The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great detector this thing has been. I think it is at least 15 years old (maybe even older), and I have not had a single problem with it during that time period.

A few words of warning...The detector started malfunctioning on a trip a couple of months ago, and I didn't send it away initially to be fixed. It was beeping as if there was a radar nearby, but it was doing so incessantly when I knew there was no radar in the area. It was also starting to do weird things like pick up the speed signs going into a work zone, but not pick them up leaving the same zone. One day I plugged it in, it started beeping, I turned the unit upside down, and it stopped beeping, but the unit remained on. I thought maybe that fixed it. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I was driving around with a detector that appeared to be working but actually wasn't picking up any radar signals at all.

So, back to Valentine One, to be repaired and probably updated. In the meantime I bought a cheap $40 Cobra from Target, and I have actually been surprised by how well it functions. Look for a head-to-head $40 Cobra vs. $400 V1 test in the near future.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
What a great detector this thing has been. I think it is at least 15 years old (maybe even older), and I have not had a single problem with it during that time period.

A few words of warning...The detector started malfunctioning on a trip a couple of months ago, and I didn't send it away initially to be fixed. It was beeping as if there was a radar nearby, but it was doing so incessantly when I knew there was no radar in the area. It was also starting to do weird things like pick up the speed signs going into a work zone, but not pick them up leaving the same zone. One day I plugged it in, it started beeping, I turned the unit upside down, and it stopped beeping, but the unit remained on. I thought maybe that fixed it. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I was driving around with a detector that appeared to be working but actually wasn't picking up any radar signals at all.

So, back to Valentine One, to be repaired and probably updated. In the meantime I bought a cheap $40 Cobra from Target, and I have actually been surprised by how well it functions. Look for a head-to-head $40 Cobra vs. $400 V1 test in the near future.

I had a V1 for at least 10 years. WHen i sent it back to Valentine for an upgrade, they no longer use the big bulky case that i originally had. So, they essentially gave me an entire brand new unit with a slighly slimmer case :clap:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a V1 for at least 10 years. WHen i sent it back to Valentine for an upgrade, they no longer use the big bulky case that i originally had. So, they essentially gave me an entire brand new unit with a slighly slimmer case :clap:
That's good to hear, but I have kinda liked that ugly boxy style--I truly believe it kept would-be thieves away. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where can i buy a new one cheap? :bow:

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
wow.... just a teenager. So sad. :(

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks.
What does it mean by 2POP and Euro mode?... :confused:
Wasn't 2POP a rapper? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm pretty sure that you are referring to POP radar. From what I understand, it's kind of like instant-on Ka-band with a very short pulse. It's not very accurate, however, which necessitates use of normal radar in order to get true vehicle speed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow.... just a teenager. So sad. :(
LOL, yeah, but if I consider how most other electronics I have don't last 5 years, I am amazed. Also consider the harsh conditions our detectors have to live in--from freezing temps to melt-your-dash-hot. The V1 has been money well worth spent.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.
What does it mean by 2POP and Euro mode?... :confused:
Did you check out the V1 website? It has quite a bit of information on the various bands and modes of radar used to tame your lead-based foot. Also, if you google "pop mode radar" you can find much information as well.

I live in a very rural area, and I doubt my local police (and even state police in these parts) have the fancy, sophisticated radar systems. I have police officers that come into my workplace daily, and I have tried to engage in conversations with them regarding BEE III and POP mode, and they give me this: :confused: Then they just say, "we all use laser." Funny thing is, all I ever get hit with is K-band. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
That's good to hear, but I have kinda liked that ugly boxy style--I truly believe it kept would-be thieves away. :D

Trust me, the "newer/smaller" case is not that much smaller. Still pretty big :panic:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts