The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great results !

How much is the total weight with AC and full tank?
Is it possible to add Evora’s traction control and cruise control? Variable traction control would be great for drag races and safer in wet or snow roads...
Has the E153 GearBox a LSD installed?
¿What chances of AIM digital dash are there?
How long is total installation?
I would like to install NA engige but it is most likely than in the future I’ll buy the SC kit, are you going to sell it individually? I want to know if installation will be easy (plug&play or something like that) in order to be able to do it by myself (in my home) (I’m living in Spain and I can´t fly with the car every year ;) )
What about the new Ohlins?

P.S.: Were you be able to record some video in the last trackday?.

¿Sounds like these V6 3.2 videos? (Sorry for spam)

Thanks in advance !!
Regards

·
Registered
124 Posts
What piggy back ecu are you running (e-manage)? I'm doing the 2gr swap in my 91 MR2 unfortunately my TEC3 wont do the trick when it comes to variable cams so I'm kind of stuck for any sort of tuning.

You mentioned a supercharger are you going with the eaton or whipple setup. Their are a few of us MR2 guys out their that would like to see a supercharger kit for that motor but the TRD unit is VERY hard to come by and for the price the whipple seems like a better route.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
As cool as that would be, I want to see them release the new Esprit. Then I want to see the sticker and be disappointed, yet still drool.

Who is ready to bet that Lotus will introduce a V6 engine in the Elise/Egixe by end of the year?

·
Registered
251 Posts
As cool as that would be, I want to see them release the new Esprit. Then I want to see the sticker and be disappointed, yet still drool.
I am sure the Esprit will be absolutely fantastic but the price point will also be a shock for STD Lotus owners (as we know it will compete with the top of the line brands).

Hope the V6 Elise or Exige will fill the gap between the new 1.6 Elise and the Evora (especially now that the model S is out).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Finally got some real tires under this thing and the difference is amazing. Tons of grip. Next up are alignment and custom valved Ohlins.

The AIM dash is in. Still have to add some more sensors for oil temp, etc but having a configurable display with an adjustable shift light is a huge improvement. Can't wait to try out the datalogger and lateral accelerometer on track.

Factory traction control is very unlikely for this sort of project since everything from the wheel speed sensors to the ABS unit would need to be swapped over to make it work and then you're stuck with the programming for a 3000 lb car. An aftermarket ECU with traction control would be more doable but unfortunately the quad VVT makes that very difficult at the moment. The NA power is pretty controllable so I'm not sure I'd want traction control at this power level.

We are currently running a completely stock 4.2 E153 with factory viscous LSD. It works fine at this power level. I am thiking about switching to the 3.9 trans and adding a Quaife differential when the power gets bumped up. More usable lower gears, higher top speed in 2nd for autocross, less shifting, better fuel economy. It's not a big difference and I think the 4.2 is probably the hot setup for <300whp.

We're working to put together a complete supercharger package that can be bolted to any 2GR-FE. Testing will start soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
so greddy e-manage? I'm sure you've seen it but their are few of the MR2 guys who have gone thru the E-153 and figured out what gears work best with the engine. Off the top of my head I think the solara gears in 3rd and 5th but I could be wrong. Pheonix power has made some stuff as well but it's a lot of $$$

·
Registered
750 Posts
Factory traction control is very unlikely for this sort of project since everything from the wheel speed sensors to the ABS unit would need to be swapped over to make it work and then you're stuck with the programming for a 3000 lb car. An aftermarket ECU with traction control would be more doable but unfortunately the quad VVT makes that very difficult at the moment. The NA power is pretty controllable so I'm not sure I'd want traction control at this power level.
Matt, I know a guy who can help you with an ECU to handle those needs ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I took the car out to the local 1/4 mile track last week. It was extremely crowded so I only got a couple of passes. This is the best one of the night, my second pass ever in the car. I got a better launch on the first pass but was too slow on the shifting. As you can see this pass is after dark so the track is slippery with condensation. I'm happy with it but am pretty sure it's got a mid-11 in it with better track conditions.

The car's purpose has never been drag racing but it's nice to know what it runs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
A couple of autocross runs. The car desperately needs the alignment and Ohlins suspension package that it's getting next week to get it running up to its potential. Even so, it's an absolute blast to drive with the quick throttle response and great pull coming out of the corners. There was a small rise in the middle of the course that actually got the tires spinning a little near the top of 2nd.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I know a lot of people are against doing this engine swap, but each time I see stuff like this I start to drool...

Honestly, the car IS a lot of fun stock (Exige S anyhow.) There's no *need* to change it. But I admit I love lots of torque. Just have to wait for the warranty to expire...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very nice! See, this kinda thing is whats got me considering sacrificing one of my Porsches, for a Elise. The power to weight ratios are alone something to drool over. Im curious, do the blocks of these toyota motors have a closed deck? What kinda power can the chassis take before it starts to twist? I know noob questions, I havent sifted through posts in detail, but havent found answers to those questions yet. Im really into porsche 4 bangers. Ive got a couple complete 2.5 motors, that could be 2.8-3.0 after a trip to the machinist, some pistons, etc. A 3.0 16v variocam dohc, I think would really fit this car well. Bone stock puts out about 240ish at the crank, normally aspirated. With boost, forget about it. I got 90% of what would be needed in my garage already. Question is if it would fit in the car. Its really cool to see this is a straight swap. It seems this car has a wide variety of engines that can fit into it so far.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
The Elise/Exige chassis handles this (and more) power very well. There is of course no chassis twist because it's a mid-mounted transverse powertrain. Too much torque and traction would eventually pull the front end off the ground, not test the structure of the car.

The decks of these engines are extremely rigid. Both the 4- and 6-cylinder engines have been proven to work very well with boost and generally do not have head gasket issues.

The Porsche 4-cylinders would be far too long to fit between the stock frame rails unfortunately.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Elise/Exige chassis handles this (and more) power very well. There is of course no chassis twist because it's a mid-mounted transverse powertrain. Too much torque and traction would eventually pull the front end off the ground, not test the structure of the car.

The decks of these engines are extremely rigid. Both the 4- and 6-cylinder engines have been proven to work very well with boost and generally do not have head gasket issues.

The Porsche 4-cylinders would be far too long to fit between the stock frame rails unfortunately.
Wow, that is a limiting factor on my front engine Porsches. Thats a pro for the elise. I didnt know that about mid engine cars. Thats means they are capable of serious power. That with super low weight to boot...wow. If the deck holds up, should push lots of boost. The 1.8, with forged internals, and a ton of boost alone would be a lot in this thing. Im liking the possibilities of this car, more, and more.
A larger displacement 4 banger would really be cool in this car. From what of gathered, boring on the 1.8 aint such a good idea. What kind of dimensions are we talking about? Im curious about how much space there is to deal with. So, whats the weak point? Gearbox, dif? My M44 motors are about 32" long, from the flywheel, to the timing belt, and about 27" across including the turbo, manifold, downpipe, etc.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Wow, that is a limiting factor on my front engine Porsches. Thats a pro for the elise. I didnt know that about mid engine cars. Thats means they are capable of serious power. That with super low weight to boot...wow. If the deck holds up, should push lots of boost. The 1.8, with forged internals, and a ton of boost alone would be a lot in this thing. Im liking the possibilities of this car, more, and more.
A larger displacement 4 banger would really be cool in this car. From what of gathered, boring on the 1.8 aint such a good idea. What kind of dimensions are we talking about? Im curious about how much space there is to deal with. So, whats the weak point? Gearbox, dif? My M44 motors are about 32" long, from the flywheel, to the timing belt, and about 27" across including the turbo, manifold, downpipe, etc.
You have to keep in mind that you would need a FWD transmission with your M44 engine for it to work mounted in the back of an Elise/Exige. Or if mounted horizontally, alot of fab work.

Also, there are several 400+hp 2zz engines with just pistons replaced, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure when rod replacement is warranted.

141 - 160 of 334 Posts