The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleasure of testing a 111R and a Sport pack equiped S2 Type 25 during my trip to England.

I took out a 111R for a drive at a dealer - Stratton in Norwich (thx Guy!). What a blast. It is very fast and very comfortable. I was astounded at the car's composure through some rough B-roads. It is very cushy for a sportscar. I could easily live with this ride quality as a daily driver. I did not come close to reaching it's limits as I was still adjusting to driving on the 'other' side. Steering response was superlative. The only troubling thing was the soft brake pedal. It is much softer than I expected, though it still stops the car quickly. Heel-n-toe was a bit more tricky. I'll reserve my final opinion when I drive a left-handed driver. I suspect some fastidious brake fluid bleeding may help and ss brake lines.

The Sport pack S2 was equipped very similiar to our own package. My friend Greg installed the Lotus Sport shock/spring and the OZ wheels with 048s. This car was definately stiffer than the 111R. Very flat thru the corners. The ride was still very acceptable for me - much like a sport pack equipped Porsche. It is nowhere near as comfortable as the 111R. Of course this is not the exact set-up we are getting but very close. That ride was enough to make me happy that I chose the Sport pack.

This was the most time I had spent inside an Elise. It truely alters your perceptions. Friends, pinch yourselves, this car is going to be unbelieveable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank god, I was semi-stressing because I ordered the LSS as it is a weekend car....there has been a lot of contraversy on the LSS, glad to hear that it isn't kidney breaking hard.

I am in the process of selling an SLK230 with a street race suspension, Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sways, Koni Race shocks and more. The ride was fine with me, tho much stiffer than stock....it handled very well. Couldn't even rock the car by grabbing the roll bars behind the seats.

Can't wait for the Elise!!!!

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
Thank god, I was semi-stressing because I ordered the LSS as it is a weekend car....there has been a lot of contraversy on the LSS, glad to hear that it isn't kidney breaking hard.

I am in the process of selling an SLK230 with a street race suspension, Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sways, Koni Race shocks and more. The ride was fine with me, tho much stiffer than stock....it handled very well. Couldn't even rock the car by grabbing the roll bars behind the seats.

Can't wait for the Elise!!!!
I wouldn't worry too much about the ride quality. For people like you and myself, it seems that what might be a "very harsh ride" to others, is "quite nice" to us.

I own a Wrangler that is lifted rather high. It's bumpy as hell, yet it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm not worried at all about the ride quality when I get my LSS-equipped car. And if a passenger complains, confused stares go a long way. ;) :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zvezdah1 said:
shinoo,
The standard exhaust note on the 111R is quieter than the US exhaust BTW.
Chris
Remarkably the 111R sounded pretty good. Though it was tame compared to Greg's car - ITG intake and sport exhaust with no cat. Of course these cars have different engines...

·
Registered
114 Posts
let 'em wish they did!

My buddy raced his Z06 with the full T1 GM suspension. He couldn't even believe I was considering NOT getting LSS. What do you mean you're not getting the best they've got? Like going to the other owner meets. All the boards warned of how harsh aftermarket suspensions were. I put one on my Supra, at the owners meets, took many for rides and they got out and ordered theirs. General consensus, "Damn does that carve!, the belt left a mark on me, I'm ordering mine". I didn't drive that particular car on weekends. It was right after the divorce and my ONLY car for several months. The WHACK/WHACK of expansion joints never bothered me. I just don't see this car being about any kind of comfort?

personalized tag? NOT CMFY

I can see that on the back of a SY, hopefully this year!!??

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Remember folks that the LSS can be installed by your dealer later. It will cost you about 4k, but it's something to remember. I figured I'd get used to the standard and if I felt I was reaching the limits of the car on a regular basis, I'd take the plunge and get the LSS. Until then I saved 2,500.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Keep in mind also it depends on where you live. Rough roads in Florida are not anywhere near as rough as rough roads in NY or PA. Lastly, the S2 111 S with LSS is not the same as the US car's LSS. I would really like to see/hear a comparison of the US car with and without LSS.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks Shinoo, glad you had fun in the UK!
I never doubted LSS since I drove a Sport 190. I think LSS will do great as a daily driver, track and touring car for me :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds like I made the right choice. It's LSS all the way for me, don't really worry about the roads as we don't get many huge pot holes in CA. We do get some, but none are really that bad. (tho with the car the size of a pea ANY pothole is dangerous!)

What I DO have to worry about is fighting the traffic....maybe need to take a few canyon trips...tho often they can even be busy.

For those of you familiar with the area you probably know what I mean....for those who aren't, think snake like roads when many twistbacks!

Anyone know the ground clearence on an LSS equiped elise?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks Shinoo, sounds like you had a nice time in England, I'm jealous ! Did you hook up with any of the SELOC folks ?

Cheers, Mike

P.S. Check your PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts