The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh, Gentlemen. There I was. Minding my own biz on Route 81 in VA, 65 mph, just cruising in the right lane, heading back to TX. Boom. Look over my left shoulder, get that Bad feeling. You know the one. It's not a Camry, it's not an F150, it's a Big Rig. That's Right, the kind with 18 wheels. BOOM he hits me again, 3 times as hard. I spin out of control into a ditch, Thank God whoever dug it piled up the dirt on the inside to make a berm, because it saved my life. The car was about to begin rolling.

Sooo I'll keep you all posted if I get my hands on the wreck. There is plenty to salvage. Just waiting for the insurance co. now. Nice to be back, Among the Living.

Oh, and Yes, I'm in the market for another one. Intercooled and Supercharged this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
:eek:

Wow.

Glad yet another Lotus owner survived an accident :up::up::up:

Did the big rig driver stop?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeppers. He stopped, and about 3 other cars. Quite frankly they were all really surprised that I could speak, breathe, etc. Said straight up, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." That about sums it up. Next car's first mod will be a roll cage. Good Times.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Wow, glad you made it. You sound very composed.

I learnt the hard way that if you are on the passenger side of an 18 wheeler there is a blind spot that runs from in front of their passenger mirror to 20 or 30 feet in front of that. I was hit in my Corolla years ago while in that blind spot.

I always try to avoid that position as much as possible.

Anyways, good luck with the insurance claim.

·
Registered
2006 Elise Supercharged
165 Posts
Wow! glad you are okay. I-81 in VA is an awful road. I was just driving on it this weekend in the snow.
It is known for the large quantity of trucks. Good luck on your new search

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Composure

:) David, I can't lie, what appears to be composure is in fact a combination of "Holy $#!+ I can't believe I'm alive and isnt' that Great" and a Lot of medication. I really thought that it was Game Over.

Wow, glad you made it. You sound very composed.

I learnt the hard way that if you are on the passenger side of an 18 wheeler there is a blind spot that runs from in front of their passenger mirror to 20 or 30 feet in front of that. I was hit in my Corolla years ago while in that blind spot.

I always try to avoid that position as much as possible.

Anyways, good luck with the insurance claim.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Next car's first mod will be a roll cage. Good Times.
I know you're being facetious. If you had had a roll cage you probably wouldn't be here, you'd have likely split your coconut open on it. Generally not a good idea for a street car where you're not wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh my god... So glad you're safe.. So sorry about the Elise, but its much better than your own life..

Time for upgrades!! LOL

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arqray

The hell you will! Why do you think I want the wreck so bad?! Spare soft top and that Can! Damn it I loved that sound. And you're right, I drove the isht out of that car. I'll do it again, too. As far as the roll cage go, that never crossed my mind; I wasn't kidding. I thought that it would have helped. Then again the way I'm going, maybe riding around with a helmet isn't such a bad idea.:facepalm

Speaking of Soft Tops, if I find an Exige, what is the procedure for using the soft top? Do you need to mod the car somewhat?

·
Registered
581 Posts
:) >>>>>I can't lie, what appears to be composure is in fact a combination of "Holy $#!+ I can't believe I'm alive and isnt' that Great" and a Lot of medication. I really thought that it was Game Over.
Glad you are OK … I know how that feels (... game over)… Like you are given a second chance or another chance for that matter.

Sorry about the car, but sounds like you are looking forward to the next hunt for another lotus.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Glad you are ok. That sounded scary.

·
Less is Better
2,882 Posts
Wow, I'm always careful to wait until the entire lane next to the semi is clear and then I quickly drive past it. But that's going to remind me what happens if I don't. Glad you're OK!

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Good to see you weren't shaken up too bad and that it didn't roll.

Curious...were you pacing the semi-trailer (driving side by side for a while), or were you overtaking him in the right lane?

It's the trucker's fault regardless, but this "sorry, I didn't see you" scenario is what's in my mind anytime I'm near one of these big rigs. I'm usually accelerating hard to get around semis or lifting if they pass me - which isn't often!

BTW...I've got dibs on those Pop-Tarts in the passenger seat!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Everybody

Thanks Guys for the good wishes. Much appreciate it.

As far as what I was doing at the time? Best of my knowledge and memory, just chilling in the right hand lane. It was coming to the end of day 1 of a 3 day drive solo (NJ back to TX), had been snowing and raining earlier in the day in DE, and I was just kind of puttering along, not trying to catch any tickets or lose traction. Nice Dead Show on the head unit, 1500 miles to go...

Should I have been more conscious of the Rig's presence and had more situational awareness in relation to my position in his Blind Spot?

Apparently so, Gents... Apparently so.:rolleyes:

On the flip side, now I get the opportunity to try to get my hands on a car that is close to what the yellow one would have become in a few years.

Although today I got humbled quickly by one member's ride. Turns out my dream setup is Big Dollars, so I'll be getting something slightly cooler than what I had but not quite Baller status just yet.

Again, just happy to be alive.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Speaking of Soft Tops, if I find an Exige, what is the procedure for using the soft top? Do you need to mod the car somewhat?
Sorry to see those pictures; glad you made it out to shoot them!

You can use the soft top on an Exige. You just need to install the little plastic "pockets" that hold the bows in place. Easy mod, there are a few instructional threads on the forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts