The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 944 isnt FWD. The transmission is mid mounted in front engine Porsches. A driveshaft connects the transmission to the flywheel bell housing. Would definitely require some fab work any way you look at it. The 2zz motors with 400hp, whats the powerband look like? Low end torque grunt is always nice.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The 944 isnt FWD. The transmission is mid mounted in front engine Porsches. A driveshaft connects the transmission to the flywheel bell housing. Would definitely require some fab work any way you look at it.
That was my point, I'm well aware of the drivetrain ;)
The 2zz motors with 400hp, whats the powerband look like? Low end torque grunt is always nice.
Generally they generate full tq around 4500rpm. Ronin has a Twincharged 2zz making ~600hp with loads of power at around 2krpm

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
More low-end torque is the one thing I want from any upgrade I do. It's one thing which also keeps me from just jumping right on some of these supercharger upgrades.

M

·
0 Posts
3.5 V6 300+ horsepower. that is not bad.

definately a good option once the 2zz needs to be rebuilt. however I am still at 20 K km. probably another 10 years when the elise are worth nothing but parts.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Neat Project.

Welcome to the Lotus 11s Club. Glad to have another member:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quit all the racing and make me a kit already :drool:
My car has the engine out in the garage just waiting on a "kit" to be available.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great engine but the car feels unstable in the video, too much torque lift up front of the car very easy. Too seems that front tyres slides into curves, low low speed there. The car doesn´t feel natural like an original lightweight Lotus... Maybe with a correct suspensions and geometry...
Anyone thinks like me?

Anyway this is the best conversion for me. Great and clean information, engine and tuner, looks incredible. Feels like an original engine option for the car.
Keep working MWR.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
The handling of our test car has some room for improvement. This has nothing to do with the engine conversion. This is because we have not done a performance alignment on it (understeer) and because the shocks are a bit worn out. We're upgrading to custom ohlins dampers right now and will get the alignment dialed in. The car is stock weight so handling is very similar to a stock 4-cylinder car.

The wheelspin has some to do with a slippery parking lot but a lot to do with a driver who was having an awful lot of fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update on compatibility with the 2011 lid? How about the special lid that you're working on, any pics? This question was asked previously by another member, but it seemed to have fallen through the cracks: is it possible to do the swap and still keep the A/C?
Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
We're working on a customer car (Exige cup) right now and have another one scheduled soon after. As long as we're able to simplify the wiring enough this is all we'll need to get a kit sorted.

Should have Exige bodywork fitment checked out mid next week.

Oh, and after the suspension upgrade on our shop car we found the stock right front shock was BENT. Another little surprise from the previous owner :) I think the handling will be much better now.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Did we ever get an answer on whether or not A/C can be fitted with this conversion? I wouldn't consider the car livable on the street without it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We're working on a customer car (Exige cup) right now and have another one scheduled soon after. As long as we're able to simplify the wiring enough this is all we'll need to get a kit sorted.

Should have Exige bodywork fitment checked out mid next week.

Oh, and after the suspension upgrade on our shop car we found the stock right front shock was BENT. Another little surprise from the previous owner :) I think the handling will be much better now.
Great news! Any word on about how much a kit will run me?

Also, will you guys supply the engine and trans, or can we find them ourself?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
We will be test fitting the ac compressor during this install.

At the moment there is no kit so there are no kit details. We're working on changing that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
We're finishing up our first Exige install right now. It looks fantastic, much less fiberglass work involved.

I also got our yellow Elise V6 back to the 1/4 mile track because after the last visit I hooked up a scanner and found the ECU had a fault code from when we had unplugged a sensor with the ECU powered up. The ECU was operating at reduced power levels then and the car is definitely faster now:

Later that night I bolted up some beat up old drag radials to see if more traction would make a difference. Only got one run in, launched ok but hit the rev limiter in 1st then spun the tires into second. Still, not bad:

Working hard on fixturing all of the parts so we can put together a kit we can ship out this winter.

We'll also be starting on the supercharger install this weekend. :clap:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sweet, can't wait.

Have you worked out if we will be supplying the motor/tranny, or will the "kit" include those items? Just curious as to what parts I need to be on the lookout for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The fact that you guys have figured out this install and are doing it around $20K is singlehandedly convincing me to get an Exige in six months. Part of what held me back before was the forced induction and the lack of torque. The fact that this can be done with only a minor net weight gain is stunning.

I cannot believe that Lotus has not done this. Releasing a factory V6 car would bring the sales numbers *way* up.

Anyway, it looks like I can buy a used $40K Exige, do $20K in motor, plus $10K in a BBK, Ohlins, and misc. crap, and have a completely ass-whomping car for less than the price of a 260 Cup (along with a lower sales tax bill). That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Way to go.

161 - 180 of 334 Posts