The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My Son just saw the LOTUS this evening with his good friend.
He just adores the car and is so excited to get in and go.
My Boy is a major car guy and is picky. Be it a Truck,Van, Suv,or any Exotic he knows the specs.
He has never seen a Lotus Esprit before but he was stunned.
Simon is so used to the 928.
He said that this car is something very different! "looks like when you drive it you better know what your doing or your going to look stupid"
Smile after Smile.
Of course he sat in it and his good Bud. His friend was also very articulate-"COOL-COOL awe it's the ****e" .
This makes me even happier of the car and purchase.
I'm so happy!:D:D:D
Happy Days.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My stepson liked the Lotus when I got it, however after riding in it numerous times, one ride in particular, he is scared to death of it.

Not far from our house there is this very steep whoop-dee-do in the road, I like to hit it in our other cars because its funny to hear my wife and stepson go WHOAAAA! But the time we hit it in the Lotus, I punched it right before the top, and the car actually left the ground, I know this because it screeched when the tires came back in contact with the road (probably because the Lotus is so light), there was this moment of loss of control, but not really. Anyway he was on his phone texting, not paying attention, and he looked at me like "what the &%$#!", but he didn't say it. Since then he wants absolutely nothing to do with it. His friends always look in awe of it though.

He is more of a video game kid, than a things with motors kid. Exact opposite of me at his age 16.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,326 Posts
I wouldn't leave the keys unlocked if I were you Mike! :D

++++++++++

Here's a funny story:

When we first brought our Esprit home, our teenage daughter was unimpressed. :(

"Its just like the one up the street, Dad" was the comment.

Turns out, this guy had an Esprit for several years but he never seemed to drive it. :facepalm My daughter would see it while walking home from school, when he opened the garage door. Of course I drove up and got to know him...

(These days, this guy is into Lambos) :bow:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Such a beautiful post...very heartwarming, it made me smile when I read it this morning. I'm sure you have always been a hero in your son's eyes, but an even bigger hero now :)

When the weather improves and you start driving her, you will be amazed that you receive a similar reaction from complete strangers when you get gas and go to the store. People that you don't even know will come up to you and talk to you like they are long lost friends. A former girlfriend of mine said that riding in the car made her feel like a celebrity...LOL

I remember when I got my first Esprit, a yellow one to which I added a V8/S4s wing. I was driving down Union Street in San Francisco and a movie called "You've Got Mail" had just come out. The line of people for the movie theater went from the middle of the long block, all the way to the corner and then up the hill. As I drove by, every single head in that line turned and followed my car as I went by! I just couldn't believe it...I was like, "This is nuts!!!!" :)

Lots of fun stories and adventures ahead for you, my friend!

Roy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Start brushing up on Lotus Triva Mike, you're going to need it :)

OK for starters... 'Who makes Lotus?'

Is that a 'kit car?'

Does that have a 16 cylinder motor? An elderly lady asked me that one.

One guy actually tried to tell me they were made in Australia :facepalm

It's not just a car... It's an adventure!

+ Everything Roy said and much more. Welcome to the 'family'

Robert

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
:shrug:
[snip]
Turns out, this guy had an Esprit for several years but he never seemed to drive it. :facepalm [snip]
To each his own but after driving my Esprit, I could never let it sit in a garage unless on serious medication ;-)

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you sell the 928? What year?

Post pics of the Esprit?
Hi. Had an 88 S4 and a 90 GT. Sold them within with in 1 year of each other . Sold them both to a friend who got a smakin deal on both.:facepalm
Divorce is expensive!
He knew I was in the market for a Lotus and tried to convince me to buy back-the black GT.
I almost did, considering the memories of that car with my Kids from the past ,but he never got back to me so I went after the Lotus.
15 years ownership and I did everything to them.
I was under those cars more than my x-wife and enjoyed it more.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:facepalm

Definitely quote worthy!
-It's a joke...sort of.

The guys on the 928 forums sure got a good cackle on that one.

Tough crowd-Tough crowd!:shrug:

Have you heard the one about...better not! :wave:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought my 91SE back in October...turns out it was way more of a project than I was lead to believe.
My 16yo son has been at my side every moment I've been in the garage and gets mad at me if I work on it without him. He got his learner's permit just before Christmas and we got the car running about a week later. Naturally he came along for the first test run. The next day, after a few tweaks and adjustments I took him for a ride down to the school parking lot and handed him the keys.
I'm pretty sure that's the happiest I've ever seen him.
He's ridden dirt bikes for years so he picked up the clutch/throttle relationship really quickly. After a few dozen start/stop laps in the parking lot I let him drive it around the neighborhood.
Nerve-racking - YES
Accelerated clutch wear - probably
Worth it so he can say his dad taught him to drive a stick in a Lotus Esprit - most definitely!

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my 91SE back in October...turns out it was way more of a project than I was lead to believe.
My 16yo son has been at my side every moment I've been in the garage and gets mad at me if I work on it without him. He got his learner's permit just before Christmas and we got the car running about a week later. Naturally he came along for the first test run. The next day, after a few tweaks and adjustments I took him for a ride down to the school parking lot and handed him the keys.
I'm pretty sure that's the happiest I've ever seen him.
He's ridden dirt bikes for years so he picked up the clutch/throttle relationship really quickly. After a few dozen start/stop laps in the parking lot I let him drive it around the neighborhood.
Nerve-racking - YES
Accelerated clutch wear - probably
Worth it so he can say his dad taught him to drive a stick in a Lotus Esprit - most definitely!
That's Exactly what I wish to do.
Your Son will never forget that episode.
Way to go Dad.
So happy for you both.
Fantastic.

·
My car sneezes
659 Posts
Hi. Had an 88 S4 and a 90 GT. Sold them within with in 1 year of each other . Sold them both to a friend who got a smakin deal on both.:facepalm
Divorce is expensive!
He knew I was in the market for a Lotus and tried to convince me to buy back-the black GT.
I almost did, considering the memories of that car with my Kids from the past ,but he never got back to me so I went after the Lotus.
15 years ownership and I did everything to them.
I was under those cars more than my x-wife and enjoyed it more.
Sorry to hear man. I'd love to drive a manual 928 GT. I found my 928 S4 before knowing about the GT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dad bought an Esprit when I was 17. It was the coolest thing ever to me and my friends. Together we did upgraded turbo, ecu, injectors, bov, etc.

We really bonded because of that car and we've been very close ever since.

And of course it's the reason I got an Elise and then later a V8 Esprit.

I hope to do something similar when I have a son someday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts