The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like opinions from those that have used these gears. Please indicate car usage (track HPDE/TT, race, street) and RPM rev limit and how often you are above 8500 rpm.

I can get new gears and oil pump from Toyota for $109 so need to see if the $645 asking price meets expectations.

Thanks, Rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
I bought their circuitworx gear a year ago, but it was much less at about $300 bucks.
I believe it was made of the same material. Guess there is a SSC tax.:confused:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Would like opinions from those that have used these gears. Please indicate car usage (track HPDE/TT, race, street) and RPM rev limit and how often you are above 8500 rpm.

I can get new gears and oil pump from Toyota for $109 so need to see if the $645 asking price meets expectations.

Thanks, Rob.
Not sure what your timing is Rob, but Elise Parts is making a batch of their own 2zz gears, they are due mid august and will run 175GBP. Geary had sent me a pic and spec, but I don't seem to have that kicking around any longer.
If you're interested, hit up Geary ([email protected]), tell him Mike sent you.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, price does seem a little "steep" considering one can buy an complete (with brackets) external pump kit for $599.

Anyone know much about SSC?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what your timing is Rob, but Elise Parts is making a batch of their own 2zz gears, they are due mid august and will run 175GBP. Geary had sent me a pic and spec, but I don't seem to have that kicking around any longer.
If you're interested, hit up Geary ([email protected]), tell him Mike sent you.
Do you know if mid August is a realistic date? I'll email Geary ... thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
846 Posts
Do you know if mid August is a realistic date? I'll email Geary ... thanks!

Rob
This was like three weeks ago when we were on about this, he's pretty good about dates and the like.

·
Vendor
19 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here is a little background info on our gears....

We were previously using the circuitworx oil pump gears until about a year ago when we had around 4 consecutive premature engine failures on our race engines which are all run on Motec ECU's. Looking back through the data there were no over revs or nothing to cause the engines to fail. We were scratching our heads for a long time and had Castrol involved taking and analysing oil samples before and after race meetings to determine what the problem was in the oil delivery, Not supprisingly they never found anything wrong with the samples. Later in the year we found out there was a "bad batch" in which the profile cut in the middle of the outer gear was off centre. It wasn’t even by any amount that we could really even measure conclusively with the tools in our workshop but they were out of spec none the less. With no other solutions and GT season to finish we had no option but to make our own.

We tested the strength of the original gears and as we suspected they were sintered which is a good process for making precision parts liker these gears but it leaves you with a weak product. So instead we had the gears EDM wire cut from a high tensile steel, we made a couple of other manufacturing considerations which we aren’t going to publically give away but the end result is a much more robust and wear resistant set of gears. We could have CNC'd the gears for much less but we wanted the toughest product possible, EDM wire cutting is the most accurate way of doing it but the process is also slow and expensive which is why someone like Toyota wouldn’t have done it on a big scale.

The company which we have making the gears is ISO certified in quality management which means every batch gets measured and checked after production to make sure they have been made exactly to specifications. When we consider the ~$40,000 worth of total engine failures we had (broken oil pump gears make a mess of everything very quickly) because of the gears we were using beforehand it made sense to us to pay the extra money to make sure that the most critical component of the engine was up to the job.

If you have any other questions about the gears or any of our other products fell free to email me any time on [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response Stu, Email sent. I'm ready for the gears, just need a little more info.

Cheers, Rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the response Stu, Email sent. I'm ready for the gears, just need a little more info.

Cheers, Rob.
Bummer, I just did this myself a month ago...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts