The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few of us out there , this is a thread about the ups and downs of a car like mine . I got it a year ago for a great deal ( less then 20k) it ran and had a clean car fax and passed a PPI with flying colors so I bought it .. Car is still amazingly tight and everything I wanted it to be . I drove it all summer and had a blast a few weeks ago I got it back out and began the task of fixing all the little bits

Day I got it ( my 36th bday t'was a gift from the wife)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The few things that bothered me were that the inside was gross , and it had no non oem wheels (on a plus note they are great light weight wheels and match my audi s4 ). The nose badge was a goofy "queens mark"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Later I found out the badge was just a sort of sticker cover. Though it looked like a badge. Under it was a legit lotus nose badge !! So with some rubbing and cleaner I was able to get that off

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing that bugged me was how much these lights suck ! Maybe it's because I drive cars with HID LAMPS but god damn these are horrid ! Only one way to go hid install. I could have gone with a drop in. But I don't like sending that much current through the headlight switch , so I opted for a relayed kit from retrofit source

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
FWIW, the headlight switch isn't a 'switch' so much in these cars.. It's just a low-current momentary push-button, that actuates a relay in the "switch pack module". The manual doesn't say what that relay is rated for though, but probably better not to risk it if possible. :) My car has a previously installed HID kit that appears to be plugged directly into the original headlight wiring.

Just found this thread from 2008 showing the insides of the module -> http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/switch-pack-module-any-problems-51573/#post915408 They appear to be 20A/40A relays if it's the HG4117 ones controlling the headlights. The 2 bigger relays appear to be 30A/45A relays, maybe it's those? Can't say from the wiring diagram; you could trace the circuit from the picture of the circuit board, but too much work for now. :)

Car looks great for the mileage, hope mine holds up as well!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks , even at 35-40 amps most hids draw 70 to start , the part that sucked was fining a clean power source in the nose , I engined up running a power and ground with 12 gauge wire ( ohms law anyone ?) Added a inline fuse and ran it from the battery through the cabin. And out via the main engine harness

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Any major drivetrain parts replaced yet? Wouldn't be surprised if you got a newer clutch

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any major drivetrain parts replaced yet? Wouldn't be surprised if you got a newer clutch
Not that I can see , I would not think a corolla would need a clutch at 100k , if I have a issue with the 2zzge I will do a k20 .. But she runs very stong compression was +/- 5psi per cyl so she is still tight inside , I have been toying with the idea of cams and a header

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have a 2009 Elise with close to 70,000 miles on it.

I've been wondering whether there would be any need to replace the shocks. My local garage (non-Lotus) has a sign talking of replacing shocks every 50,000 km. On the other hand I ran a Corolla for about 250,000 miles and 21 years on the original OEM shocks.

Anyone with a high mileage car with thoughts on this? My car has never seen the track and is basically a highway commuter car.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I have a 2009 Elise with close to 70,000 miles on it.

I've been wondering whether there would be any need to replace the shocks. My local garage (non-Lotus) has a sign talking of replacing shocks every 50,000 km. On the other hand I ran a Corolla for about 250,000 miles and 21 years on the original OEM shocks.

Anyone with a high mileage car with thoughts on this? My car has never seen the track and is basically a highway commuter car.
The problem with your Corolla comparison is that you are assuming the Corolla didn't actually need the dampers replaced. It did, you just couldn't tell. Dampers go bad very slowly. And unless two at the same end of the car have completely failed allowing the car to wallow on the springs you are not likely to notice they have gone bad unless you really push the car hard. When you change them you will instantly realize how bad the old ones are.

I recently asked this same question but got no responses regarding the longevity of the OEM Bilstein's. I would certainly replace them with 70K. They may not be unsafe in their current condition, but they aren't really what they should be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well , it used the same engine and tranny as the corolla s and celica gts and it weighs less , so it should have less ware . Have you seen how similar the rear end of a elise and a front end of a lotus are ? The Basically took out the steering rack and bolted it up. The chassis as a whole is different. But that's the suspension geometry and light weigh. As for shocks it's pretty easy , take your wheels of and looks for leaking struts . When the car is on the ground check for excessive " bounce" as in the is no ability for the shocks to absorb the bounce in the spring

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please tell me why a car with a stock Toyota Drive line and electronics and even some basic suspension stuff should not be compared the a car that is heavier and uses the same engine and trans .. Hell I would teach some one to drive stick in a corolla or celica I don't let others drive my elise . But then again it's not the motor and trans that makes the car or we would all be importing rover k series engines ... It's the chassis that makes the elise what it is

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think about it , a celica gts is most likely gonna be driven way harder then a lotus by some 16-23 year old hooligan , the car weighs more and get best on more , but most people would line up to buy a car like with sub 100k miles .. Hell most of you guys barely drive your cars as it is

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a good friend with a Ferrari 360cs .. He wants to get a elise so he can drive it like is do .. That's the freaking benefit to a car like the elise , low cost of ownership and upkeep. Hell my Audi s4 is more expensive in every way

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some other stuff done / started
First here late the hids with hella yellow star high beams

Also decided that the lenses look like crap so I sanded them down with 1500dry the 2000 wet and re clear coated them with spies hecker clear coat

I have had to work for 2 weeks so I will do a final buff when I get home

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also got some kemler air2gel and started on the seats , I moved the bladder down about 3 inches , and added some padding

1 - 20 of 25 Posts