYI, I have to race against my buddies GTR, it is a beast, and gets bad gas mileage too)

I am seriously considering this mod, but not til my next deployment this fall
What? you got 7mpg N/A?

I get 20mpg with my SC and drive like an idiot.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Finally tuned!!

The engine is still running on the factory V6 ECU. We have now added a GReddy piggyback ECU which allowed us to tune in the fuel (was running safe but a little lean before) and more importantly to increase the rev limiter. The factory 6400rpm limiter hits before the power even peaks with the bolt-ons we've added to this setup so an increase is a huge improvement. I've revved it to 7200 and while power is dropping slightly at that RPM it's still fairly flat. This engine now has an extremely broad and usable power band.

I ran another autocross over the weekend. With the increased rev limiter there is no more issue with running out of 2nd gear in the straights. And it's still way more car than my driving skills can do justice. I borrowed a friend's windshield cam, should have video later this week.

This week we add an AIM digital dash with datalogging capability and also better wheels and tires. Suspension coming soon as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Fuel economy: I've only started keeping track. Lowest so far was a lot of stop and go driving, some 85mph highway driving and an autocross event. 26.1 mpg. I've seen over 30mpg with better conditions.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
This is great. Look at that torque curve... so flat. What are the next steps? Do you still have a lot of tuning to squeeze more out of the motor, and what bolt-ons have you done to it so far?

Also, now that you've got most of the powertrain parts in there and taken it to the track, how does the car feel balance wise compared to stock? I remember you originally said that the motor weighed about the same as the 2ZZ. Have you had the whole thing on a scale yet?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
This is great. Look at that torque curve... so flat. What are the next steps? Do you still have a lot of tuning to squeeze more out of the motor, and what bolt-ons have you done to it so far?

Also, now that you've got most of the powertrain parts in there and taken it to the track, how does the car feel balance wise compared to stock? I remember you originally said that the motor weighed about the same as the 2ZZ. Have you had the whole thing on a scale yet?
We're working on the built 4.0L NA engine and have also started work on a supercharged setup. 295whp (appx 340hp) is about the limit on the untouched NA engine with bolt-ons and a tune. I'm really happy with it.

Balance is nearly the same as stock- the engine and trans are heavier but we've added a lighter battery and have removed the AC. Exhaust is fairly light too.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Is the AC removal necessary in order to fit the motor, or was that just for weight balance? Also, how much weight does the AC bring with it? Were I to do this conversion, I'd wish to retain the AC for street drivability.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
We're doing another install soon- will look at the possibility of keeping AC. The AC was gone from this car when we got it so we never even considered it the first time around. I still haven't put the top on that car yet.

121 - 140 of 334 Posts