The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been hard at work developing the 2GR-FE engine for more than a couple of years now and it's high time we get to developing more car-specific parts for the Evora. Our plans are big enough to justify the purchase of a dedicated test car and here it is:

I'm very impressed with the car overall and especially the handling but it is in desperate need of some more power. So far we have injectors and most engine internals (including big bore sleeved blocks) available and we now stock a complete lug stud/nut conversion kit. I've never been a fan of lug bolts so we converted our Evora immediately.

Now to see what we have to work with:

The power is smooth. It definitely suffers from some engine bay heat soak which we intend to address with a cold air intake. That, plus a header/midpipe/exhaust system should provide a very significant boost to somewhere near the same output as our V6 Elise which has similar mods:

Of course we'll also be looking at forced induction options. A car with a chassis this good and this much weight can handle a lot more power.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Awesome! You guys totally deserve an Evora to play with. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Evora owners: You guys are totally lucky to have MWR on your side!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Looking forward to hearing what you guys to.

A lot seems to be happening in the Evora world and getting multiple options will be great for the current and future owners of such a fantastic car.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I'm glad you guys finally got a car to start making the parts for. Can't wait to see what you guys will come up with

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I was like whoa that looks like my car! Lol.. I had the sides and front lip done early on but took it off because I kinda got sick of it. Maybe I'll put it back on again :)

Looks great. I look forward to more updates from MWR. Thanks for the notice!

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
Matt,

First 2 things to make:

1. Dead Pedal
2. seat bottom forward/backward lean adjustment. (there is no thigh support in this car)

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
great news for all of us, evora owners.
would be interesting to see some numbers of the 3.7 conversion kit with 12:1 compression as you have your evora in, finally.. it is definitely a project for me.. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are installing cams in our shop V6 Elise today. Looking forward to seeing some higher power and higher revs out of this great 3.5L. The Evora will be getting bolt-ons first. After that we are trying to decide between the all-out high compression 3.7L NA and forced induction. We'll build and test both, it's just a matter of when.

We are doing V6 Elise/Exige conversions in-house because it's a very complex swap. Finished one recently and have another two coming in shortly. It's never going to be as popular as bolt-on superchargers in those cars because of the cost, lack of emissions compliance, etc but the results justify the cost for some.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the Evora out to the track last weekend to get some baseline numbers and get a feel for the car.

I was really impressed with how light and responsive the car felt on track. It's no Exige but it's certainly not some luxury cruiser that just calls itself a sports car.

The stock tires are quite good until they got hot, then they start to go away. The factory tire pressure recommendations are way too high and result in 40/45psi f/r tire pressures after a few laps. I found the tires were much happier around 37/39 f/r hot. I think they may work better even lower.

Video of a lap on overheated tires. This was done with a cel phone and the torque app- pretty cool stuff for $5 software.

2011 Evora lapping at Gingerman Raceway - YouTube

The stock brakes did fine for 20-30 minute sessions in 85F weather. I'm sure I'll need better pads as we add more power and go to r-compound tires.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Took the Evora out to the track last weekend to get some baseline numbers and get a feel for the car.

I was really impressed with how light and responsive the car felt on track. It's no Exige but it's certainly not some luxury cruiser that just calls itself a sports car.

The stock tires are quite good until they got hot, then they start to go away. The factory tire pressure recommendations are way too high and result in 40/45psi f/r tire pressures after a few laps. I found the tires were much happier around 37/39 f/r hot. I think they may work better even lower.

Video of a lap on overheated tires. This was done with a cel phone and the torque app- pretty cool stuff for $5 software.

2011 Evora lapping at Gingerman Raceway - YouTube

The stock brakes did fine for 20-30 minute sessions in 85F weather. I'm sure I'll need better pads as we add more power and go to r-compound tires.

1. I was at 36/38 hot and that was still a bit high IMHO!
2. Don't reinvent the wheel. Radium already has a great CAI.
3. Affordable track wheels!!
4. I'd love a Cobb Stage 2 for the STi type option! Street setting and track settings

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am overjoyed to see this thread. I can speak to the quality of work of MWR as I bought many parts for my 1ZZ and eventually my swapped 2ZZ MR2-Spyder.

Please bring us some parts! I'd love to see: cams, cam gears, pulleys, mandrel bend headers, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts